Need advice on a moog purchase please

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Alderige

Need advice on a moog purchase please

Post by Alderige » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:46 am

Greetings moog people!!!

I am saving every penny I can to get my Moog synth, finally after long hours of research it was a choice between the Voyager and an Alesis andromeda so I decided for the Voyager, now that the new Voyager XL has been announced, my question is:

Since the price tag ($5,000 DAMN!!!) is considerably higher, should I wait a little longer and get it instead? or it really makes not that much difference and I should just go with the rack version of the voyager and save me 3 grand?

All opinions are greatly appreciated. thanks! :)
Hardware: Korg M3 88, Radias, Kore2, Alesis MasterControl, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Blue mics

Software: Logic 9 Studio, Waves Mercury, EastWest Composers collection, Komplete 6 & 7, Arturia V Collection, Alchemy, Albino & Predator.

Electrong

Re: Need advice on a moog purchase please

Post by Electrong » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:39 am

That is not a question I'd try to answer for someone. I think that's a lot of money but you're getting a larger keyboard, and basically a Modular setup in addition to the already great feature set of the Voyager. Mostly depends on a couple of factors: Are you into synthesis, and to what degree; and do you have the money to make the purchase. Then you've got to define your needs as a musician. This is a larger instrument and so there's the aspect of its size. If space is a consideration and you don't really want the modular and controller interface, then the Voyager Rack may make more sense. That XL looks pretty cool, don't it?
Minimoog Model D, Roland SH-1, Simmons SDS-8, Rhodes 73 suitcase, Ludwig/Gretsch Drums, Zildjian/Paiste/UFIP cymbals, Various acoustic percussive effects

mayidunk

Post by mayidunk » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:14 pm

Voyager XL - $4,995.00

vs.

Voyager Performer Edition - $3,295.00
VX-351 CV Expander - $295.00
CP-251 - $399.00
Walking Stick Ribbon Controller - $249.00 (http://www.psionicsoundworks.com/index.php/products/)

Total - $4,238.00 ($755 difference)

All prices are listed retail.

Hope this helps!
Bob

(Edited)

EricK

Post by EricK » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:43 pm

If you go by Novamusik Prices you save like 1700 dollars by getting the componants seperately,
Which leaves you for anough money to buy almost 3 slim phaties to go along with it!

I personally would get the XL voyager if I could though...its a monster. I have all of those minus the ribbon controller.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Electrong

Post by Electrong » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:11 pm

The larger keyboard is nice.
Minimoog Model D, Roland SH-1, Simmons SDS-8, Rhodes 73 suitcase, Ludwig/Gretsch Drums, Zildjian/Paiste/UFIP cymbals, Various acoustic percussive effects

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:55 pm

Depends on what you want out of life.

$5k a tidy sum but it's a one of a kind unit. I'm not sure we'll ever see anything like this again and they won't make too many of them (if the # were 200, I'd be impressed).

Value-wise? I wouldn't compare the sum of parts to the whole, as I said above it's unique packaging and a 5 octave kbd cannot be beat on an analog mono synth.

But Eric has the right idea if Poly is of use to you at some point (team with some SPhatty units). If, on the other hand you already have a Poly for strings/pads and do not need more than a 3 octave keyboard, then stick with a Voyager of some type. Novamusik as mentioned is A1 in my book as well.

Similar to Eric, I have a Voyager (though mine is Old School), a vx351 and a bunch of foogers. I also have all of the Poly Analog bases covered with my Oberheim gear; have a Little Phatty tribute as well and if I was starting anew, it would be the XL. But it all comes back to needs. To me that's the center of the universe and could be the center of your mono analog, poly analog, and Midi controller basis not to mention modular controller.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

Alderige

Post by Alderige » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:49 am

Thank you so much for all the responses! :D

My position on analog synths is actually geared towards me being a synth enthusiast and wanting to have the most bang for my buck, I love having the most possibilities and the greatest variety of sounds I can get a hold of, for the last year or so I have acquired many soft synths and although I love them dearly there is just that something that you get out of real hardware that you just can't get with software, hence me wanting to purchase a real analog(s).

aside from my mac/m3 combo purchase this will be the most cash I ever cough up for gear so is hard to decide between getting one BIG piece or a few smaller ones for example for $5000 I could grab me voyager rack, a prophet 8 and a set of taurus pedals or may be a polivox on eBay (not a bad combo either and 3 synths instead of 1 lol) which makes the decision 3 times as difficult.

I might not have the whole 5k until probably February next year but if the XL is still available by that time and you guys were in my shoes would you do that or a combo of synths like the one I mentioned before instead?

thanks again for your replies! :mrgreen:
Hardware: Korg M3 88, Radias, Kore2, Alesis MasterControl, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Blue mics

Software: Logic 9 Studio, Waves Mercury, EastWest Composers collection, Komplete 6 & 7, Arturia V Collection, Alchemy, Albino & Predator.

Krinor

Post by Krinor » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:55 am

Is this your first real analog synth purchase ? If so; Why not just buy a second hand Little Phatty and see how things go ? If you don't like it you can sell it and get your money back. But trust me: You'll probably be spending your money on Slim Phatty's in addition to the LP and by December you could have a polyphonic setup for just 3 grand with a Moog brand and sound all over it... Just my 2 cents.

Electrong

Post by Electrong » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:57 am

I'm salivating over that large keyboard, and all those jacks..

Alderige

Post by Alderige » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:52 pm

I caved in lol I ended up buying a voyager signature edition with the CV expander in eBay for $1,827.00 I'm so psyched about getting this thing :D

pianoman440

Post by pianoman440 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:10 pm

moog
Last edited by pianoman440 on Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:47 pm

Alderige wrote:I caved in lol I ended up buying a voyager signature edition with the CV expander in eBay for $1,827.00 I'm so psyched about getting this thing :D
Good price! Now, make sure it has the filter glide mod and OS updates.
I love my Sig and have had all the upgrades except the aftertouch mod. As soon as my Etherwave comes back from the Plus upgrade, I'm sending the Sig back for tha last of the upgrades and a recalibration/tuneup.
Juet be aware that 1/4 jacks are like crack! I started with one CP-251 and a year later have at least 1 of every Fooger, and an 88 space modular all tied together.
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."