HELP: Minimoog Model D or Minimoog Voyager?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
soulasismusic

HELP: Minimoog Model D or Minimoog Voyager?

Post by soulasismusic » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:49 pm

I am having such a hard time deciding on what to do here. I used to have a Model D and it was stolen. I took it in to a repair shop and when I went back to check on it, the shop was gone. All the equipment and everything. I literally cried because I had lost my baby. Now, the time has come to get another and I really want a Model D but the Voyager would just be so much more convenient. Less money to spend on servicing, and no time away from the studio while on the other hand, if I get a "D" and something goes wrong, it has to be sent out and repairs are costly and take a long time. I haven't spent much time with a Voyager to know the sonic characteristics. Can you all help me out? I have NO idea what to do here.

-B. Williams

david

Re: HELP: Minimoog Model D or Minimoog Voyager?

Post by david » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:14 pm

Go to your nearest Moog dealer and spend some quality time with a Voyager.
Don't forget to bring your credit card with you!

Best,

dml :D

moremagic

Post by moremagic » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:35 pm

david wrote:Go to your nearest Moog dealer and spend some quality time with a Voyager.
Don't forget to bring your credit card with you!

Best,

dml :D
Call and make sure they have a Voyager in stock, a number of places only stock an LP or two and some foogers.
Electra EP-501, Korg MP-4, Korg PS-6, Moog CP-251, Moog MF-101, Moog MF-102, Moog MF-104Z, Moog MF-107, Yamaha DX7

soulasismusic

Post by soulasismusic » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:00 pm

None of the dealers in my area have a Voyager.

Krinor

Post by Krinor » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:13 pm

Get a Voyager Old School. They still turn up on ebay from time to time.

soulasismusic

Post by soulasismusic » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:14 pm

Why the OS versus the Voyager?

Kent

Post by Kent » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:44 pm

Is this for performance on stage? Then get the Voyager.

If not, then write down a list of all the pros & cons, in your mind, and then write down a list of your top requirements. See where these two lists intersect. Et Viola; you'll have your answer.

Krinor

Post by Krinor » Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:52 am

soulasismusic wrote:Why the OS versus the Voyager?
Because it is the closest you can get to a Model D minus all the servicing issues.

Electrong

Post by Electrong » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:53 am

I don't know what the fuss is about servicing issues. Minimoog model Ds are virtually bulletproof (after their initial updating-servicing which is often required due to the age of them.) The one I have did require service but as soon as it was tuned and serviced and an issue with the filter section was addressed, it has needed nothing over the last 2 years, and sounds better every time I turn it on.

These topics are a laugh, really, because the original model D is totally different from a Voyager. I was thinking about trading my D for a Voyager but every time I powered up my Mini and played it, I realized I would regret the decision. So, consider the value of the item in the market and potential appreciation or depreciation of them when choosing between the 2. And, if you can't demo one prior to purchase, NOBODY in their right mind would buy something like that, would they?

That being said, I do believe you should make a serious effort to find a Voyager somewhere and try to get some time to play it. You will need more time than you would need to demo a Mini D because they're much more complicated. But they're very deep. I believe Bob Moog intended the Voyager to be a serious upgrade to the original Mini D--to the extent that he wanted to have a flagship synth that was not just a better Mini--but one that also had modular synth elements in it and some extra tricks. It is a very forward-thinking design.

But even though they're both Minimoogs, they're apples and oranges. A Voyager isn't a suitable replacement for a Minimoog D. Feature-wise, a model D isn't in the same ballpark. Soundwise, the reverse may be true, although that great Moog quality is there in a Voyager. Maybe one day I'll save up enough to purchase a new Voyager. I would get the one with all the bells and whistles, not an old school. That way I could take advantage of all it has to offer.
Minimoog Model D, Roland SH-1, Simmons SDS-8, Rhodes 73 suitcase, Ludwig/Gretsch Drums, Zildjian/Paiste/UFIP cymbals, Various acoustic percussive effects

thewaag

Post by thewaag » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:51 pm

You have lots of good responses here. Let me put in my two cents.

If you are recording and want that true Minimoog sound, go for the Model D. To my ear nothing sounds like it, although admittedly I have never seen or heard an OS. The OS might be my second choice if it captures that Model D shimmer.

If you want more modulation capabilities, then the OS or the Voyager.

If you are playing live go with the Voyager. You can't beat having presets. You can make nice quick and accurate patch changes in poor lighting with ease. The Voyager will sound close enough to the Model D in a live setting to make you happy. Just saw a Heart concert and their keyboard player was using a Voyager and the famous Magic Man solo sounded just like you would expect it to. If you A/B'ed the Model D and the Voyager on this solo, no doubt the Model D would win, but in a live setting, nobody can tell the difference.

I often set up my Model D, my Source, and my Little Phatty for similar patches just for comparison. The Model D is the hands down winner every time. The Source sounds muddy compared to the Model D in many of the open filter type sounds. The Phatty sounds very close to the Model D in most cases, but it just doesn't have the complex harmonics that my trusty old Model D has. Chances are that if you bought an Old School, this would be the case as well. I think that part of the Model D sound is that all of the components are old. This is one of the reasons that I hesitate to send it off to be re-capped. I fear that the sound will change. It is beginning to get some issues, however, but not sonic wise.

Hope that this helps.
Thanks Bob!!