Very much a beginner Mavis question

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Crispy

Very much a beginner Mavis question

Post by Crispy » Sun May 28, 2023 1:20 pm

Hey all, glad to be here! I’m pretty much new to the world of synths, so I’m hoping I’m missing something.

After having a Minilogue and getting used to synths, I bought a Subsequent 37 a week ago. I love playing it, and I haven’t been this excited to play music since I first started playing guitar 30 years ago! I decided to get a Mavis since it seemed to be minimalist while still having the cool patch cables that have always made synths look intimidating and intriguing to me. Plus putting it together seemed neat.

I have it together, and really like the sounds, but the keyboard only plays one note no matter what key I push. Am I missing something obvious? I thought about connecting it to another keyboard to troubleshoot it a little, but I don’t know how to do that either!

I looked for someone having the same problem, but I wasn’t coming up with anything. If anyone could throw out some ideas or suggestions, I’d be grateful. Thanks.

pmumble

Re: Very much a beginner Mavis question

Post by pmumble » Mon May 29, 2023 2:00 pm

It's a monophonic synth with one voice and one oscillator, so that's expected.

Crispy

Post by Crispy » Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:22 pm

But when I look at videos, people are getting different notes from the keys. If it’s a C note, it’s a C no matter which one I press. I would expect it should play the different intervals like the demos show.
But I could be doing something wrong. No patch cables except for the headphones.

pmumble

Post by pmumble » Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:10 am

I'm sorry. I misunderstood. I don't own one and am not sure why that is happening.

sdwillingham

Post by sdwillingham » Sat Jun 03, 2023 3:19 pm

Sounds like an issue in your Mavis. One possibility is that the normaling connection in the 1V/Oct jack is misbehaving. Try patching a cable from the keyboard OUT to the 1V/Oct input. This might work around the problem.

If that works, then maybe plug and unplug a cable into the 1V/Oct jack several times. That might dislodge some dirt in the normaling switch.

Hope that helps.