Non-DAW recording studio hardware suggestion

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
TheDigitalMan

Non-DAW recording studio hardware suggestion

Post by TheDigitalMan » Mon May 09, 2022 4:07 pm

Hi all, looking for some suggestions. I have my main studio setup using Logic with 16 audio inputs. I record with pretty much all hardware synths but use lots of drums, effects, some samples, etc. via Logic. and I'm pretty happy with my setup.

So, my 'problem'.

I spend a lot of time away from my house (studio) and often bring a synth (or two) with me for something to do while I'm away (mainly at the cottage). So I'm wondering about a recording product that'll keep me interested and productive while I'm away. Something that I could create full projects or export and bring into Logic for additional content / mixing etc.

I've been looking at the Akai MPC One - has audio inputs (only 2, but enough for at the cottage)CV, effects, sample library (so lots of drums) etc.

Would love any suggestions - thanks!

Super Synthlord

Re: Non-DAW recording studio hardware suggestion

Post by Super Synthlord » Sat May 14, 2022 3:52 am

Get a 24 bit Tascam, Boss, Roland multitrack with a digital out (file transfer or other system like memory card) your home CPU can read. They are cheapish and can do all.

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Sat May 14, 2022 8:37 am

I repurposed an old laptop for exactly this reason. Picked up a cheap 4ch interface & it's a nice portable setup, that can run the same software I use in my main DAW.

So whole projects w/multitracks are easy to import

Another thing I sometimes use is a Roland TR8 drum machine, which will record all it's tracks individually, along with 2 external sources, into the laptop.

hieronymous

Post by hieronymous » Sat May 14, 2022 10:46 am

How about the Bluebox from 1010music? I think it's designed more as a mixer, but it can record too.

TheDigitalMan

Post by TheDigitalMan » Sat May 14, 2022 2:38 pm

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Appreciate the input.