Fun Speaker recommendation

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
TheDigitalMan

Fun Speaker recommendation

Post by TheDigitalMan » Sun Dec 26, 2021 10:34 am

Hi all and happy Christmas. Looking for a recommendation on new “fun” speakers for my home stuido. Not for mixing, but for inspiration when writing. Headphones a great but I’m finding them fatiguing when playing for long periods of time. Wanting something I’ll feel in my chest :) . Thinking powered monitors but open to suggestions.

Thx in-advance!

Joel

ummagumma

Re: Fun Speaker recommendation

Post by ummagumma » Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:32 am

I'd get a set of powered PA speakers, on stands. Then you can also use them if you end up playing somewhere

francesco

Post by francesco » Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:31 pm

I would prefer a Sat/Sub system of medium size. Easy to place the satellite speakers, easy to carry around and a lot of solid bass.
I.e. something like that: https://www.ld-systems.com/en/series/da ... -xs?c=3075
https://www.youtube.com/user/66superfly Please visit, there is always some Moog in it!

TheDigitalMan

Post by TheDigitalMan » Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:06 pm

Thanks guys for the suggestions. Happy New Years!

cowolter1

Post by cowolter1 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:27 pm

Hi
I've been rocking some Kali Audio LP-6s for a while now. They're a couple of guys who left JBL to start their own company. They're front ported so if you don't have a well treated room it'll still sound pretty decent on the low end.

Ragnorrk

Post by Ragnorrk » Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:40 am

In the case of speakers, I believe the most important factor to consider is what price you can afford. I often advise those who are purchasing their first speaker to make the most of their time and money and invest in quality. If you think that a basic sound is the best your budget will allow, which is okay. You'll need more than $400 to purchase an excellent sounding system. Go to Amazon for reviews and consider the total cost. Check out Craigslist too because some people aren't aware the value of their equipment worth:) Here's what you'll need to buy for an 5.1/3.1 system:

Satellite speakers with a dedicated subwoofer, the amp and speaker wiring and all the other specifications are required for your speaker/amp.

For subs and speakers I would suggest brands like Polk audio, Klipsh, Martin, JBL, Onkyo, Velodyne, Pioneer, Bose and many more. (for speakers that range from $100 to infinity lol. For subs, $100 or more.)

KillerForst

Post by KillerForst » Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:17 am

Rotel provides excellent value for money when it comes to amplifiers. If you don't need a tuner, get an integrated amplifier, preferably one with pre-outs so you can later add a larger amplifier.

I'm torn between bookshelf speakers/subwoofers and full-range speakers. Check out Paradigm loudspeakers - once again, excellent value for money. PSB and Warefedale have reasonably priced bookcases. Also, keep in mind that if you go the bookshelf route, you'll need a good pair of stands, so full range may be better for you and your budget.