MiniMoog Replacement Mod Wheels? Clear ones?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
eric coleridge

MiniMoog Replacement Mod Wheels? Clear ones?

Post by eric coleridge » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:07 pm

It used to be possible to get MiniMoog LED Pitch+Mod wheel replacements from Synthwood, but I guess he's not suppling them anymore. I wish I bought one while they were still available, only, I didn't really want the whole LED assembly, I just wanted the clear wheels. Call me crazy, but those clear Pitch and Mod wheels just look really freakin cool on MiniMoogs.

Apparently they're difficult to make for some reason; they need to be a very precise width in order to fit properly (this is what synth wood told me).

I figured if anyone was currently supplying them, someone on this forum would know. Anyone know?

TOS

Re: MiniMoog Replacement Mod Wheels? Clear ones?

Post by TOS » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:02 pm

I'm planning on taking a stab at making these over the coming weeks. I will let you know how I get on.

Chris
This Old Synth
This Old Synth, the new home of Synthfool's Opto-Key project.
www.thisoldsynth.com

eric coleridge

Post by eric coleridge » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:20 pm

Great, yeah, lemme know. I'll PM you my email.

Bryan B

Post by Bryan B » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:18 pm

I run a laser at my day job and have made a couple clear replacements for a friend who was refurbing a MiniMoog. I could make more. How much was Synthwood charging?
MemoryMoog Plus (with Kenton Midi Upgrade Kit) MF-101 Lowpass Filter, MF-102 Ring Mod, MF-103 Stage Phaser, MF104M Delay, MF-105M MIDI MuRF, MF-107 Freq Box, MF-108M ClusterFlux and CP-251 Control Processor.

Bryan B

Post by Bryan B » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:43 pm

Here is a pic I took of the broken mod wheel (left) and the replacement one (right). The person who requested this, took the pins out of the old wheel and glued them into the new wheel.

The only problem I remember is that I would have to guess on the indent (without one in front of me to measure). I might have that documented...

MemoryMoog Plus (with Kenton Midi Upgrade Kit) MF-101 Lowpass Filter, MF-102 Ring Mod, MF-103 Stage Phaser, MF104M Delay, MF-105M MIDI MuRF, MF-107 Freq Box, MF-108M ClusterFlux and CP-251 Control Processor.

Bryan B

Post by Bryan B » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:53 pm

I just checked and I do in fact have the Indent location documented.

eric coleridge

Post by eric coleridge » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:58 am

He didn't want to sell me the wheels on their own, only the whole LED assembly kit with circuit board, chassis, etc. He wanted around $100 I believe. I kept putting it off cause I only wanted the wheels and I didn't want to spend $100 for a bunch of stuff I wasn't gonna use.

Those look pretty good to me, if you wanna arrange a price, I'm down.

noddyspuncture

Post by noddyspuncture » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:06 am

I would be interested in a couple of those too.... :D

Cheers,
Tom
Bryan B wrote:Here is a pic I took of the broken mod wheel (left) and the replacement one (right). The person who requested this, took the pins out of the old wheel and glued them into the new wheel.

The only problem I remember is that I would have to guess on the indent (without one in front of me to measure). I might have that documented...

Bryan B

Post by Bryan B » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:56 am

How about $15 per wheel or $30 for 2 (Shipped)?

***This is just the wheel (with threaded insert and locking screw) and will not include the 2 metal pins at the bottom.***

I will need a little time to make them, but I will make some extras. Just send me a PM with how many you want and I will get payment when they are ready to ship. I can have clear at the edge or a matte sanded finish (to catch light). Also let me know if you would rather have black, white or some other color and I will check on the material to see if I can do that for you.

These will ship from MN, USA. Outside the continental US will cost extra.

Thanks!

Revtor

Post by Revtor » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:53 am

These looks great, and its cool to see some replacement parts being made. I was at VintageVibe yesterday picking up some keyboard bushings and "toured" their electric piano workshop. Made me think about how Moog was probably very similar back in the early 70's. Their place is right next door to a woodshop too - A great relationship to have! New wood for beat up Mini's could easily be made at a situation like theirs.

Anyway, I'm not going to replace my mod wheels, but if someone ends up with a ridged one they'd sell give me a PM.

~Steve

Bryan B

Post by Bryan B » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:16 pm

Shipping out the first set of clear Mod Wheels to the UK today!

PM me if you need any.

eric coleridge

Post by eric coleridge » Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:04 am

Thanx for the wheels! They're super well made; I was really surprised how perfect they came out.

It wasn't the easiest thing installing them; it takes a little finesse; well worth the effort though. Its a small detail but it adds a lot of class. I love em.
IMG_7262.JPG

Bryan B

Post by Bryan B » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:02 am

The pic above shows the matte (sanded finish). I sold out of my first small run, so I started on a bigger batch to make sure people who want these will get them.

Here are a few pics I took while making the last run:

sunny pedaal

Post by sunny pedaal » Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:27 am

Hallo,
I’d like to ask if you Maybe know where/how i can find two white wheels for my vintage model-d ( serial 2500) ?
Friendly greetigs , leo

Leoschoutrop2gmail.com

Bryan B wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:02 am The pic above shows the matte (sanded finish). I sold out of my first small run, so I started on a bigger batch to make sure people who want these will get them.

Here are a few pics I took while making the last run: