Aladdin's Cave

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
MC

Aladdin's Cave

Post by MC » Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:36 pm

Yesterday I visited emeapp.org to lend some research info over their study of Moog Taurus pedals. Ben Luce is their researcher director who has done excellent analysis on why the Minimoog sounds so fat (his father was Dave Luce of Moog Music).

I got a tour of the museum... holy crap. Biggest collection of vintage synthesizers I have ever seen. Many rare pieces most people would never see. Oberheims, ARPs, Moogs, older Korg/Roland/Yamaha synths, even some European synths. Prototypes. Hammonds, Rhodes, Clavinets, Wurltizers, Vox, Farfisa, even the Kustom "tuck-n-roll" combo organs. Celebrity gear like Keith Emerson (his Moog modular is there), Rick Wakeman, Jon Lord, others. Rare modulars like Moog, Emu, Polyfusion, Buchla, Wavemakers, SMS, Roland 700, ARP 2500, Synthi 100 etc. Warehouse rooms with 40 ft ceilings with stacks and stacks of vintage Hammonds Leslies and guitar amps on industrial shelves. They're working towards being open to the public, adding a studio for artists to utilize the gear, and adding STILL more gear they have in storage.

They have just about every legacy Moog synthesizer made plus prototypes:
- at least 5 modulars
- at least 15 Minimoogs including model A, B, C prototypes and Voyager SE
- Satellite (including a Corodovox "white elephant" and Thomas home organ), Minitmoog, Liberation (two prototypes branded "Moog Equalizer"), Multimoog, Micromoog (plus prototype), Memorymoog (plus prototype), 2x Sanctuarys (re-branded Memorymoog sold to houses of worship), Rogue, Source, prototype digital sequencer, Taurus 1, 2x Polymoog, Little Phatty (do not remember seeing a Prodigy)
- rackmount products parametric EQ, graphic EQ, phaser, synamp, dual VCO, string filter (don't remember seeing a vocoder)

Fricking insane. Frankly one day was not enough. If you love old stuff you need to become a member.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

analogmonster

Re: Aladdin's Cave

Post by analogmonster » Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:21 am

Ok, to keep the metaphor: how can I apply for the job of the 41st thieve? Do they share polyfusion schematics?

MC

Post by MC » Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:50 pm

analogmonster wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:21 amDo they share polyfusion schematics?
I didn't see any repro facilities there, but never hurts to ask.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:59 pm

Checked out the website: wow, that place is INSANE!! Some amazing artifacts/instruments stored there

And some very cool research topics & articles too

Is it in Pennsylvania somewhere? Would be nice to visit sometime, but I couldn't figure out what city they are in?

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:02 am

ummagumma wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:59 pm Checked out the website: wow, that place is INSANE!! Some amazing artifacts/instruments stored there

And some very cool research topics & articles too

Is it in Pennsylvania somewhere? Would be nice to visit sometime, but I couldn't figure out what city they are in?
They are in Philadelphia, but they don't 'advertise' their exact location. Contact them to arrange for a visit.

Markyboard

Post by Markyboard » Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:28 pm

Awesome post - thanks Michael!

Will have to arrange a tour as part of a day visit to Phili.

MC

Post by MC » Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:50 pm

They're closer to Allentown PA.

My guess is they don't broadcast their exact location due to insurance. The building didn't even have a sign on it.

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:59 pm

Yes, that makes sense

At least with a city, you can plan if you are ever in the area

Thanks!