DI + Ampeg SVX

The Moog Guitar is here. The revolution starts now!
winner11john

DI + Ampeg SVX

Post by winner11john » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:05 am

Been tracking for my band at home lately with the usual DI + mic'd amp setup. At the same time, I've also been demo-ing stuff straight DI with Ampeg SVX and an API 550A plugin for some EQ.

I'm no mix engineer, but the tone I'm getting with the DI only route + those plugins is much better than the DI + mic'd cab setup. In fact, every one of my bandmates has been pretty blown away by it. Full low end, great mid-punch, just enough highs. And this is with maybe 5 minutes tweaking. Granted The DI + amp stuff is 'as is' with no EQ, compression or anything because someone else is going to be mixing, so it might not be an accurate comparison - but damn man, the difference nonetheless is pretty amazing.

I'm about 85% convinced that I really don't even need to mic a cab anymore. At this point, I can just DI one track, then clone that track and add Ampeg SVX with SVT4 Pro + 810 + Sennheiser MD421 or RE20 setting, and be more than good to go.

I'm not selling my mics and pre's yet, but it's like . . . you know . . .
Downloadable hip hop beats

pilu323

Re: DI + Ampeg SVt

Post by pilu323 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:51 am

The Ampeg SVT is a bass amplifier made by Ampeg. The SVT, which stands for "Super Vacuum Tube",] was designed by Bill Hughes and introduced in 1969. The SVT bass head produced 300 watts at a time when most amplifiers made less than 100. The SVT has been through many design changes over the years but is still in production today. The SVT head was initially coupled with a pair of sealed 8x10" speaker enclosures because one cabinet could not handle the power of the SVT. Later on Ampeg updated the speakers in the enclosures so that one cabinet was sufficient.

Hair extension