Hiss from mag pickups

The Moog Guitar is here. The revolution starts now!
antcarrier

Re: Hiss from mag pickups

Post by antcarrier » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:37 am

mugwump wrote:I have to say that the hiss is not an issue for me. If you're running higher gain levels, I suppose you might want to invest in an ISP Decimator to knock the hiss out . . . but otherwise, you certainly can't hear it when playing this amazing instrument.
I get noise regardless of how much gain I use.

mugwump

Post by mugwump » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:48 am

Oh, there's some hiss there, but only when not playing. I'm sure it's inherent in the pickups (and unfortunate), but it's not apparent at all when I'm playing. I had an ISP Decimator that totally knocked it out, but even that affected my sound enough to bother me. I'd rather just deal with the hiss and keep playing uninhibited.

BobTheDog

Post by BobTheDog » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:37 pm

Can you record some clean picking using the neck pup and post here.

Cheers

Andy

mugwump

Post by mugwump » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:38 am

BobTheDog

Post by BobTheDog » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:52 pm

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for that, I have had a listen.

Its hard to tell from the you tube video, there is hiss there but to me it sounds like the hiss from the foot pedal not the pickups.

From the audio links though your guitar sounds a huge amount less noisy then mine, also less muddy.

Do you have any recordings without the vo power?

Some very nice drones there as well, nice!

Thanks

Andy

cliffman

Post by cliffman » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:54 pm

mugwump wrote:Andy,

Check my links to audio and video here:

http://www.moogmusic.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=9899

Jeff

http://www.jeffmcleod.net

Jeff the Pearce GR2 you used, is that a solid state amp?
Mine seems to be quieter when using solid state, worse with tubes..

mugwump

Post by mugwump » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:53 pm

Andy,

I don't have any recordings sans VO power, but there are varying degrees of it throughout all the ones that are out there. The hiss I do experience is definitely from the pickups, as the piezos, when run on their own, are dead quiet.

And, Cliff, the Pearce is in fact a solid state amp.

J.

beard

Post by beard » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:49 am

Right I have tried out this guitar now although Half an hour on the thing is too short a time to get any decent sounds as I think it's something to master over time but It was enough time to be impressed by what it does.
As for hiss... I could hear it but it wasn't enough to bother me even with my own equipment (Mesa boogie 2x12 and through various Boss and EHX pedals) but the one thing I was disappointed with was the build! I understand that your paying for the concept and the electronics etc but apart from the smoothness of the neck and fretboard I thought the Guitar felt more like a £400 Ibanez than a 3-4k guitar. I'm seriously in a mindfuck now as I have saved for 2 years for this thing and now I just feel underwhelmed.
Options are:
1. Not bother and stick with the way I work now without the benefit of the sustain and Midi control.
2. Buy it, put up with it's feel and possibly regret it but getting the benefit of something I have always wanted a guitar to do.
3. Buy it, take it apart, build a new guitar and router all the cavaties exactly and put the electrics in that and benefit all round but downsides being possiblity of ruining something and losing altogether.

I am starting a new build right now and could easily work that into it but is it too risky or stupidity. I am confident I can do it but others are telling me I'm crazy to play with that sort of money.

cliffman

Post by cliffman » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:30 pm

Well, if you are a builder there is always option d:

- Call Moog on the phone. Tell them you'll make a body and send
it to them for routing/installation.

See what happens.

beard

Post by beard » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:55 am

Ha, already asked if they would send me the electronics and dimensions to build one quite a while ago and they politely said NO!