To connect a midi pedal to LP. My "LP TAURUS"...

Everything Phatty.
Logos

To connect a midi pedal to LP. My "LP TAURUS"...

Post by Logos » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:01 am

Hi! I have a question on my LP.
I've been created a new taurus moog sound with my little patty.
I have a Roland PK-5A midi pedal that works on midi channel 2.

I'm going to connect the midi pedal to the LP! Of course! :D
I want to play bass pedal (my personal "taurus") but play my LP too, as usual, turning round and around the "value" wheel.
Is it possibile? Does this "double" mode work? Togheter :D ?
How can I set the midi channel 2 to my taurus program?

Thank you very much
Best regard
Moog is forever!
Logos :D

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:22 am

Are you looking for duophony and bi-timbral? (two different notes sounding two different presets at the same time) If so you would need 2 LPs. 1 LP monophonic monotimbral

If you want to be able to quickly switch between preset, play some notes with your hands, switch presets, plays some with your feet, switch back. Then a midi foot controller to send the program (preset) change message might be helpful (tech 21 midimouse / FCB-1010).

I don't think a preset can be set to a specific midi channel on the LP so that a the LP automatically changes to that preset went note info is recieved on that channel. With the FCB-1010 and other foot controllers you can send a CC to change the preset before the note on info gets there. I don't no if you can send CC or program change info with your pedal board.

Portamental

Post by Portamental » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:30 am

I am pretty sure the pedal can be set to any channel, but let's assume it's on channel 2.

You can set midi in on your LP to channel 2... it will play incoming notes from the pedal. LP keyboard still works if you play notes on it. The LP being a mono synth, it can play only one note as a time so it should play according to its settings (last note usually).

Besides operating other specific features of the pedal, that should be as simple as this.

But if you want the pedal to play the taurus patch, and the LP another one, it's up to you to change programs (patches). With two patches in proximity they should change pretty easily turning the value knob.

Logos

Post by Logos » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:59 pm

This was the dilemma: if LP can play two notes - one by hand and one by foot at the same time :wink:
All is clear now.
The "proximity" strategy is the best idea.

Thank you very much for your answers!
Logos :D

mayidunk

Post by mayidunk » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:50 pm

This a question asked in ignorance... please bear with me.

Would it be possible to drive midi software on a laptop with the pedals, that would then send a patch change to the LP, then the note, then another patch change to put it back where it was? Seems like doing something like this shouldn't be too difficult, however like I said, I ask in ignorance and for those of you who have more experience with all this, that it can't be done may be a foregone conclusion.

Hey, maybe I get an "A" for effort anyway, huh? :wink:

Bob

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:22 am

I'm pretty sure a midi translator program could take in a note on message say for C2 on channel "X" and send out a program change message followed by the note information then followed by another program change message. You may have to find a program that will let you set a time delay for the 2nd program change (Especially if the patch has a long release) to avoid the program changing while the note is sounding.

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:15 pm

I don't know who writes the editor librarians, but I am aware that on the Voyager's software (not the Operating system) there is a warp function, where you can warp between two presets or use parts of one program mixed with parts of another. The questoin is whether or not the LP software has this feature.

I don't own the voyager software at this time so I have no idea about it really other than what I read.

This might be somewhat of a solution because I can imagine in realtime having to change a preset before you can hit the note can be difficult.

You may want to consider just getting some taurus pedals, then you would be able to get your duophony AND focus more on the lead side of what you want the taurus pedals to accompany.

I know that this might not be an option though, but its worth mentioning.

Eric

mayidunk

Post by mayidunk » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:57 pm

Sir Nose wrote:I'm pretty sure a midi translator program could take in a note on message say for C2 on channel "X" and send out a program change message followed by the note information then followed by another program change message. You may have to find a program that will let you set a time delay for the 2nd program change (Especially if the patch has a long release) to avoid the program changing while the note is sounding.
Actually, couldn't the second program change be triggered by a key up event message?