What would you like to see in a Poly Little Phatty?

Everything Phatty.
Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:04 am

No digital please...that goes against all that is Moog! :shock: You want digital, go buy a Prophet 08. :lol:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

Franz Schiller

Post by Franz Schiller » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:14 am

Guys, calm down.

But, doesn't the LP already have bits of digital? Like the Noise source? And the S/H source? And MIDI? Clearly it IS possible to implement touches of digital without detracting from the analog signal path.

I was simply wondering aloud if it an analog multimode filter was too expensive to put on poly phatty, if it could be done with a digital side chain...sort of like an effects loop that goes A/D - digital filter - D/A. But if not used, would maintain the analog signal path. Jeez, crucify me for spitballin' will ya'!

BeCAUSE OF COURSE I'd prefer an analog multimode filter.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:40 pm

Digital filters will detract greatly to the quality of sound. Noise and S/H can easily be done digitally without detracting much from the sound. A digital filter, though, is in the direct path of the audio signal, and will have a digital sound...like a RolanKorgaha. I'd pay a bit extra for a multimode filter if it was 100% analog. :wink:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

peterkadar

Post by peterkadar » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:37 pm

Voltor07 wrote: I'd pay a bit extra for a multimode filter if it was 100% analog. :wink:
Yeah, if it had the filter from the Voyager, but with the Phatty's overdrive!!

goldphinga

Post by goldphinga » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:31 am

i would put money on the polysynth having a phatty style interface, there is no way anyone could afford a poly voyager..
Moog Gear: Voyager AE,LP Stage 2+CV outs (Blue LED's/Wheels, MF104SD, MF101 Filter, MF103 Phaser, Source, Memorymoog+, Minitaur.

peterkadar

Post by peterkadar » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:34 am

It would be nice if Moog could do for the Memorymoog what they are doing for the Taurus. If they used an interface more akin to the Phatty (as they have with the T3's multi function buttons), that would probably keep costs down and reliability up because of fewer moving parts.

I could certainly live with digital noise and S/H.

I think Dave Smith has struck a nice overall balance with his gear. Nobody ever complains that his software envelopes or LFO's aren't fast enough.