Roland Gk-3 on it

The Moog Guitar is here. The revolution starts now!
Voltor07

Wow...epic post!

Post by Voltor07 » Sat May 09, 2009 7:01 pm

I've never seen so much said in so few lines. Cool! Thanks for sharing your wisdom, Stuartpa! I am suddenly inspired by your words. Back to the synth rig I go! :mrgreen:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

ColorForm2113

Re: An extension of the moog guitar.:arrow:

Post by ColorForm2113 » Sun May 10, 2009 1:31 am

Stuartpa wrote: I have em, I personally hate em, mostly they come stuffed in with another package of things that you do want. :lol:

I'm still more into the hardware thing than the software thing but you don't get too far without the software.
But when it comes to sounds, they still have not truly managed to create a soft-synth or Speaker emulation or for that matter any emulation that sounds anywhere near as good as the real thing.
sorry for getting off topic but this reminded me of something I was reading about fischerspooners new album. When they recorded the soft synths they ran them out to an old fender bass and marshall full stack and mic'd the cabs :shock: Take that speaker emulation!

Back on topic: moog guitar is amazing
My modular so far: Q104, Q106 x2, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, Mixer and Mankato playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M x2 ( STEREO!) Volca Beats and Bass, Arturia Beat step

Stuartpa

Moog "thing"

Post by Stuartpa » Sun May 10, 2009 2:09 am

sorry for getting off topic but this reminded me of something I was reading about fischerspooners new album. When they recorded the soft synths they ran them out to an old fender bass and marshall full stack and mic'd the cabs Take that speaker emulation!

Back on topic: moog guitar is amazing
No apologies allowed or needed, great talking with you, nice to meet real musicians.
I can handle that kind of speaker emulation Good one. :lol:

After just spending about 3 hours on the Moog guitar, I have come to the conclusion, it only looks like a guitar. It's really something else with an electric guitar built in.

I wonder if you could take all the electronics and so forth and put them into something else, wish I could afford another Moog thing to see if it would work. Soon someone will be selling kits to convert your favorite guitar into something like a Moog "thing". You will have to make sure you wire all the saddles on the bridge and I wonder if they have anything else hidden away in it that is secret ?

:roll: :roll:

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Sun May 10, 2009 10:11 am

Id like to see/hear the vo power used on percussion instruments like cymbals or singing bowls (I think that's what theyre called, brass bowls that you rub a mallet around to create theremin type sounds)

Edit: it can be done I've ebowed cymbals but it lacked the power to create any dramatic sounds but they did sing a little
My modular so far: Q104, Q106 x2, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, Mixer and Mankato playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M x2 ( STEREO!) Volca Beats and Bass, Arturia Beat step

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sun May 10, 2009 12:32 pm

I want a Moog singing bowl! :shock:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

Stuartpa

Post by Stuartpa » Sun May 10, 2009 4:03 pm

Hey mate, ( Not Australian) thanks for your wisdom, I get to keep my gear, I just could not make up my mind, and your message just put it there for me. :idea:

There just isn't a rule that says you get wiser as you get older, you can be dumb or wise no matter what age you are.

Your words also inspired me to really get into the Moog 'Thing Project" and getting out of the guitar Box last night was incredible, even my wife loved it and that is killer.

Probably about the best online conversation I have ever had, it is really nice to know, you are not alone. :D

Stuart

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sun May 10, 2009 8:52 pm

Stuartpa wrote:Hey mate, ( Not Australian) thanks for your wisdom, I get to keep my gear, I just could not make up my mind, and your message just put it there for me. :idea:

There just isn't a rule that says you get wiser as you get older, you can be dumb or wise no matter what age you are.

Your words also inspired me to really get into the Moog 'Thing Project" and getting out of the guitar Box last night was incredible, even my wife loved it and that is killer.

Probably about the best online conversation I have ever had, it is really nice to know, you are not alone. :D

Stuart
You know, the first thing that I thought when I saw the Moog Guitar for the first time, was "It looks like a guitar, sounds like a guitar, but it's unlike any guitar that I'VE ever seen. " As far as I'm concerned, it's not meant to be played like a guitar. But I still don't have enough skill for one. I'd make a video of me playing my $79 Dean, but I don't want to become the laughing stock of YouTube. My synth videos are bad enough. :?

Glad I could post something USEFUL instead of just wasting bandwidth like some members here accuse me of. I too have enjoyed this conversation. Outer space is a great place to visit, and what better way to get there than with a Moog? 8)

ColorForm, I agree that a Moog singing bowl would be awesome! Vo power could actually be implemented almost anywhere there's vibration, come to think of it. Snare drum, perhaps? Endless drumroll! :twisted:

Theremint

GK-3 on it

Post by Theremint » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:57 pm

Well I finally put a GK-3 on the Moog VO guitar. It wouldn't respond well at all near the bridge, so I put it in between the 2 pickups and got a much better response. However the tracking is not so great and not sure if it is because I don't have all divided spots exactly at 1mm. I might just take a gamble and slightly defile the guitar by drilling wholes for a more permanent and accurate fit. On the Roland GR-33 there are patches that do great with sustain (i.e. Mizmer, flutes, 12-string, nylon string, etc.) and there are those that cut out and really don't work at all with sustain like clean tele, organs, strings(symphony types). However this could be due to my poor installation. I would adjust the bridge for each string so that each would be the recommended height from the pup, but I am not sure if I change the bridge height that I will wreck the Vo power responsivness???

Any words from the wise?

Theremint

"Everyone knows that's what Allen sounds like" -- Theremint

Bryan T

Re: GK-3 on it

Post by Bryan T » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:03 pm

Theremint wrote:Any words from the wise?
I'd call Roland and see what they think. I'm surprised you didn't get good results with the GK-3 near the bridge, as that is where it worked best for me on an electric guitar installation. I followed Roland's guidelines and was pleased with the triggering.

Voltor07

Re: GK-3 on it

Post by Voltor07 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:39 pm

Theremint wrote:
Any words from the wise?

Theremint

"Everyone knows that's what Allen sounds like" -- Theremint
On top of what Bryan T said, I'd contact Moog as well to see if height adjustment would affect Vo power...also, maybe a psychiatrist? I know I wouldn't be drilling into a $6500 guitar. :shock:

Theremint

Scalpel, forceps, sponge, OK nurse, close up for me, Thanks.

Post by Theremint » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:39 pm

Thanks for the input, Voltor, and others,

I bought the guitar for its performance and not its looks. If I was just drilling holes just to make holes, then you'd be right, send me to the shrink. But driling holes into a $6500 guitar for a PERMANENT installation of something I'll always use on it is no different then American Airlines drilling into a $35,000,000 jetliner to install a better pitot tube, extra trim flap, or antenna. If the end result is for better performance, then the aesthetics are secondary.

See you backstage at the Grammy's,

Theremint

Voltor07

Re: Scalpel, forceps, sponge, OK nurse, close up for me, Tha

Post by Voltor07 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:45 am

Theremint wrote:Thanks for the input, Voltor, and others,

I bought the guitar for its performance and not its looks. If I was just drilling holes just to make holes, then you'd be right, send me to the shrink. But driling holes into a $6500 guitar for a PERMANENT installation of something I'll always use on it is no different then American Airlines drilling into a $35,000,000 jetliner to install a better pitot tube, extra trim flap, or antenna. If the end result is for better performance, then the aesthetics are secondary.

See you backstage at the Grammy's,

Theremint
Keyword is permanent. I rescind my psychiatrist statement. Good luck with the mod! :D

Theremint

Post by Theremint » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:24 pm

All is forgiven my child. Step into my confession booth and say 3 hail Moishes.

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:47 pm

I use this adhesive stuff that is removable with out damaging the surface underneath. Get it at ACE hardware. Looks like double sided tape but works differently. You leave a bit hanging out of an edge. When you want to remove the tape or item, you pull that bit parrallel to the surface and it streatches and the adhesive releases.
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

Theremint

Thanks for the suggestion.

Post by Theremint » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:32 am

Thanks for the suggestion. I will try it. Where on the body did you wind up placing your divided pickup?

Theremint