Roland Gk-3 on it

The Moog Guitar is here. The revolution starts now!
EricK

Post by EricK » Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:35 pm

One more thing that I think we forgot to consider is that the VO guitars use reinvented strings to facillitate the infinite sustain/mute feature and theres a possibillity that a roland pickup might not read the strings like they normally would.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Gamaliel

Post by Gamaliel » Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:05 pm

Very good and valid point EricK.The strings may cause more lag.On a gr300 the tracking is pretty fast and more forgiving than other the other guitar synths I own.The gr700,some patches dont lag,some can be murderous on the bass strings.Actually it's kinda funny,the bass version of the gr700 had faster tracking than the guitar version.The vg's dont have this problem but with the moog strings you may get some unknown sounds that are not in the vg manual,LOL!!!

Theremint,I dont know if I would use that sticky stuff that roland provides with the roland pup.I had a friend that didn't want to permanently install the pup on his strat.He ended up using the sticky stuff and the velcro.A year later he decided he wanted to take the pup off,and the sticky stuff took a nice chunk of finish with it.

Unless someone out there has a way around this,I may wait for the cheapo cheapo model to come out.I'd hate to screw up the finish.

Theremint

Post by Theremint » Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:53 pm

Thanks for the new info my friends.

Theremint

"Everyone knows thats what Allen sounds like."

Stuartpa

Post by Stuartpa » Sun May 03, 2009 5:26 pm

Voltor07 wrote:Lets see...if 350 Vo guitars are sold at $6495, that would mean they could easily price a "stage edition" around $2000...or roughly the cost of a Rickenbaker. Cool! Of course, the Vo edition will be worth around fifteen thousand a month after they quit producing them...:mrgreen:
After all I have been through with waiting for my Moog guitar and a few probs at the beginning, there is now way I am selling mine unless the price goes over a couple of Mil which I doubtt, so I will get to keep it.

Would you really sell yours

Stuart

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Mon May 04, 2009 4:25 pm

Stuartpa wrote:
Voltor07 wrote:Lets see...if 350 Vo guitars are sold at $6495, that would mean they could easily price a "stage edition" around $2000...or roughly the cost of a Rickenbaker. Cool! Of course, the Vo edition will be worth around fifteen thousand a month after they quit producing them...:mrgreen:
After all I have been through with waiting for my Moog guitar and a few probs at the beginning, there is now way I am selling mine unless the price goes over a couple of Mil which I doubtt, so I will get to keep it.

Would you really sell yours

Stuart
I wouldn't sell mine if I could afford to buy one in the first place. I'm a strong believer in keeping gear. 8)
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

Stuartpa

Keep your gear

Post by Stuartpa » Tue May 05, 2009 3:05 am

Voltor
I wouldn't sell mine if I could afford to buy one in the first place. I'm a strong believer in keeping gear.
Main I sure wish I could give you one, these are definitely worth checking out.

As for keeping gear, well I would have no space for any new stuff if I did that, but guitars are special, all of em, so those stay, but regular electronics well sometimes that just has to go, as soon as I realize i don't use it anymore. Then I think about all the times I had none of this stuff and it really is a heartbreaker watching it go, when you remember how you felt when you first got it, and you remember how much is cost, and you see what you can get for it now, and the people that buy it just about want you to warranty it for them. At that price.
I think you are right keep your gear even if you have to stash it in the basement, and that's all I needed to hear was a little push, thanks Man, appreciate it.
Stuart 8)

Voltor07

Re: Keep your gear

Post by Voltor07 » Tue May 05, 2009 11:15 am

Stuartpa wrote: As for keeping gear, well I would have no space for any new stuff if I did that/snip/that's all I needed to hear was a little push, thanks Man, appreciate it.
Stuart 8)
You're quite welcome for the push. I currently rent a storage shed out for some stuff that is in need of repair but will last a lifetime once fixed up. There's also some stuff there that works fine but won't fit anywhere until I get a place of my own. :lol:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

Stuartpa

Yippee I'm insane I think

Post by Stuartpa » Tue May 05, 2009 6:57 pm

~There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "insanity"~

Well there you go, proof at last, I am insane, thanks mate appreciate knowing. :?

Now putting my excess gear in storage is a brilliant idea, and we could put a bunch of other stuff there we don't need right now as well. I guess the older you get the dumber you get, Ah! Well. :roll:

It really is not worth selling old gear, after all it took to get it in the first place, man I started recording with an old Phillips 2 track tape recorder, a real junk reel to reel, my guitar was a Commodore very cheap 1966 Japanese import, not in any class other than trash. Bust it on stage on my first big gig. When I moved to the US, my sister sent my EKO 12 string to me from England, wrapped in brown paper, she could'n't find the case. I'll give you one guess what I did with the guitar when it got here. After the tears that is. :cry:

That's about the time when I found out just how little it costs to buy gear in the US, and I love it. Everyone I know from Europe comes here and thinks it is great how everything costs so little. I tell them, come and live here and find out the truth, America is one expensive place to live. Zero public transport worth talking about, gotta have at least one car. Health care, man my relatives don't even know they are born when it comes to paying for their medicine Etc.

But this place has really worked out for me, a whole lot better than England did, hard work yes, but at least it was worth it. All I got for hard work in England was free health care, nice to have if you need it.

I have pretty much keep everything I get and as for guitars if I need to, I have a spare, actually by now several spares.
The Moog, is something that I would like a spare of, but I think I will wait on that and see if they do anything new to them first.

Man I sure hope you get one soon, you sound like you are serious about your music an deserve to have one.

Stuart :lol:

Voltor07

Re: Yippee I'm insane I think

Post by Voltor07 » Tue May 05, 2009 9:12 pm

Stuartpa wrote:
~There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "insanity"~
Man I sure hope you get one soon, you sound like you are serious about your music an deserve to have one.

I see you noticed my signature. I saw it on a sign in a Jimmy John's sandwich shop, and LOL'd because it is SO true. :lol: I'm not really that serious of a musician, but I have a passion for creating sounds. I like making improvisations using synth gear, but could always find a place for a Moog Guitar in my rig, even though I can't play guitar to save my life. It pretty much plays itself, though, right? :D

I never would say I deserve an instrument, because IMHO one has to actually be GOOD in order to deserve an instrument. Like, if I had mad guitar skills, I would be making money as a studio guitarist and could afford an Alembic or a Moog Guitar. If I had mad synth skills I'd be making money with pop musicians as a studio producer or something and would therefore own a Modusonics System 55. As it stands right now, I'm a hobbyist with a little more money available than most people would want to spend on synth stuff. I am ridiculed regularly for spending $1800+ on an entry-level synth rig that only plays one note at a time. :lol:

Stuartpa

Moog Guitar

Post by Stuartpa » Wed May 06, 2009 7:24 pm

Sorry man it's like the synth, you still have to play it.

Once upon a time about a lifetime ago, I was a fll time Rock star wannabe, we did OK, but no one in the US or for that matter in the south of England ever heard of us.
It was fun. it was a total burn out and looking back at what happened to a few of my friends, I am glad I quit that side of the business.

NOw that the Grim Reaper draws ever nearer, I sit back here on my mountain top, nad make weird sounds, play my guitars and synths and love it all.

Serious about music, what's that mean.
No one seems to be able to come up with anything new, so what you're doing is great. You are enjoying it right?.

There are so many ways to make a living playing music it is unreal especially now. Even a new sound is worth having. As for your one note Synth, I wish I had the entire original Moog setup, even if it did only play one note, what a note.

Stuartpa

Underlines??

Post by Stuartpa » Wed May 06, 2009 7:27 pm

Now how on earth did I get that message underlined, I guess I should use preview more often.

Voltor07

Re: Moog Guitar

Post by Voltor07 » Thu May 07, 2009 1:52 pm

Stuartpa wrote:Sorry man it's like the synth, you still have to play it.

Once upon a time about a lifetime ago, I was a full time Rock star wannabe, we did OK, but no one in the US or for that matter in the south of England ever heard of us.
It was fun. it was a total burn out and looking back at what happened to a few of my friends, I am glad I quit that side of the business.

NOw that the Grim Reaper draws ever nearer, I sit back here on my mountain top, nad make weird sounds, play my guitars and synths and love it all.

Serious about music, what's that mean.
No one seems to be able to come up with anything new, so what you're doing is great. You are enjoying it right?.

There are so many ways to make a living playing music it is unreal especially now. Even a new sound is worth having. As for your one note Synth, I wish I had the entire original Moog setup, even if it did only play one note, what a note.

You somehow put the brackets around the U in "full". :lol: How? I dunno.

I agree that a one note Moog makes the most powerful note available at any price range. And with some 'Foogers thrown in, the note gets bigger and bigger! :twisted: A Moog guitar would be nice to have, but not $6500 worth of nice. As I said, lacking guitar skills. I'd rather have a Voyager OS and Select mahogany/Jade for that price. Or another custom Phatty and Voyager Select. Or an OS, another custom Phatty, an MF-104z, Bass MuRF, MuRF, and Freq Box. $6500 is a lot to spend on a guitar when one can't play guitar. To be honest, I can't even read music! I know pitch, frequency, BPM...all the technical terms that describe sound. I know nothing of measures, clefts, meter, (or is it metre?). I just make sounds that resemble, ever so slightly, music.

Stuartpa

Post by Stuartpa » Fri May 08, 2009 4:41 pm

I agree that a one note Moog makes the most powerful note available at any price range. And with some 'Foogers thrown in, the note gets bigger and bigger! A Moog guitar would be nice to have, but not $6500 worth of nice. As I said, lacking guitar skills. I'd rather have a Voyager OS and Select mahogany/Jade for that price. Or another custom Phatty and Voyager Select. Or an OS, another custom Phatty, an MF-104z, Bass MuRF, MuRF, and Freq Box. $6500 is a lot to spend on a guitar when one can't play guitar. To be honest, I can't even read music! I know pitch, frequency, BPM...all the technical terms that describe sound. I know nothing of measures, clefts, meter, (or is it metre?). I just make sounds that resemble, ever so slightly, music

I gotta agree, if you can't use it, it's no good buying it at that price. Hell it's a lot if you can use it and play it.
Yes I learnt to read music and all that stuff, but in my opinion, I am more like you, I get it a whole lot better when I can twiddle knobs, push buttons and generally do other things that music notation has yet to describe.
If you follow the old ways. you will never come up with anything new, how could you.
Einstein said, "If I had gone to school for my physics degree I would have been taught relativity was impossible, and I would never have come up with it".

It's the same with music, who cares if it can be written or not. It can always be heard. That's the entire ball game period, at least for me.

I've got a couple of keyboards, a couple of those controller keyboards as well and a ton of soft-synths. I still end up on my real ones, they sound better.
My kid Bro is doing real good and I got him a guitar when he was around 12, and now he is actually making a real good living off it. I taught him how to tune it. Showed him a couple of chords and was out of there.
Next time I heard him play was about 18 years later. He's really good and can't read a note.
If you've got it, then who need to formalize it with so called education.
"We don't need no thought control" "hey teacher leave us kids alone"
True now true then, and true for centuries.

:arrow: Meter is according to the secret written code of music the correct spelling, as long as you are using the English language version of the secret code.:?:

Voltor07

Thanks! Now I don't feel so bad.

Post by Voltor07 » Fri May 08, 2009 7:46 pm

Stuartpa wrote: I gotta agree, if you can't use it, it's no good buying it at that price. Hell it's a lot if you can use it and play it.
Yes I learnt to read music and all that stuff, but in my opinion, I am more like you, I get it a whole lot better when I can twiddle knobs, push buttons and generally do other things that music notation has yet to describe.
If you follow the old ways. you will never come up with anything new, how could you.
Einstein said, "If I had gone to school for my physics degree I would have been taught relativity was impossible, and I would never have come up with it".

It's the same with music, who cares if it can be written or not. It can always be heard. That's the entire ball game period, at least for me.

I've got a couple of keyboards, a couple of those controller keyboards as well and a ton of soft-synths. I still end up on my real ones, they sound better.
My kid Bro is doing real good and I got him a guitar when he was around 12, and now he is actually making a real good living off it. I taught him how to tune it. Showed him a couple of chords and was out of there.
Next time I heard him play was about 18 years later. He's really good and can't read a note.
If you've got it, then who need to formalize it with so called education.
"We don't need no thought control" "hey teacher leave us kids alone"
True now true then, and true for centuries...

Awesome take on the whole thing. I personally don't like soft synths. Can't stand the darn things. It's like the difference between Wii bowling and wood lane, 16 pound ball bowling.

And while not knowing how to read music can be limiting because there are some pieces I'd love to play, I feel liberated knowing that I am not a slave to the notes, if that makes sense.

Stuartpa

An extension of the moog guitar.:arrow:

Post by Stuartpa » Sat May 09, 2009 4:29 pm

Awesome take on the whole thing. I personally don't like soft synths. Can't stand the darn things. It's like the difference between Wii bowling and wood lane, 16 pound ball bowling.

And while not knowing how to read music can be limiting because there are some pieces I'd love to play, I feel liberated knowing that I am not a slave to the notes, if that makes sense.
I have em, I personally hate em, mostly they come stuffed in with another package of things that you do want. :lol:

I'm still more into the hardware thing than the software thing but you don't get too far without the software.
But when it comes to sounds, they still have not truly managed to create a soft-synth or Speaker emulation or for that matter any emulation that sounds anywhere near as good as the real thing.

Just get the music you want to play listen to it and learn to play it, I know that reading it is a lot easier, but even at that you still never get it exactly right first time anyway. I know that some pieces require your fingers to do things that are totally unnatural, at least on a guitar, I am sure it is the same on Keyboards, and that takes practice. So even if you can read the music, it still won't tell you how to play it. I sometimes wonder out of all the so called great concerto's, how many orchestras today, actually play it the way the composer meant it to be. It is always an interpretation done mostly by the conductor that you hear, and he may have got it totally off the way. There are just some things that you can't use the secret code for man. :lol:

I have a couple of friends and both play the Flute really well. She can't play a thing without the music in front of here. Sure she has memorized some things, but mostly needs the music.
Dennis, well he is trying to learn, but halfway through something he has to add his own feelings and something else often a lot better comes out. He just never got tied down to the secret code, and it is secret believe me. During World War II they used good musicians as code-breakers because the were real good at looking at a page of symbols and figuring it out.

If you have learnt to read, well it's OK. You just have to learn to play what you feel and that is not written anywhere except in your heart and your head. Not only that more often than not, only you will ever play that piece properly because you will be the only one who knows what it's meant to sound like.

The really great thing about Moog including the guitar is it is all analog, and we live in an analog world, the rest is virtual, not really there.
I am amazed at what I can get out of the guitar with a Fooger and their analog Delay and nothing else.

"I wish I could just have everything done by analog, I can but nobody will ever hear it except me. Mind you these days, I really don't care all that much.

The reasonable man takes everything as it is and gets by happily changing nothing.
The unreasonable man is never satisfied and therefore tries to improve everything.
This is called progress therefore all progress is the result of unreasonable men."
Can't recall the author's name but he was an American poet. :lol: :lol: :arrow: