Roland Gk-3 on it

The Moog Guitar is here. The revolution starts now!
Theremint

Roland Gk-3 on it

Post by Theremint » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:19 am

Would it be blasphemous to gingerly attach a GK-3 divided pickup to the Moog Vo Guitar? I like having alternate tunings and some of the dual guitar sounds and a few other things that the Roland VG-99 has been doing for me. Maybe some non-permanent two sided tape or some other way, or info that anyone can share with me would be much appreciated. I just don't want to hack up a $6000+ guitar. Also, does anyone know if one plays slide, then will the pickup(s) interpret that as most strings muted or sustain since the slide touches most strings? Or does it go by the picking area over the pickup and what strings are being played over over them? My Aqua guitar will hopefully arrive next month. Hoping it will sound great through my Bose L1 system.

Theremint

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:16 pm

i think the Moog guitar and the roland guitar synth would be awesome together! Specially if you split it to two different amps, you could have one side strictly analog cv and the other side all midi!
now getting the roland pickup on there without hacking up or defacing the guitar is a problem... maybe make a bracket that ataches under the strap button and then mount the Gk system to the bracket, and for the pickup you could use some of that tacky gum-like stuff thats used on acoustic microphone pickups.

my guess with the slide would be, it would probably create some sustain. it looks like it doesnt take much to get the strings singing.

Theremint

Thanks for your opinion and ideas Colorform

Post by Theremint » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:04 pm

Thanks for the input, Colorform. Your comments are keeping me continually inspired to go ahead with my vision. Hope to see you at the Grammys some day.

Gamaliel

Post by Gamaliel » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:55 pm

Hi Theremint,I ordered the aqua myself,should be here early Oct.
I was thinking the same thing about the roland.I also have a vg with tons of alternate tunings.Doesn't the gk system come with some sticky stuff? I had a tech mount the pup on a Clapton strat some years ago,but I think the pup came with some sticky stuff too.

Theremint

Hello Gamaliel

Post by Theremint » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:12 pm

Hello Gamaliel,

From what I remember the GK-3 does come w/double sided tape. I am currently using a Brian Moore guitar with a built-in GK-3 of sorts. We've good taste in guitar color. I have seen many shades of guitars but nothing like the Aqua. If we're going to buy unique expensive guitars, then we should have the most unique color to go with them, right?

Hope all goes well with our purchases,

Theremint

Gamaliel

Post by Gamaliel » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:58 pm

I agree,plus really liked the way the quilt looked with that colour :) I'm looking forward to having a lot of fun with this guitar.

georgeludwig

Post by georgeludwig » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:43 pm

I must admit, I've been thinking the same thing. I've got a GK-3 lying around from a GR-20 purchase, but I've got a Godin Multiac Jazz, so the GK-3 was redundant.

If I can set it up without damaging or modifying the guitar, I'm definitely doing it.

Can't wait until I actually get it!!!!

Theremint

Hello Georgeludwig

Post by Theremint » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:00 pm

Glad to see I'm not naive and that others like you are having the same idea. Can you imagine, running the Moog Guitar string vibtations through a GK-3 to a VG-99 set with dual guitar modeling, then sending the high frequencies to a Maestro Rover RO-1 Amp and the low ends to a bass amp. This arrangement might just put my music on the map.
In addition, just for the record, I'm sure I'll give equal time to using the Articulated and Ladder Filters as well.

When did you order yours? I ordered mine about a month ago (and the store already had one on order a few months before that, so mine should be here soon). Let me know when yours is delivered, and I'll do the same. Gamaliel, if you are reading this, then let us know too when you get your Moog Guitar in.

Theremint

georgeludwig

Post by georgeludwig » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:05 pm

The VG-99 thing is just a crazy thought! I'm a bit more of a luddite...my thinking was to get a 13 pin to 24 pin converter and drive the GR-300 with the Moog Guitar. Yes, I know it would be a relatively limited rig, but within its parameters, I think it would rule.

I ordered my MG a couple of months ago or more. According to Sweetwater, I was the second person to place an order. I should have had it already on Sept. 12, but Sweetwater now tells me Oct. 3.

We shall see.

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:42 am

Man if you did that to your Moog, that would be such a vastly powerful friggin machine!

Nuclear Guitar!
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Gamaliel

Post by Gamaliel » Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:19 am

Will do.I have a converter that I use to drive my guitarviol with the gr300 and my vg8.I admit using a converter didn't accur to me.I can't think of where I got my converter,I know it was from a company in california.If I can find the manual I'll post the name of the company.

Theremint

Post by Theremint » Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:57 am

I'm not sure I understand what you guys are talking about. Is it that with a converter I don't need a divided pickup? If so, do you plug the guitar into the converter with the 1/4" cable or the other cable on the Vo guitar? I also would be interested in the name of the company that sells the converter.

Thanks,

Theremint

"Everyone knows what Allen sounds like."
Last edited by Theremint on Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gamaliel

Post by Gamaliel » Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:15 pm

Theremint,I dont know if this method would indeed work.I have a guitarviol that has a graphtech pup almost the same that's in the moog.Instead of being a piezo it works as a midi pup.To use a gr300,or any 24 pin connect,plus the modern 13 pin I have a converter than takes the 13 pin from the guitar into the box.Then you connect the gr300 using the 24 pin inmput and the other section has the 13 pin for the vg 8 or 99.You still need the divided pup or the graphtech.

All I can say is that with the guitarviol the converter works,I doubt very much that it will work with the moog,at least not without a lil mod work.You'll prolly have to sacrifice the accoustic piezo for the midi,but I think it's the same pup.

Theremint

Post by Theremint » Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:23 pm

Fascinating Captain, I mean Gamaliel,
I think I'll probably wind up delicately putting on a Gk-3 pickup on it. Any new news as for delivery time? I met with the local rep. last week and I couldn't get a word out of him as to delivery times. By the way, I heard from a good source that the number of Ltd. Vo models like we are getting will be only 350.

Cheers,

Theremint

"Everyone knows what Allen sounds like."

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:48 pm

Lets see...if 350 Vo guitars are sold at $6495, that would mean they could easily price a "stage edition" around $2000...or roughly the cost of a Rickenbaker. Cool! Of course, the Vo edition will be worth around fifteen thousand a month after they quit producing them...:mrgreen:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.