the new 'micromoog'.

Everything Phatty.
justbcuz

the new 'micromoog'.

Post by justbcuz » Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:05 pm

How cool! We've got a new 'Moog for the masses'. Sorta like a re-born Micromoog. As a teenager in the '70's, I wanted a Mini, but couldn't afford one, so I got a Micro instead. It's great to see it reincarnated. I wish it had more knobs though (of course). And, as stated elsewhere, a noise source. Also, what about Sample & Hold? All in all though, a great looking synth, and I'm sure, a great sounding one too.

EricK

Post by EricK » Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:27 pm

Actually i thought about the old MicroMoog too. THe poormans Mini. (So ive read it dubbed) But you know in some ways the MicroMoog is fatter then the Voyager?

Im curious to know about the open system capabillity of the LP.

THe LP has 2 oscillators though the Micro has one.

If you go look at the specs of alot of the older Moog synths, they have a tendancy to have 2 oscilators.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Post by Guest » Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:21 am

the model d only really has 2 VCOs if you use OSC 3 as an LFO a lot, which i would.

so for me this new thing looks as cool as the model d, only the thing with the knobs, but you get memory instead so you win some you loose some

analogbass

Post by analogbass » Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:07 am

That's an unfair comparison:

-Micro was only one oscillator. NOWHERE near Mini fatness.

-Micro and the 2-oscillator version the Multimoog did not have the classic Moog sound in some respects, from my experience comparing the Multimoog to my Mini, Source, Prodigy and Memorymoog. A better comparison would be to a Prodigy or Source.
Last edited by analogbass on Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eric coleridge

Post by eric coleridge » Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:48 am

analogbass wrote: A better analogy would be to the Prodigy or Source.
Except the Prodigy and Source weren't designed with Bob Moog. The Micro and Little Phatty are Bob Moog's reduced feature Mini and Voyager.

Yes, I'm a nerd. :?

theglyph

Post by theglyph » Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:53 am

eric coleridge wrote:Yes, I'm a nerd. :?
Around here we are known as Moog Geeks! :wink:

analogbass

Post by analogbass » Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:19 pm

Except the Prodigy and Source weren't designed with Bob Moog.
That's minutiae; I'm referring only to the sound, where there was a discernable difference. :lol:

eric coleridge

Post by eric coleridge » Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:06 am

analogbass wrote:
Except the Prodigy and Source weren't designed with Bob Moog.
That's minutiae; I'm referring only to the sound, where there was a discernable difference. :lol:
I don't know, 2 oscillators yes, but the Prodigy and Source don't sound like a Mini either, to me.

goldphinga

Post by goldphinga » Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:28 am

i reckon the source is as close to a mini as you can get (with only 2 oscs) in terms of sheer rawness and power. The voyager has the essential character but is much more polite,more refined, almost a more compressed sound with as much low end, but a more muffled high end.

This isnt necessarily a bad thing,but its harder to get a voyager to really scream through a track without some hi eq boost. Im thinking they added overload to the LP to get more of the old moog sound back. You could really drive the mixer stage on a mini, memorymoog or source.

9 out of 10 times tho, i still turn to the voyager though the source can do things that the voyager cant in terms of top end sizzle.

Have any LP owners compared their LP with a source yet? I would sell my source if the LP can nail its character. (my LP should reach UK shores this week so ill do a test and post the results).

Id like to know if its got the same top end sizzle and crunch that you can get from a mini or source.

DG
Moog Gear: Voyager AE,LP Stage 2+CV outs (Blue LED's/Wheels, MF104SD, MF101 Filter, MF103 Phaser, Source, Memorymoog+, Minitaur.

analogbass

Post by analogbass » Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:19 am

This is why you really have to try to compare them yourself, side by side-I've read exactly the opposite elsewhere, that the Voyager's actually clearer/brighter on the top end. This makes sense IMO-for the most part all equipment of the last 15-18 years or so has generally better clarity and nuance in the highs, but suffers on the low end in relation to old-school equipment.

The general concensus so far is that the original Mini lilke most vintage synths, has rawness and opaqueness; the Voyager's more refined, polite and clearer on the top end at the expense of overall and low-end rawness, where it's more transparent instead. That said, it's a matter of degree and either will sound great in a mix.

The envelopes are also different; which are better is just a matter of taste. The Voyager's envelopes are tighter.

IMO the best comparisons would be a Voyager and Mini OR Source and Fatty.

goldphinga

Post by goldphinga » Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:25 am

i have to disagree on one point.....

the sources filter opens up much wider and brighter on the top end than the voyager. i have them side by side and theres a big difference. leads easily cut with the source thru a dense mix with the source.
Moog Gear: Voyager AE,LP Stage 2+CV outs (Blue LED's/Wheels, MF104SD, MF101 Filter, MF103 Phaser, Source, Memorymoog+, Minitaur.

cheveux.boucles

Post by cheveux.boucles » Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:34 am

personally, i think the phatty can make some really raw and powerful sounds reminiscent of the original mini...i haven't heard a source in person...so i'm not going to try to compare the lp to it, but the phatty can also make very subtle smooth sounds...it may not be much help, but that's my two cents
Moog LP TE

godzilla

Post by godzilla » Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:03 am

maybe pushing the mixer on the older synths (mini, source) adds some more overtones to make the sound brighter with more high end sizzle

maybe the voyager gives a more accurate sound with less distortions

try setting the VCO levels a bit lower (on the source) than max and then compare it to your voyager, perhaps they'll sound more similar then?

just a thought

goldphinga

Post by goldphinga » Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:40 pm

im gonna do some tests and will attach them on here when i get the LP hopefully this week.

Ill test the source, memorymoog, LP and voyager.

analogbass

Post by analogbass » Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:28 pm

Good; head to head's the only way. I'd suggest at least 2 or 3 sesssions; one isn't enough and after a while objectivity fades with the onset of ear fatigue.

IMO the Source is a one-voice version of a Memorymoog, analogous to a Pro-One and Prophet 5. In terms of sound in polyphonic mode they're similar; the sound changes character in unison-not just more powerful but also more dense, darker, perhaps a little more electronic. Out of unison the 80s polyphonics sound closer to monos IMO.

http://www.moogmusic.com/forum/viewtopi ... 0763#20763