Rip off price in the UK (again)

Everything Phatty.
industrial_gypsy

Post by industrial_gypsy » Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:54 pm

OK, I've now had a quote from Nova Musik which is around $60 cheaper inc. shipping than the UK list price! BUT: There will be customs charges to go on top. Has anyone in the UK ordered synths Stateside and can advise roughly how much the Customs bit will be? Is there a website I can check on?

Boeing 737-400

Post by Boeing 737-400 » Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:50 am

Don't quote me on this, but I think you have to pay 17.5% of the price for VAT, and there are even more charges on top. They take all our bleeping money either way and waste it! :?

The Unknown

Post by The Unknown » Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:17 pm

I ordered my maple AE from the States and still paid less than I would have done if I'd ordered a standard AE from Turnkey (minus Moog logos). The process was simple and I had no problems at all. Highly recommended. :)
It is better to be loved or hated than to be regarded with indifference.
I might look a fool, I might act the fool, but take me for a fool and I'll make a fool of you.
If the past is ill, make the future better.

Post by Guest » Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:57 pm

Micahel Victor wrote:Moog says the tribute will ship at the end of May. A second edition, the “Stage,” will have plastic sides and a different color scheme to the LEDs. The best part is that Moog is hoping to get the price down to much closer to a street price of US$1,000.
That's not summer.

rachel

Post by rachel » Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:40 am

I got a quote for the Australian connection:

Pricing will be $2399 including GST and shipping.
You conversion is aabout correct, not including GST.

We have been confirmed 10 special edition units to Australia.
We are now taking official orders, with a 50% deposit required.

It is a good price - after paying customs and all that I couldn't get it
for that price easily.

rachel

baward

Post by baward » Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:49 pm

Anonymous wrote:I'm in the UK.

The cost of shipping an individual unit would defeat the purpose, but I don't understand why we pay over the odds when distributors can order dozens at a time. Maybe that's a naive statement but I've yet to hear a plausible explanation.
Don't forget that in terms of scarcity, the non-Moog badged Phatty (or any other Moog product) will be by far the more rare product than any Moog-badged one, and will therefore keep its value better in future.

Ben

industrial_gypsy

Post by industrial_gypsy » Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:49 pm

Don't forget that in terms of scarcity, the non-Moog badged Phatty (or any other Moog product) will be by far the more rare product than any Moog-badged one, and will therefore keep its value better in future.
I disagree with this. Everybody wants the badges! Don't forget the graffiti through the manual etc. The fact is, the UK is the only place in the world where Moog has this farce to endure and until that tosser from Wales sees sense, UK supplied Moogs are oddballs!

godzilla

Post by godzilla » Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:36 am

i'd say there would be no difference in value as they are the same product,

however the old pre-new-moog foogers and theremins would probably fetch a higher price in the future.

maybe someone with the old foogers would pay more for the "bob moog" synth to fit in with their other gear?

Jiggz

Post by Jiggz » Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:34 pm

Yes for some reason as soon as a new product arrives in the U.K, it seems like an immediate board meeting is held to see how much they can get away with raising the retail value without too many questions being asked.

And they can get away with this because WE ACCEPT IT!!

WELL DON'T!

Here's what to do:

EVERYONE IN THE U.K SHOULD BOYCOTT BUYING OVERINFLATED MUSIC EQUIPMENT AT HOME AND SHOP IN EUROPE!

Yes in Europe. You will find the prices more what we would expect them to be, and far more reasonable than in the U.K. There are plenty of top class music equipment stores on the continent. I have shopped in Europe many times, and the service has been excellent and most shops speak English.

Here are a few of links to well known and highly regarded music equipment shops in Europe. I have personally shopped at the first 2 and their service was first class. Thomann even has a returns policy whereby if you don't like the goods listed on the hot deals page, then they will give you a full refund if you return the goods within 30 days. This is unheard of in the U.K!

Touched By Sound (Good stock of analogue equipment)
http://www.touched-by-sound.com/shop/n/ ... /overview/

Thomann Cyberstore (Excellent "hot deals", sells almost everything)
http://www.thomann.de/thoiw2_index.html

Schnieders Buero (specializes in analogue synths and processing)
http://www.schneidersbuero.de/index.php ... &sect=news

Make a stand people!
"Maybe Digital will get closer to analog in time, but it'll never be exactly the same".

Dr. R Moog
http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/11.07/play.html?pg=2

Boeing 737-400

Post by Boeing 737-400 » Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:35 am

Oh yes, and for all your computer games/accessories, CD's DVD's etc use www.play.com and you usually get a huge saving and free delivery.

nigeynige

Turnkey prices, the logo and import duties

Post by nigeynige » Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:22 am

I travelled out last year to the factory to catch up with Bob, Mike and the team....brought back my Annivesary model through customs and was lucky enough not to be asked to declare.
The whole reason i went out is
a) I wanted to meet Bob and had previous conversations with Mike regarding getting one direct through Moog.
b) I'd get to see the factory and watch my Voyager being built
c) TURNKEY are hard work when it comes to trying to purchase anything.
Obviously through programming sounds for the Rack mount and version 3 upgrade, I wanted to see them in the RME.
In Turnkey, NOT ONE person could actually scroll through the banks or knew how to operate it. I'd waited 20 minutes for someone to tell me that the salesperson who knew how it worked was off.
d) The customs and excise in the UK is quite high. I had the board shipped over and they charged me £90 on top of the cost just for alowing it into the UK.
THE WAY AROUND IT is.....get in touch with customs and excise, tell them what you are having delivered and get the correct duty OTHERWISE they'll slap a massive price on it because they don't know what it is.
THE LOGO
Well yes Alex Winter has still got the patent on the Moog name in the UK. God knows why he's even bothered to keep it. He's doing nothing with it and I think it gave Bob a massive headache to be honest. I live in Wales and would love to meet him :evil: ...."ALEX....If you read this.....message me and let's have a chat". "If you aren't using it....sell it back mate"
I saw one of the first Mini's he built on a Radio show. I know what mine sounded like. This was close (because he had circuit diagrams), but claimed it had MIDI.....NOT!. I don't think he built more than 5 in total.

Also on a ligher note with Turnkey......They adertised these MINI's in their shop???????? They hadn't been put together....
They'll tell you they have them in stock, take your credit details and then find out there aren't any in stock....

Well, we've got free healthcare, great comedy and nice scenery in the UK, so I suppose TURNKEY, Alex Winter and Customs and excise has to tip the cart in the other direction :)
Nigey Nige

goldphinga

Post by goldphinga » Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:11 am

on that tip ive been going round in circles trying to find a number for uk customs and exise, do you have one? Would be a great help have got some more stuff coming soon from Moog.

cheers
Moog Gear: Voyager AE,LP Stage 2+CV outs (Blue LED's/Wheels, MF104SD, MF101 Filter, MF103 Phaser, Source, Memorymoog+, Minitaur.

nigeynige

Customs and Excise

Post by nigeynige » Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:37 am

This is the link to their website in the UK. Check out the two different ones though. You want to go to CUSTOMS AND EXCISE and the number is
0845 010 9000 (+44 208 929 0152 outside UK).

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/menus/contactus.shtml

Hope this helps you in your quest to get a decent duty on your imports.
I've imported a few things recently and had massive duty to pay.
EVEN FOR MY FLIGHTCASE.
£70 on top.
I could have got one from Turnkey for less.....BUT WOULD THEY HAVE ONE IN?
Nige

industrial_gypsy

Post by industrial_gypsy » Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:11 am

According to Mike, Sound Control are now also official Moog dealers in the UK. Great I thought, a bit of competition for Turnkey, but initial impressions are far from inspiring with them either. I've sent 3 emails asking for a price on an LP, and rang twice and got nowhere. Early days I suppose! :(

Sorry delete this post, we're starting to sound like a right bunch of whinging poms over here

martin

Post by martin » Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:09 pm

isn't that kind of the same shop, just around the corner from turnkey? not sure if it's even competition.
:?: