Post Your Favorite Patch Configuration!

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
falseface11

Post Your Favorite Patch Configuration!

Post by falseface11 » Sun Dec 04, 2005 4:05 am

Please try to stick to multi-unit patch configurations, name your patch, and also use only the newer moog products, so that it is more likely that others will be able to experiment with them.

*NIGHTMARISH VOCODER

vx351 lfo triangle to cp251 mult,cp251 mult to s&h in (cp251), , cp251 lfo square to s&h trig(cp251), cp251 mult to sweep in on mf103, s&h out(cp251) to lfo in(mf102), voyager audio out to mf103 audio in, mf-103 audio out to mf102 carrier in, patch a microphone to mf102's audio in, mf102 audio out to your amplification.

Parameter notes: all applicable parameters can be set to taste. although i would ride the mf102 drive parameter hot to get the "nightmarish" factor.
also the voyagers patch plays a large part in how this sounds. i will post my clips after a few people have tried it.

mic notes: i have found pleasure in using the dirtiest, cheapest dynamic instrument mics, my personal favorite is an old, beat up, water damaged SURE SM57LC instrument mic i have lying around. my next favorite is my echolette 409.

I hope you enjoy this patch config and this thread, dont stay up too late people.
:)

NOTE: A good factory patch to experiment with is 'here it comes'

*I plan on using this patch at my first show, and i plan on releasing a large variety of sugar babies crazed farm animals into the crowd... err for free tickets to this show pm me!! :shock:*

Digory

Post by Digory » Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:00 pm

i like this idea, but since i don't have any of the other moogerfoogers i can't really try out your patch. i do have the cp and a bunch of synthesizers.com modules. maybe if we tryed to be less equiptment specific you know? assuming we all have the basic analog componants.
-Digory Kirke

falseface11

Post by falseface11 » Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:28 am

no prob, the patching description is there for any basic module assuming you have a ring mod with a carrier in. in this patch the lfo out on the vx351 is for "syncing" the phasers sweep modulation to the most typical modulation source or modulation factor of the audible carrier source. so just sub the vx351 triangle out with the most prominent modulation source in the synth patch that you desire to use. the use of the mult is not necessary, but i suggest using it so that if you wish to "sync" another parameter you will not have to repatch. if there is something i did not cover please just ask.

have fun! :)

hieronymous

Post by hieronymous » Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:16 am

Here's a patch I did at least a year ago - I guess I'll call it the "Prolegomenon Frequency-Shift Drone":

Let's see - I think the signal is going from my Rogue into the HAO A/B-Parallel box, in this case splitting the signal. One is going into the MF-101 Low-pass filter, the other into the Frostwave Resonator. The frequency is being swept by the LFO from the MF-103 phaser, which has been split via the CP-251. Each was recorded onto a separate track in Protools.

You can hear it on the track "Minus Prolegomenon" at http://www.audiostreet.net/hieronymous. I sometimes changed the rate of the LFO with the pedal, and near the end added in some noise from the Rogue. I'm also pretty sure that I recorded the drone after the bass and drums were recorded (in Massachusetts - I did the drone in Japan), adjusting the rate and noise as I reacted to the music.

(The reason I took a picture was because I was too lazy to write it down! Also, I think I might have been running the Rogue into the EH Black Finger for some reason, maybe to add a little bit of tubiness to the sound, since after that it was recorded into Protools...)

Duke Foog

Post by Duke Foog » Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:25 pm

very nice man.

i thought of taking pictures of my setups instead of writing down patches, but i still haven't found any good colorful cables yet. my setups always look like such a mess that i wouldn't be able to tell from a pictures what the heck i did!

do you have the moog ring mod too? how does it compare to the frostwave?

ooh, just remembered i just read at harmony central this morning that zvex is coming out with a new ring mod pedal with a sequencer kinda like his seekwha and seektrem. sweet :shock:

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:03 pm

Yes, that picture gives me a clear idea of how the patch was done! I've got to admit sometimes I get some crazy setups like that too.
hieronymous wrote:Here's a patch I did at least a year ago - I guess I'll call it the "Prolegomenon Frequency-Shift Drone":

Let's see - I think the signal is going from my Rogue into the HAO A/B-Parallel box, in this case splitting the signal. One is going into the MF-101 Low-pass filter, the other into the Frostwave Resonator. The frequency is being swept by the LFO from the MF-103 phaser, which has been split via the CP-251. Each was recorded onto a separate track in Protools.

You can hear it on the track "Minus Prolegomenon" at http://www.audiostreet.net/hieronymous. I sometimes changed the rate of the LFO with the pedal, and near the end added in some noise from the Rogue. I'm also pretty sure that I recorded the drone after the bass and drums were recorded (in Massachusetts - I did the drone in Japan), adjusting the rate and noise as I reacted to the music.

(The reason I took a picture was because I was too lazy to write it down! Also, I think I might have been running the Rogue into the EH Black Finger for some reason, maybe to add a little bit of tubiness to the sound, since after that it was recorded into Protools...)
Mark Mahoney
http://www.reverbnation.com/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney

hieronymous

Post by hieronymous » Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:49 pm

Duke Foog wrote:do you have the moog ring mod too? how does it compare to the frostwave?
Unfortunately, I don't have the ring modulator. I've considered it, but there's other stuff I want to get first! The Frostwave Resonator is a filter (it actually has a high-pass and a low pass filter), based on the Korg MS-20 I think?

The ZVex thing sounds interesting - found his comments on it here.

little doodler

Post by little doodler » Tue May 16, 2006 8:57 pm

hieronymous wrote:
Duke Foog wrote:do you have the moog ring mod too? how does it compare to the frostwave?
Unfortunately, I don't have the ring modulator. I've considered it, but there's other stuff I want to get first! The Frostwave Resonator is a filter (it actually has a high-pass and a low pass filter), based on the Korg MS-20 I think?

The ZVex thing sounds interesting - found his comments on it here.
how is the input sensitivity on the frostwave? I used to have a sherman filterbank 2 but sold it because the input had to be driven pretty hard to get a signal. This is one thing I love about the Moogerfoogers, they are real sensitive. :oops:

hieronymous

Post by hieronymous » Tue May 16, 2006 11:50 pm

little doodler wrote:how is the input sensitivity on the frostwave? I used to have a sherman filterbank 2 but sold it because the input had to be driven pretty hard to get a signal. This is one thing I love about the Moogerfoogers, they are real sensitive. :oops:
I haven't had any problems with the frostwave. I play bass, but I rarely plug the bass by itself into the filters - I tend to add compression and distortion first 8) so I don't usually have any gain issues. You're right about the Moogerfoogers, though, the gain knob is great, makes them much more flexible...