just bought my first moogerfooger [MF-102], many questions.

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
DeskLazer

just bought my first moogerfooger [MF-102], many questions.

Post by DeskLazer » Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:27 pm

I just bought the moogerfooger ring mod, having the ability to play it in a store. I loved it, and always wanted it for several years, and finally cracked down and bought one with the expression pedal.

I obviously don't have the dough to get a CP 251, but I'd like to know what kind of mileage I can get out of this pedal.

as I sat around with it, I played with the settings tonight and got some trippy sounds, although the LFO sample [for example] on the webpage was unrepeatable for me. I was trying to figure out how all the stuff works; I'm pretty bright when it comes to physics and electronics, just not sure what kind of routing you guys use on the back with the carrier in/out, lfo out, etc.

I plugged my guitar into audio in, and my signal to the main audio out to amp. I also have a line 6 dl-4 delay modeler [a travesty, I know, but I needed a loop station] and a korg ax1-g multi-effects that I route through there. does anyone have any idea about doing some interesting combinations?

I have an ibanez lo-fi filter that I mainly use for overdrive that I'll use once in a while as well. I read about some of you guys using the main out of the ring mod, going into another device, re-routing through the ring mod, and then sending the signal out. how all did you guys route the stuff?

sorry for all of the questions, I'm just so excited by the prospect of this great piece of equipment, but I needed more than just what the manuals on the sites [and the one in my box] have to offer.

DeskLazer

Post by DeskLazer » Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:30 pm

p.s. I know some of you own multiple foogers, and since I don't currently, if you do have some suggestions about the route and rerouting you guys have been doing with some of the stuff I already currently have, that would be great.

also, does it work well to use the guitar in the input and using another instrument [such as a vocal mic or bass] into the carrier in? I read about people using CD players and the like for the carrier in, but I was wondering about people feeding multiple instruments into it.

falseface11

Post by falseface11 » Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:18 am

i like to use it as a pseudo-vocoder by plugging a mic into the audio input and a sound source (namely the voyager) into the carrier input. i think it sounds amazing and it is very flex, also you can switch the voice and sound source to the opposite inputs, giving you some more crazy chops.
enjoy!
:wink:

OysterRock

Post by OysterRock » Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:50 am

DeskLazer wrote: also, does it work well to use the guitar in the input and using another instrument [such as a vocal mic or bass] into the carrier in? I read about people using CD players and the like for the carrier in, but I was wondering about people feeding multiple instruments into it.
Don't ask. Try! :wink: These devices are best explored through experimentation, don't wait for others to tell you what to do with them.

newname

Re: just bought my first moogerfooger [MF-102], many questio

Post by newname » Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:40 am

DeskLazer wrote:I just bought the moogerfooger ring mod, having the ability to play it in a store. I loved it, and always wanted it for several years, and finally cracked down and bought one with the expression pedal.
congrats! the expression pedal is a good purchase too, imvho.
DeskLazer wrote: amp. I also have a line 6 dl-4 delay modeler [a travesty, I know, but I needed a loop station] and a korg ax1-g multi-effects that I route through there. does anyone have any idea about doing some interesting combinations?
you might try running one side of the delay into the 'carrier' input, and the other side into the 'instrument' input. try longer delays, like a couple of seconds, and experiment with playing sustained tones or drones.

DeskLazer wrote: I read about some of you guys using the main out of the ring mod, going into another device, re-routing through the ring mod, and then sending the signal out. how all did you guys route the stuff?
in my case, i routed the 'carrier out' to the input of my phase shifter, then the output of the phase shifter to the 'instrument in' on the 102. you could do the same thing with your filter, but the carrier wave has very little in the way of harmonics for it to work on. high resonance on your filter might make for interesting modulations though.

as the earlier post suggested - just go for it. take notes so that you can reproduce cool things you discover. :)

lx

asd

Re: just bought my first moogerfooger [MF-102], many questio

Post by asd » Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:26 am

i just got the ring mod recently too. i've found that just experimenting and trying out anything you can come up with is the best way to go.
DeskLazer wrote:although the LFO sample [for example] on the webpage was unrepeatable for me.
for the sample i'm pretty sure they have the lfo amount set up pretty high, and then rate somewhere around 2/3 or 3/4 and it set to a sine wave. just make sure you have a sustained tone going into the audio in and then turn the frequency knob up (mix is probably up all the way and frequency on high). it sounds like they're just cranking the frequency all the way (that's why the pitch gets higher) and then switch the button to "low frequency" and then turn the lfo rate down.

if you use the carrier out as an audio source and just tweak the lfo amount, rate and frequency knobs you can get a lot of neat synth-y type of sounds.

DeskLazer

Post by DeskLazer » Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:29 pm

I understand that I should experiment, but I figured if some other people had some good starting ideas, I could launch from there. I'm probably going to try that delay trick one of you guys mentioned, since I have stereo ins and stereo outs on my delay. I imagine I might plug my guitar into input 1 for the delay, output 1 from the delay into the signal in of the ring mod, then carrier out from the ring mod to input 2 on the delay, then output 2 of the delay into an amp, or through the rest of my rig. hell, I might even try plugging my guitar into the delay, to the ring mod carrier in, then carrier out into the input 2 on my delay into the main in for the ring mod, then finally to my amp. talk about frankenstein! [and a poorly structured paragraph!].

thanks for the suggestions. I know people have submitted some cool settings, but since I have the EQ pedal [I have it CV'ing the frequency knob right now], I might want some more of your suggestions for those of us with only one fooger =)

DeskLazer

Post by DeskLazer » Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:58 pm

oh, one other question before I start frankensteining. if I plug into the main in and carrier in, and only use the main out [I don't have two amps yet], I should get both signals right? or is it that if I plug into carrier in, then carrier out is the only way I'm going to hear its modulation?

[UPDATE]: OKAY YOU GUYS ARE GENIUSES. holy moly, I tried using the lfo out tonight and made some INSANE recordings just playing with the CV and the different knobs. should I post any of my creations here?

DeskLazer

Post by DeskLazer » Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:04 am

oh, just had another idea. guitar to main in, lfo out to carrier in. then main out to amp.

do the foogers have a problem with feeding back into themselves? like is that going to damage my unit? just wanted to find out before I break anything :D

asd

Post by asd » Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:17 pm

DeskLazer wrote:oh, just had another idea. guitar to main in, lfo out to carrier in. then main out to amp.

do the foogers have a problem with feeding back into themselves? like is that going to damage my unit? just wanted to find out before I break anything :D
you can definitely feedback the signal back into a mf. i haven't gotten as crazy of sounds as a thought i would, but i have to experiment more. check it out: http://moogmusic.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2029

DeskLazer

samples!

Post by DeskLazer » Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:25 am

I finally recorded some stuff and posted it. I'll be using it in my band's ensemble at practice tomorrow though :D can't wait to try it out with drums and vocals and bass and cello.

but here's some stuff, tell me what y'all think: http://alhim.com/adam/mooged.htm

asd

Post by asd » Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:58 pm

neat clips! in the first one, how did you get the high-pitched chirping type of sounds that come in at around 30 seconds and iare throughout the rest it?

OysterRock

Post by OysterRock » Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:41 pm

I'm digging "Periodical", reminds me of some early Tortoise stuff. No MoFos, but still good! :D

DeskLazer

Post by DeskLazer » Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:03 am

thanks oyster! asd, I combined it with my line 6 DL-4, using tube amp echo. max repeats, tweaking the delay time, tweak, and tweeze. it sounded like an old-school computer with chirping noises [everyone said birds so far].

DeskLazer

Post by DeskLazer » Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:04 am

oh, and tortoise is sweet.