Taurus Editor

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
Mr Arkadin

Taurus Editor

Post by Mr Arkadin » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:58 am

Well, sorry to rehash this, but I was loving the Sub Phatty video by Amos, when, right at the end, he talks about the fact that it will ship with a plug-in that will allow storage of presets etc.

As the Sub Phatty has some lineage with the Minitaur which has its lineage directly from the Taurus 3, it seems a shame that we still have no editor and no news on if there'll ever be one. I would almost prefer if Moog said it's never going to happen. However, as the Taurus 3 doesn't have all the knobs of a Sub Phatty or Minitaur, a plug-in to stop back aches whilst programming on the floor with one data knob makes the most sense for the Taurus 3 over those other synths.

Oh well...
http://soundcloud.com/luke-antony

metron

Re: Taurus Editor

Post by metron » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:39 pm

I would wager on not seeing a dedicated t3 editor ever. You can use the minitaur editor though. I was able to easily modify some of the knob/cc relationships defined in the main config file. I also took a little time to edit the graphic panel based on the knob ccs i changed. Works pretty well. I bet you can easily mod the presets to work with the t3 as well.
MF102, MF104M, CP251, Minitaur

Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:45 pm

metron wrote:You can use the minitaur editor though. I was able to easily modify some of the knob/cc relationships defined in the main config file. I also took a little time to edit the graphic panel based on the knob ccs i changed. Works pretty well. I bet you can easily mod the presets to work with the t3 as well.
That was on Mac though wasn't it? No idea how to do that on Windows. I have an X-Station template so I can wiggle the knobs to adjust stuff - but then I have nowhere to save it as there is no patches library editor.

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:35 pm

So you are 'just' asking for a pretty (graphically speaking) interface that sends CC's and maybe had some patch librarian functions built in?

It's a matter of time and priority rather than cost of produce or take-up. Moog is very good at improving products after release at zero charge. There has been some complaints about the SoundTower editors and the fact that they cost $$ while Dave Smith (I think) throws his editor in along with the purchase.

I don't have any answers, just putting it into perspective I think. I wish I could program something other than Sys3270 assembler, Cobol, TurboPascal, or Lightspeed C. I sort of lost it when object based development became popular in 1990 and switched gears to be a Unix SysAdmin otherwise I'd be up for slapping something together and releasing as open source.

I think the bigger issue is that Moog may be leveraging a 3rd party to build the editors; not a SoundTower type of relationship but on a contractual basis so it's not simply a matter of one of the Product Mgrs. getting a technical resource within the company to do some moonlighting and put 2 hrs in a night for a month in order to satisfy the 10% of T3 owners that want this; I think there is real money at stake which is why we haven't seen it yet.

I have zero inside information, just guessing based on what I've read here. I have my fingers crossed along with you, but I have a similar dilemma with my Ob Matrix 6 (wish I had a Hardware based editor), and wish that Stern Pinball would 'finish' the code in my Wheel of Fortune Pinball Machine. But they wont ... :(
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:23 am

I have no problem paying. I think people expect software to be free like they expect music to be free, without realising that for some people that is their living. Obviously once money is involved I would expect a certain level of decent programming, something I'm not sure Sound Tower have judging by the comments I've seen.

metron

Post by metron » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:46 pm

Mr Arkadin wrote:
metron wrote:That was on Mac though wasn't it? No idea how to do that on Windows. I have an X-Station template so I can wiggle the knobs to adjust stuff - but then I have nowhere to save it as there is no patches library editor.
Nope, windows. Really there is very little that would need to be done for a t3 specific editor. I think the majority of the work would be for the graphics since all the logic has already been done for the minitaur and it works with the t3 already.
MF102, MF104M, CP251, Minitaur

psynthetic

Post by psynthetic » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:58 pm

EMwhite makes a fair point.. Especially considering that the T3's are a very small part of their product range.

But that being said i think Moog would enjoy a much better reputation if everything actually worked when they released it, MIDI is an old standard, i could understand some problems with OS specific GUI editors, etc, often the manufacturers cop alot of bleep they dont nessecarily deserve because they're trying to make their product compatible with EVERYTHING and in a world of high speed internet, what everything actually IS is constantly changing. BUT core features not working is a totally different story.

The reason i buy a Moog over (for example) a modular unit with a keyboard is because i expect to get a certain level of quality control and after market support.. I shouldn't have to know anything about how software works and be doing tweeks/patches/whatever to find a workable solution... thats what i'd expect if i soldered up my own synth from a kit.. or if i was using Linux instead of Windows/Mac. After all, Moog do like to talk about how their products are designed to be intuitive/ergnomic/"designed for musicians".

The arp/note latch functions on the T3 for instace are a major listed feature, people going months waiting for an update is pretty unprofessional, they were really proudly showing it off in their videos, it baffles me that it could not work for the end user..

That being said, as far as backing up of presets and the like goes.. well, you can always download a DAW like reaper for free and save sys ex messages, but still.. seems like it would be thorough/considerate to make a standalone solution.. I dont mind waiting on updates, but a little bit more effort before it hits the shelves in the first place would be appreciated.

misterpete

Post by misterpete » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:55 pm

for what it's worth, several of the good folks at Moog have told me several times that in-house editors for everything in the product line is a priority goal... given their track record that is good enough for me.
Please Call Me, PETE
https://petedako.bandcamp.com/music
"Mr. Pete" at ModWiggler @petedako on Twitter,
Bandcamp & all the other platforms :D

miamigroove

Post by miamigroove » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:11 pm

misterpete wrote:for what it's worth, several of the good folks at Moog have told me several times that in-house editors for everything in the product line is a priority goal... given their track record that is good enough for me.
That would be great to have for the T3! An editor would allow me to finally remove the factory dust cover that is currently quite dusty! :mrgreen:

sunny pedaal

Post by sunny pedaal » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:49 pm

yes,
problem especially with the t3 is that without editor you have to lift the thing on the table every time you want to edit the sound ,
and then put it back on the ground to play the sound again. and that over and over !

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:10 pm

sunny pedaal wrote:yes,
problem especially with the t3 is that without editor you have to lift the thing on the table every time you want to edit the sound ,
and then put it back on the ground to play the sound again. and that over and over !
Actually, you have to sit on the floor, create a patch, save it, stand up, play that patch, sit back down, create a patch, save it, stand up, and play it. Or, build a motorized lift that picks it up to stomach level, so you can program it more efficiently... :idea:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:21 pm

Motorized lift... you may be onto something.

Do you prefer hydraulics or geared motors with chains and maybe some high end german bearings running up a slide?

I already had my hernia operation (about 20 years ago, and I can still feel it), not to mention that I'm not up to spending much time on the floor because my body doesn't bend that way any more.

I picked up a 25 key Novation SL II specifically for the Taurus but found that despite the ability to tune every parameter at 14 bit where supported, play it with keys, save parameters into a template with meaningful names, that I'm just not that into tweaking the beast. The 52 presets (or whatever) are fine with me. I don't know if that's a sad statement or a testament to it's sonic versatility out of the box.

Selling the Novation now and picked up an Axiom 49 Pro in it's favor. Not 14 bit midi on the Axiom but it has the additional two octaves which I'll use for my other equipment.

But long live Taurus. I've considered selling my Little Phatty several times; first in order to fund part of the Two voice; second to consider a MOS-LAB modular OSC setup; never pulled the trigger on either BUT I have no such thoughts for Taurus III. Taking it with me to the afterlife... (my four year old loves to stomp on it also)
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:34 pm

EMwhite wrote:Motorized lift... you may be onto something.

Do you prefer hydraulics or geared motors with chains and maybe some high end german bearings running up a slide?
I was thinking gears and chains running up a slide. Hydraulics would be a hassle to work with, especially if you blew a hose or coupling on stage. Less likely that a chain would break or high end bearing fail. Also, with hydraulics, you'd need to make sure the pistons weren't under too much pressure at any given time, lest you end up with a Taurus Launcher.
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

calaverasgrande

Post by calaverasgrande » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:51 pm

Indeed, I keep a footstool next to my T3 so I can squat on it while I poke around.
An editor/librarian would be nice.
Speaking of, does ANYONE make a current universal Editor Librarian anymore?
Motu is still selling the same Unisyn from 10 years ago. Doesn't appear to be Mountian Lion compatible.
Soundquests products also make no mention of anything above 10.6 for Mac OS.
My experience has taught me that older Mac programs often rely on binaries that may include deprecated code. And with each new release of Mac OS X they deprecate more old code libraries.
Due to this I won't even look at applications that cost money if they do not mention my OS by name.
Taurus III, Digitone, Dark Energy, OB6, MG1, Grandmother, Blofeld

calaverasgrande

Post by calaverasgrande » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:32 pm

oops, wasn't aware that had double posted.
I blame congressional gridlock.
Last edited by calaverasgrande on Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Taurus III, Digitone, Dark Energy, OB6, MG1, Grandmother, Blofeld