Remember Vibronic Music?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
kenfine

Remember Vibronic Music?

Post by kenfine » Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:44 am

Hello,

Just a note to say hi to lovers of Moog Synthesizers. I had the first all-synthesizer music store in the U.S. back in 1975-1977. It was called VIBRONIC MUSIC. Bob Moog came to our grand opening which was covered by area press. If any of you remember my store, we were located in Ardmore, PA., about 15 miles West of Philadelphia. We supplied Moog products to area college music labs, recording studios, and of course musicians. I personally laid down Moog tracks for Philly Internationally Records, Sigma Sound Studios and Gamble Huff & Bell records. My Modular Moog III tracks appear on albums by the Spinners, Lou Rawls, The O'Jays and other Philly R&B groups of the 70's. Listen to "Rubber Band Man" by The Spinners! I also performed in an all Moog band called the Philadelphia Moog Ensemble.

There is no question, Bob Moog's synthesizers were the best. 30 years later, I can still hear that amazing Low-Pass Filter in my head... Jeez, maybe it's tinnitis!

Ken Fine
www.BlueMoonTalent.Com

triode

Re: Remember Vibronic Music?

Post by triode » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:53 pm

I dont know if anyone or Ken will see this, but I have a 12 inch record of 'The Philadelphia Moog Ensemble"
I still play it every once in a while, remembering Ken, Marc and Rick!!

Larry
[email protected]

CZ Rider

Post by CZ Rider » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:35 am

I remember Vibronic and Ken Fine. He showed me a few cool tricks back in the day. I also remember when Vibronic briefly joined with Community Light and Sound and relocated in Willow Grove PA. Played a Moog 12 at that store, and still have Moog brochures from Vibronic. Ken sold me my Minimoog case back in 1975, and demoed everything from a Mellotron to an EMS Putney. Had a Polyfusion AS-1 with a Vibronic sticker on the back. Those were the days! Although I always knew him as Kenny. You never forget cool people like Ken Fine, a big influence on me.
I think Ken has a web site "Ken Fine is fine". I sholud drop him a line.
1P Modular,Minimoog,VoyagerRME,CustomMinimoog,Prodigy,MG-1 TaurusII,Opus3,Rogue,Source,Liberation,Micromoog,1125S&H,
1130Perc.x2,1150Ribbonx2,Custom1150,1120Pedal,Songprod,CP-251,VX-351
VX-352,Etherwave,Synampx2,Lil'Phatty,Sonic Six

MarbledMoog

Post by MarbledMoog » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:42 am

do a 24/96 digital conversion of the Philly Moog Ensemble LP and spread it around!
MF-101, MF-102, CP-251

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:13 pm

LP?? How about tracking down the original 1/4" master?

kenfine

Post by kenfine » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:27 pm

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for the comments. Unfortunately, I don't even have a copy of our own album. Just a cassette version. The master is long gone! There was a photo of a young child on the cover and he has since contacted me. He has a copy of the album and has not had the time to make a file for me.

A little update. After I closed Vibroic Music Services, I returned to school and became a psychologist. I left psychology in 2001 and got back into entertainment. I now own a corporate entertainment agency, speakers bureau and production company in Denver, CO. www.bluemoontalent.com. I also dabble around with video and have a photo studio on the side.

One of the highlights of my life was operating the first synthesizer store in the U.S. and having Bob Moog at my grand opening (1975). Bob also took me on a tour of his factory in Buffalo, NY.... or somewhere near there.

I have tried to contact my former business partner, Mark Paturka, but no luck.

What happened to the music business?!?

Sincerely,

Kenny Fine
[email protected]
Ken Fine
President & CEO
Blue Moon Talent, Inc.

MC

Post by MC » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:15 pm

kenfine wrote:What happened to the music business?!?
It's now a music cartel. The beancounters and lawyers took over, and the RIAA is suing customers who download music because the labels are trying to perpetuate their obsolete distribution model.

To reward their efforts, I no longer listen to broadcast radio and my CD buying habits have dropped to near nothing.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

kenfine

Post by kenfine » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:31 pm

I am aware that ASCAP and BMI are having problems because there are no more CD sales. So they are going after everyone! They are harassing many band websites for posting demos. It's totally unfair. These guys just want gigs and need a demo up on their site or they won't get booked. The idea is if the band plays in a public place, people would (hopefully) be inspired to actually purchase an mp3 file of a song they heard. But to make any cover band pay for performing is obscene. Do you pay to walk into an art gallery and look at photos? NO. Why should music be any different. Why should a mom & pop store have to pay ASCAP for a small radio in the back room? A visual artist (painter/photographer etc.) gets paid AFTER they sell their work, not when somone looks at it.

I think a class action suit should be brought against all three of the major licensing agencies by the zillions of cover bands. It's a restriction of trade in my opinion. But hey, I'm not a lawyer.

Just my thoughts :)
Ken Fine
President & CEO
Blue Moon Talent, Inc.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:05 am

kenfine wrote:I am aware that ASCAP and BMI are having problems because there are no more CD sales. So they are going after everyone! They are harassing many band websites for posting demos. It's totally unfair. These guys just want gigs and need a demo up on their site or they won't get booked. The idea is if the band plays in a public place, people would (hopefully) be inspired to actually purchase an mp3 file of a song they heard. But to make any cover band pay for performing is obscene. Do you pay to walk into an art gallery and look at photos? NO. Why should music be any different. Why should a mom & pop store have to pay ASCAP for a small radio in the back room? A visual artist (painter/photographer etc.) gets paid AFTER they sell their work, not when somone looks at it.

I think a class action suit should be brought against all three of the major licensing agencies by the zillions of cover bands. It's a restriction of trade in my opinion. But hey, I'm not a lawyer.

Just my thoughts :)
QFT. :mrgreen:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

LWG

Post by LWG » Fri May 14, 2010 3:46 am

Ken,

Your posts don't mention Dexter Wansel. You must have worked with him, given the time frame at Philly International.
Immensely talented keyboardist/songwriter. Among other things, his Moog pieces included a Polymoog, Mini, and Micro.

Dexter Wansel - "Life On Mars" (1976)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=086p5RAY30s

Dexter Wansel - "Theme From The Planets" (1976)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNQ8PFD1 ... re=related

Dexter Wansel - "Voyager" (1978)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvrwP2B7 ... re=related

Dexter Wansel - "First Light Of The Morning"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24qusbJx ... re=related

Regards,

-L

edmang

Post by edmang » Fri May 14, 2010 8:42 am

LWG wrote:Ken,

Your posts don't mention Dexter Wansel. You must have worked with him, given the time frame at Philly International.
Immensely talented keyboardist/songwriter. Among other things, his Moog pieces included a Polymoog, Mini, and Micro.

Dexter Wansel - "Life On Mars" (1976)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=086p5RAY30s

Dexter Wansel - "Theme From The Planets" (1976)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNQ8PFD1 ... re=related

Dexter Wansel - "Voyager" (1978)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvrwP2B7 ... re=related

Dexter Wansel - "First Light Of The Morning"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24qusbJx ... re=related

Regards,

-L
Thanks for sharing this! Good stuff... ended up going to Amazon and ordering a CD

kenfine

Post by kenfine » Fri May 14, 2010 9:36 am

Yes, I do remember Dexter Wansel. There were a lot of amazing musicians on those Philly recording sessions during the 70's.
Ken
Ken Fine
President & CEO
Blue Moon Talent, Inc.

bnkcarter

Post by bnkcarter » Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:59 am

Hi Ken,
My Name is Kate Carter. I am Marc Peterka's niece. I was just listening to a pod cast of NPR's This American Life and recognized some background music which I remember having heard on the Philadelphia Moog Ensemble Album. That prompted me to google it and here I found your posts.

You mentioned in one of your posts that you had tried to find Marc. Unfortunately, he passed away several years ago, I believe it was 2005. He suffered for several years with problems related to obesity & diabetes and died from complications of pneumonia. For many years he fought with addictions which he did finally overcome. When he died, he had been sober for 5 years and living in Southern California in Ramona, a town east of San Diego, where he was director of musical liturgy for a church. He had earned Doctor of Musical Arts degree somewhere along the way, too.

I also have a cassette recording of the album that you made back in the day. I am pretty sure that I have listened to it in the last 6 months..... & I am pretty sure that my mother (Marc's sister) has a copy of the album. OK, I had to go and get it out.....I am listening to it again! My favorite tracks on the album are the first one (don't know the name of the song, but it is the one that I just heard on NPR) and the last track which I believe is the one written by the PM Ensemble. Very nice.

I do remember the summer that Marc came back to Wahpeton, ND (our home town) with a (Mini?)MOOG and performed a concert in the catholic church with the pipe organ and the synthesizer. I got to sit on the bench with him up in the balcony and turn the pages of the music. Needless to say, I felt pretty special!
Ah, well. Memories............I am glad that I still have some music that reminds me of my Uncle Marc. He was always my favorite uncle and it is nice to see that people still think of him. His existence still lives on in some way and he would be glad to know that!

Kate Carter
Port Angeles, Washington

mburgh

Post by mburgh » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:52 pm

If anybody has a copy of the Phildelphia Moog Ensemble could you post it? I'd love to have now. Thanks.

kennyfine

Post by kennyfine » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:34 pm

Hi Folks,

I'm back under a different username. Somehow the system screwed up and kicked me out! Well, I'll try to respond to posts.
Ken Fine
Ken Fine, Ph.D.
CEO
+++++++++++++++++++
Blue Moon Talent, Inc.

-- Nashville, TN
-- Denver, CO
-- Asheville, NC

Main Office:
151 NC Highway 9, Suite B-251
Black Mountain, NC 28711

Phone: 828-357-5537