Dilemna

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
DMorrish

Dilemna

Post by DMorrish » Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:47 pm

I'm in a bit of a dilemna. My All-In-One set came in the mail today from an authorized Moog dealer, but there's a problem. Instead of the Phaser, they gave me a MuRF. Now, the MuRF seems really cool so far, but I was especially excited for the Phaser. I know the MuRF is worth more, but I'm on a tight budget and I can't really afford to just buy a Phaser on top of this. Should I bite the bullet, buy a Phaser with my CP-251 savings and wait for the control processor, or have this sorted out?

Also, I only got the wood side panels for 2 of the 3 pedals (since the pedals came already rackmounted). Is that how the All-In-One package is supposed to come? What if I want to take the pedals off the rack and use them like regular guitar pedals? Do I have to buy extra side panels, or should the dealer that sold it to me provide me with the other 2 free of charge?

Lastly, my expression pedal doesn't seem to work. When I plug it into one of the control jacks on any pedal, nothing happens when I rock it back and forth. Am I doing something wrong? If not, can I fix the pedal easily? I have some soldering experience.

The reason I don't just send it back to have everything sorted out is that it took a month for this all to arrive. I really don't want to wait any longer. I just want to rock my moogerfoogers. Decisions...

With the 30 minutes I had with them on my lunch break, they do seem pretty awesome.

Thanks for hearing me out.

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:07 pm

Personally, the MURF doesn't excite me. The phaser is pretty good and has the LFO CV out. The CP251 is great and allows for even more craziness. I would turn the MURF in (which is the right thing to do), get the phaser and the CP251.
Mark Mahoney
http://www.reverbnation.com/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney

DMorrish

Post by DMorrish » Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:36 pm

Yes, I realise I have to turn the MuRF in. I'm an honest fellow. I just hate to wait even longer for my moogerfoogers. I've waited a month.

I'm more concerned about the 2 wooden side panels I'm missing (or not missing, depending on whether or not I was supposed toget them in the All-In-One package). I'm also concerned about the expression pedal. I'll spend some more time with it after work to see if I can get it working.

I just really hope the dealer will let me send the MuRF and pedal back separately so I can still use the MF-101 and 102 in the meantime. I also hope he agrees to send out the Phaser and other things right away, instead of waiting to get the MuRF. He has my credit info, so hopefully he doesn't see it as too large of a risk.

DMorrish

Post by DMorrish » Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:13 pm

Well, I used my digital multimeter on the expression pedal, and it reads between 0 and 50 KOhms depending on the position. It seems to be working. Does anyone have an idea why I seem to get no response on the moogerfoogers? I have no other control cabling hooked up, so it's not a matter of the expression pedal power being shorted out.

OysterRock

Re: Dilemna

Post by OysterRock » Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:10 pm

DMorrish wrote:... Instead of the Phaser, they gave me a MuRF...
I think you should do the honest thing and return it. You said you would rather have the Phaser anyway.
DMorrish wrote:...I only got the wood side panels for 2 of the 3 pedals (since the pedals came already rackmounted)...
I'm not sure if that's how everyone get's their All-in-one, maybe some one else would know. That is horsesh-t if you do only get 4 wood panels, though. You should talk to your dealer.

If that is just how they come, when you return the MURF don't put any wooden panels on it. That way they might still send you the phaser with wood panels :wink:
DMorrish wrote: Lastly, my expression pedal doesn't seem to work.
The expression pedals are notoriously shoddy. Its broken, you should return it.

DMorrish

Post by DMorrish » Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:43 pm

I contacted the dealer. He seems more than happy to sort things out. He said he sent the package to me exactly how he received it from Moog. Looks like this is all just an honest mistake.

I am definitely being honest and returning the MuRF. I have enjoyed this little test ride on it though. Where I live, I have no way of testing Moog gear since there are no local dealers. Now I know I would like a MuRF someday, so I won't be scared to buy one when I have the money.

I hope I get the other two wood panels, but if not, it's not an entirely big deal. I can't see myself taking them off the rack anyway, since it works so well the way it is. It leans nicely against my amp and the metal rack hooks into the bottom lip of it perfectly.

The expression pedal is boggling my mind though. The potentiometer is perfectly functional, according to my multimeter. Perhaps the power portion of the circuit is faulty? Anyone know how I can check this?

Thanks for the replies so far.

OysterRock

Post by OysterRock » Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:01 pm

The expression pedals are not active, so there is no power. It is basically just a variable resistor than you control with your foot. You say the a multimeter is reading an ohmage across the pot, so the pot is not the problem. Maybe the cable is broken internally.

Lengai

Post by Lengai » Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:46 pm

You said the MFs came racked already? Did you get the back plates for the MFs with the shipment? I'd definitely make sure you have the plates. You should also get your side panels since you paid for them and you may not want one or more of them rack mounted in the future. You never know.

I would return the MuRF for the CP-251. The 251 gives you A LOT more when used with the MFs. You can read through the examples in the 251 manual on the Moog website to see them.

As far as the pedal, do you have any TS cables plugged into the MFs? If you do that, the pedal won't work. If not, I'd return the pedal. Man, that sucks that you have to go through all of this after waiting so long. I'm sure it will all be hammered out soon. Good luck!

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:07 pm

Patch a CV out from one of the pedals to a CV input that wasn't working with the Expression Pedal. That would tell you if the pedals' inputs and outs are working.

I find the use of a cheap pedal not to be very satisfying on the Moogers. However, I borrowed my friend's Roland EP and it worked much better. And ofcourse the CP251 is awesome.
Mark Mahoney

olen

RE: Dilemna [sic]

Post by olen » Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:07 am

The MF All-in-One Package I purchased directly from Moog Music some time ago (maybe 9 months?) came with all the components separate in full, original packaging complete with all panels--both wooden side ones and metal back ones with product "mini manual" and serial number. Pretty much what is shown on-line: <http://moogmusic.com/detail.php?main_product_id=103>. The big difference from what is pictured is you would likely now get the Moog Music logo as opposed to the silk-screened Bob Moog signature which characterized the earlier, Big Briar versions (like my original MF-104 for example :wink:). Of course, all power supplies, manuals, and mounting hardware were also included. I would question closely receiving anything less.

LWG

Re: Dilemma

Post by LWG » Sat Jul 30, 2005 4:23 pm

DMorrish,

I agree with Olen's comments, in that an all-in-one package consists of all
accompanying hardware on a per-unit basis (Unless there has been a change in policy at Moog Music). This is important, as the customer's intention may be to use the pedals separately, instead of rack-mount them.
Is it possible that the rack sold to you was assembed as a demo unit, and later sold as stock config/new? If the package (per Moog Music's policy) is supposed to be shipped as separate, items, each with full hardware, you may wish to more closely question the retailer from whom you made the purchase.
You also need to find out if (according to your retailer's claims) Moog Music actually shipped the item to them in this config. Based on the info Olen posted, this may not be the case. Contact them directly.

Best Of Luck,

LWG

DMorrish

Post by DMorrish » Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:30 pm

Thanks for all the replies.

Here is what I got: 3 moogerfoogers pre rackmounted (MuRF soon to be exchanged for Phaser as it should be), side panels for 2 of the pedals (since that is all that is needed when rackmounted), metal backplates for all 3 pedals, manuals for all three pedals but not boxes for the pedals (that's OK though, I think the person who sold them to me just didn't send them to save me money on shipping, since it was sent from the U.S. to Canada), and 3 power sources (one is the MuRF power source with the higher amperage).

So all it seems I am missing is the 2 wood side panels and some boxes. I'm not worried about boxes though.

I tested the moogerfoogers with the LFO out from the ring mod with a TRS cable. They are responding properly to control voltages. I tested the cable on the foot switch and it is working. The pot reads a proper resistance range. The only thing left that could be wrong is that the wires aren't soldered to the proper contacts on the pot. Could someone with a working EP tell me how it is supposed to be wired? If this is the problem, I can fix it myself.

Once again, thanks for all the input.

DMorrish

Post by DMorrish » Sun Jul 31, 2005 6:09 pm

I went back to the expression pedal with my multimeter and noticed some strange behaviour. When I checked it before, I was only looking for discontinuities in the circuit. This time I looked more closely and found that the cable was shorting out. I opened the TRS jack by unscrewing the plastic cover, and sure enough, it was shorted out. The pedal works great now.

That makes one less thing to have sorted out with the dealer.

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Sun Jul 31, 2005 7:00 pm

Good to hear. Have fun with it.
Mark Mahoney