Voltage Controlled Devices

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
jackpot

Voltage Controlled Devices

Post by jackpot » Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:13 pm

I am not exactly sure how this works so feel free to make fun of me.
I am a guitar player and use quite a few different effects. I recently got turned on to the moogerfoogers and bought a Ring-Mod. I read that these can control other voltage controlled effects. I also have an Ibanez AF-9 (Saving up for The MF-101). This pedal is voltage controlled. How do I hook these up to control the af-9 with the mf-102. Is it just the audio out. I just don't want to burn anything up. Also what exactly will this do. Any help would be nice.
thanks

Lengai

Post by Lengai » Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:03 pm

jackpot,

I'm not familiar with the AF-9, but yes you can use the MF-102 to control another voltage controlled effect. Here's an excerpt from the MF-102 manual (pg. 11):
In addition to the four expression pedal inputs, your MF-102 has an LFO output jack, a
CARRIER OUT jack, and a CARRIER IN jack. The LFO and CARRIER OUT jacks may be
used as control or audio signal sources to control other voltage-controlled devices,
including other moogerfooger analog effects modules. The amplitude of the LFO
output signal is independent of the setting of the AMOUNT control or pedal. The
CARRIER IN jack enables you to feed any audio or control signal to the second input of
the ring modulator circuit. When you plug a regular phone plug into the CARRIER IN
jack, the MF-102’s carrier oscillator is disconnected from the ring modulator, and the
signal from the phone plug goes in its place. You can use this feature to ring-modulate
two outputs of your sound module to produce a new, ring-modulated timbre.
The simplest way is to use a TS to TS patch cable from the Mf-102 to a CV input on the AF-9. I'd check to see what voltage they both run at just to make sure they're compatible, but I'm sure they're fine.

So you can route audio or CV or both depending on what you want to do.
Gear List: Voyager AE with VX-351, CP-251, MF-101 through MF-105; TR-808, TR-606 and SH-32; Matrix 6R; Prophet 600; Triton, ER-1, ES-1, EA-1, and Wavestation A/D; Virus Rack; TurboPhatt; DM-Pro; PolyEvolver; Micro Q; Nord Lead

Impossible Sound

Post by Impossible Sound » Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:08 pm

Don't be afraid to ask questions - that's what this forum is for!

The Ibanez AF-9 probably isn't voltage controlled. It's only got the input and output jacks, right? It would have to have additional control jacks, like on the Ring Mod.

For example, see those inputs labelled "Rate, Amount, Mix, Freq.?" Applying a voltage to those jacks has the same effect as if turning the corresponding knobs on the front. That voltage could be supplied from a volume-type pedal, or even better, a voltage output from another MoogerFooger. The CP-251 can also be used for generating and processing these control voltages.

I hope that helps out.

Mike FUn

p.s., nothing will burn unless you go Hendrix on it with a match and some lighter fluid.