Electric guitar through Little Phatty anyone?

Everything Phatty.
Edoardo_P

Electric guitar through Little Phatty anyone?

Post by Edoardo_P » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:26 am

Hello,

I would like to know whether it is possible to use the Little Phatty and/or the Slim Phatty as a very big guitar effect (Like if it was a giant moogerfooger, let's say) as I've seen bassists doing that on youtube, and I would like to know at which part of the chain I should put it: before/after the compressor? after/before the equalizer?
May I connect it to the amplifier through the amp's effects loop "send/return" as well?
Can I put an overdriven signal into the Phatty?

Thank you very much

stiiiiiiive

Re: Electric guitar through Little Phatty anyone?

Post by stiiiiiiive » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:52 am

Hola Edoardo!

Sure you can plug your guitar into the Phatty.
Regarding the FX chain, I would recommend focusing on having the cleanest signal possible injected into the synth, and any other aestethic FX after. When I say "clean" I don't mean "vs. overdriven". You can also send an overdriven guitar into it.
I recommend you use some preamping between the guitar and the synth. Although I never tried with the Phatty, I've been using Tech21 TriAC and VT Bass for years now and they're awesome… and analogue ;)

Post some soudn ,ha!

Edoardo_P

Post by Edoardo_P » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:30 am

stiiiiiiive wrote:Hola Edoardo!

Sure you can plug your guitar into the Phatty.
Regarding the FX chain, I would recommend focusing on having the cleanest signal possible injected into the synth, and any other aestethic FX after. When I say "clean" I don't mean "vs. overdriven". You can also send an overdriven guitar into it.
I recommend you use some preamping between the guitar and the synth. Although I never tried with the Phatty, I've been using Tech21 TriAC and VT Bass for years now and they're awesome… and analogue ;)
Yes, I already own a (linear) instrument preamp, it's the Lehle Sunday Driver, which is either an impedance and gain booster.

So you suggest:
guitar ---> linear booster ---> Phatty ---> Amplifier(s)

instead of
guitar ---> Amp ---> Phatty (looped)

Am I correct?

stiiiiiiive wrote:Post some soudn ,ha!
I don't own it yet, I am looking for something to give my guitar a Moog sound.

I'm torn between a couple of Moogerfoogers (VCO+LFO) or a synth pedal of another brand...

If you could help here as well :)
http://forum.moogmusic.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16083

Thanks for your time

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:19 am

I haven't used my phatty as a filter box in a while, but it is quite fun.
Turn both OSC down all the way to hear just the guitar or other external sound. Try turning cutoff keytrack up and using the latched ARP to modulate the filter cutoff, play with the envs, glide on/off for smooth/stepped mod.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:50 pm

I was more thinking about this:

Guitar -> Amp sim -> Little Phatty -> PA/Headphones

Using a guitar amp after the Phatty will alter the Moog sound you seem to be after.

mattysphatty

Post by mattysphatty » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:06 pm

Please excuse my newbie ignorance here. I am a new slim phatty owner, a longtime guitar player, and lover of 70s era synth-everything from Stevie Wonder to the Who.

Are you all just plugging your guitar into the audio in of the phatty? Would plugging Guitar---Mixer-----Phatty work better to control the sound?

Thanks all!

Set

Post by Set » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:03 am

Hi matty,

From the SP manual (Appendix J - specifications) you can read Audio In accepts +4dBu line level signal.

Straight out from the Guitar you'll have an "instrument level signal" that might be too weak to drive SP's Audio In with appreciable results. That's why amp sim, a preamp section were suggested. A mixer with on-board preamp is perfectly valid too. Have to try it (didn't took the time to) but i'm pretty sure it'll works just better with a line level signal.

synthaxe

Post by synthaxe » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:28 pm

Edoardo_P wrote:Hello,

I would like to know whether it is possible to use the Little Phatty and/or the Slim Phatty as a very big guitar effect (Like if it was a giant moogerfooger, let's say) as I've seen bassists doing that on youtube, and I would like to know at which part of the chain I should put it: before/after the compressor? after/before the equalizer?
May I connect it to the amplifier through the amp's effects loop "send/return" as well?
Can I put an overdriven signal into the Phatty?

Thank you very much
I go effects loop send of my guitar amp into the input of the Little Phatty and combine guitar playing with the synth. This provides enough signal to the LP, although the gate must be open or key pressed to hear the guitar when doing it this way. If you're using a compressor with your guitar rig, it should be up front (not in the effects loop.) I have not tried taking my LP's output back into the effects loop's return of my guitar amp, although I'm sure this would work just fine. Essentialy, you would get a bunch of moogerfooger-like effects going on, including the filter and envelopes (plus any modulation you may be sending to the filter.) You could get a lot going with it. Plus, when playing guitar I prefer most all of my moogerfooger's in the effects loop anyhow, including my MF-101 Lowpass Flter as I find it to provide a much better "synthy" tone and punch.

To answer your last question, I would highly recommend using overdrive with your guitar into the phatty. The filter of the LP really catches on to the guitar signal when it (the guitar signal) has some grit/overdrive on it.
Little Phatty Stage II, Minitaur, MF-105, MF-103, MF-102, MF-101, Mesa/Boogie Mark IV, EVH 5150III 50 Watt, EVM12L Speakers, ESP Eclipse-II FR, USA Charvel So-Cal, Squier Vintage Modified Surf Stratocaster, Alesis MidiVerb 4, and tons of Electro Harmonix.

mattysphatty

Post by mattysphatty » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:06 pm

Set wrote:Hi matty,

From the SP manual (Appendix J - specifications) you can read Audio In accepts +4dBu line level signal.

Straight out from the Guitar you'll have an "instrument level signal" that might be too weak to drive SP's Audio In with appreciable results. That's why amp sim, a preamp section were suggested. A mixer with on-board preamp is perfectly valid too. Have to try it (didn't took the time to) but i'm pretty sure it'll works just better with a line level signal.
Thanks Set-I bought my Phatty used, so I dont have the manual,although I did breeze through it online. I tried this out the other day-it sounded cool! Thanks !

aen

Post by aen » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:44 pm

I was pretty excited when I found out I could do this.
http://youtu.be/SlHaA_MjIJM

Moogul

Post by Moogul » Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:34 am

I would like to run an electric guitar into my Sub 37 without an amp. Would an active DI like the Sansamp Para Driver DI be a good option?

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:56 am

I should, yes. I used to use a SansAmp TriAC.