Minitaur: drawing filter curves in Logic

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
Richard J

Minitaur: drawing filter curves in Logic

Post by Richard J » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:38 am

As a test, I recorded a filter sweep manually, then replaced my hand moves with a much smoother line with just 3 nodes for min, max, and back down to min again.

Surprisingly - at least in Logic - the drawn filter sweep sounded very stepped, ie the filter wasn't smoothly gliding but moving from one position to the next in a series of distinct steps.

Is this normal / expected?

If so, how can can I draw in smooth filter settings in Logic? I'm assuming it has to do with MIDI resolution,

Richard J

EMwhite

Re: Minitaur: drawing filter curves in Logic

Post by EMwhite » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:37 am

See my other post about 'hardware' alternatives. I'm a Logic user (I run an older version; 8) and couldn't get it to work.

But if you have 9, check this out: http://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/viewt ... =5&t=81147 . It should help you.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

Richard J

Post by Richard J » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:03 pm

Thanks for the link for Logic 9 - will check it out.

Richard.

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:52 pm

Richard J wrote: Surprisingly - at least in Logic - the drawn filter sweep sounded very stepped, ie the filter wasn't smoothly gliding but moving from one position to the next in a series of distinct steps.

Is this normal / expected?
I wouldn't be surprised, in fact I don't think there's a way to avoid the stepped sound.

Why don't you change the envelope parameters instead? In that way, you can change the speed of the filter sweep from your sequencer, and the sweeps will be smooth like butter :wink:
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra