The MurF and the patchbay

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
OLFAudio

The MurF and the patchbay

Post by OLFAudio » Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:50 am

So I bought the rack mount kit ans a patchbay for my moogerfoogers. Cp251 on the top, Neutrik PB in the middle and my three moogerfoogers on the bottom. From left to right LPF, MurF, Phaser. Basically I ran all of the 1/4" jacks to a patch on the back of the patchbayso I could easily do my CV patching. The patchbay is balanced and all points check out. The cables are balanced as well. The problem occurs with the patches on my Murf. Envelope, Mix and Rate. With a balanced cable plugged into these jacks the sound doesn't change until after i turn the knob past 5. I.E. turning the rate knob to 10 only gives me a rate that i usually get at 5. The other Moogerfoogers are fine.

Is this normal? Would unbalanced cables work? Or are my dreams of easy patching all for not? Or, and quite possibly, did I have one too many tall boys during wiring.

Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

OLFAudio

Post by OLFAudio » Sat Apr 02, 2005 3:27 am

So an update. Unbalanced doesn't change a thing.

Can anyone help me on this?

Maybe the solution is to not rack the MurF, buy the Ring Mod and set it up that way. Oh wait, I'm supposed to be saving for a Fantastic Voyage(r)

Michael Glaviano

Re: The MurF and the patchbay

Post by Michael Glaviano » Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:41 am

I really hope that someone responds because I would like to do exactly the same thing. I have both a balanced and an unbalanced patch bay and was thinking of trying both of them.

Regards,
aka Amigo van Helical
Northern Colorado

OLFAudio

Post by OLFAudio » Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:33 pm

I don't think it is a patchbay issue so much as it is one of leaving a lead plugged into these jacks permanently (which happen to be going to a patchbay in this instance).

OLFAudio

Post by OLFAudio » Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:14 am

Michael-
I ended up talking with a guy from moog about the issue and hear is the skinny as best as I can explain it. The three CV inputs on the MurF at issue (Env, Mix Rate) don't just add CV when a pedal is plugged in the way other MFs work. They look where your knob is set and take that as the middle point for modulation. So, if you plug a cv pedal into your MurF you need to put the pedal in the middle position to have the same sound. Moving the pedal back is equal turning the knob left. Pedal forward, knob right.

This is unlike the other MF pedals which take your knob position as the 0 point. I.E. Pedal all the way back is the same as knob position.

So, in short (or long), you can set your MurF up via a patchbay put the parameters will not work in the normal way they usually do. However, if you plug a cv pedal or other Cv source into them they work as you would expect.

For my setup, I did not route those three inputs to the patchbay.

As an aside, I also setup all the CV inputs of my voyager to be available at the same patchbay to get the whole modular thang going. In this setup, using trs cables, I had to 'half patch' the mod 1 & 2 and the sample & hold inputs.

If you would like, I'll post some pics so you can get an idea of how it all worked out.

Next experiment, Zvex Fuzz Probe in the mixer out-filter in loop. More real time control with the 'theremin' feature of this wacky pedal

brain_11

Patch bay

Post by brain_11 » Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:16 pm

I am about to get a patch bay for hooking up 3 Moogerfoogers and 2 Voyagers. Can you post a pict of your setup? thanks

OLFAudio

Post by OLFAudio » Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:43 am

I'm stuck in tne studio right now but will get you photos on saturday. what moogerfoogers do you have

brain_11

Post by brain_11 » Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:08 am

I have a 101, 103 and 104. Thanks in advance. Planning to get a 102 and a 105 in the future.

OLFAudio

Post by OLFAudio » Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:01 pm

Here are some pictures of the setup. Still under construction. One more rack in the center and then all the patch points will be directly under the 251/351 rack. Once I get it all done I'll update the photos.

I also haven't set up the lower two MF's in a patchbay yet.

So much work to do. . .

http://homepage.mac.com/christrice/PhotoAlbum15.html

OysterRock

Post by OysterRock » Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:22 pm

Nice setup! Very similar to mine (rhodes, voyager, moogers...), but yours is nicer...scary cat though.

I would love to hear some of your music.
Last edited by OysterRock on Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brain_11

Post by brain_11 » Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:25 pm

Thanks, nice seup. Looks like a cat is essential component of a system:-
)) Are you going to connect all of the inputs of 251/351 to the patch bay as well?

OLFAudio

Post by OLFAudio » Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:31 pm

Well my co-pilot, better known as Zoe the cat, is a highly debated conponent of my setup. She was actually the least expensive part of my rig and offers the most inspiration. Luckly, my wife is a little a little OCD and so the cat hair is vacuumed away most immediately.

Regarding the 251 and 351 to the patchbay. Within a few weeks I will finish the last of my racks and then the entire patchbay will live directly below the 251/351 so patching will be easy. My third rack will include a 104z, 104SD, 102 and a Q119 sequencer.

Need to find a rack solution for my Schumann PLL. Everybody needs a "Romper Room" box and this one is the one for me.

I'm debating a dbx 120xp for the set up as well. really a great box.

Not sure if the pictures show but the aux out of the phaser is not patched, nor is the mix, rate, envelope or aux out of the Murf. Also the volume on the voyager isn't patched. These are not patched because they change normal function.

Lengai

Post by Lengai » Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:43 am

ezratrice,

I don't know if you are doing gigs with your setup, but I've had to use a MAP 1U rack shelf reverse mounted so it sticks out for a couple of pieces of equipment. The shelf has pre-drilled holes for mounting so maybe that will work.

OLFAudio

Post by OLFAudio » Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:10 am

Lengal-

Thanks for the idea.

i'm gonna hold off on a solution for that until the rest of my rig is built. Hard to visualize much beyond that.

hey, did you ever find a way to solve your mult needs? I ran out of mults last night. Thee olde spidey sense is telling me I'm gonna need more

Lengai

Post by Lengai » Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:22 pm

ezratrice,

I wound up ordering another Behringer PX-2000 because I use the other one for the MFs. I still would like to have another LFO, but the one on the Ring Mod works for now. I wish Moog would release a simple LFO and mult box or re-release the port-a-pot and move-a-mults, but like you said, waiting around won't help. Good luck with your rig and thanks for putting that Schumann PLL on my radar.