new slim phatty with Bass guitar?

Everything Phatty.
[email protected]

new slim phatty with Bass guitar?

Post by [email protected] » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:23 pm

Hey y'all,

just found out about the new slim phatty, and was wondering if anyone has a clue how/can it work with Bass guitar?

thanks in advance!

Jaguarfooger

Re: new slim phatty with Bass guitar?

Post by Jaguarfooger » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:34 am

To confirm this, it would probably be a good idea to look closley through the Slim Phatty manual. But from the surface of it, it dosen't look like this instrument could be played directly from a standard guitar or bass....

more precisley, what I mean to say is that a standard guitar or bass could not be used as a controler for this instrument without first going though other gear to convert the instruments' pitch to a MIDI signal.

The Slim Phatty doesn't appear to have an input for pitch that produces a corresponding CV signal.

Of course, it does appear to have the ability to process external signals--this means that you could process your bass's signal through the Slim Phatty's filter....This is also possible with the Lil' Phatty.

goldphinga

Post by goldphinga » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:03 am

midi pickup on your bass, midi out from this to midi in on the SP..
Moog Gear: Voyager AE,LP Stage 2+CV outs (Blue LED's/Wheels, MF104SD, MF101 Filter, MF103 Phaser, Source, Memorymoog+, Minitaur.

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:14 pm

[email protected] wrote:Hey y'all,

just found out about the new slim phatty, and was wondering if anyone has a clue how/can it work with Bass guitar?

thanks in advance!
One of the frequent posters here put together a brief tutorial that discusses how to use string instruments with a Moog synth (just have to find it!).

In essence, there is no envelope follower or line level tunable trigger so your only option is to pipe your guitar signal through the Audio input, to be affected by Filter and LFO (control of filter).

If you have a FreqBox or a LowPass filter Moogerfooger, you can leverage the env follower circuit to open/allow close of the filter. Otherwise, certainly there are boxes that will let you convert a guitar to Midi (usually a 6 string guitar), but out of the box, there is not much that you'll be able to do except process the audio signal.

Certainly there is a fair amount to mess with but it's best managed with the help of an Envelope follower (Synth.com makes a module that allows for this and a gate that can be triggered).

If you've got a spring bound expression pedal or are used to playing a Wah pedal, you can certainly get by with a simple EP-2 expression pedal connected to CV-in of the Filter on the Phatty, but it's alot of work.

I'll see about piecing together something for YouTube that demonstrates this (I'm a bass player too!)
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

goldphinga

Post by goldphinga » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:21 am

This is getting way too complex!!!

Midi pick up is the answer! :roll:
Moog Gear: Voyager AE,LP Stage 2+CV outs (Blue LED's/Wheels, MF104SD, MF101 Filter, MF103 Phaser, Source, Memorymoog+, Minitaur.

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:10 pm

Found the thread I spoke of above: http://www.moogmusic.com/forum/viewtopi ... 66&start=0

It was written by Portamental, a frequent poster here.

(btw: if you have passive pickups, you might want to provide a bit of gain) Enjoy!
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

wescook56

Post by wescook56 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:21 pm

I play bass and statrted cooking up a plan to sell my micomoog as soon as i found out about the sp. If I get it, I intend on playing it with midi foot pedals...
Micromoog, CP-251, Prophet 600, Fantom X6

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:13 pm

Thanks for the help everyone!
EMwhite - I'll check that post bro.
I do have a MF-101 but am interested in more than just the filter as you can probably imagine.... thanks!
update if there are some news about it, and post the video when ready!

sutherlandge

Post by sutherlandge » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:22 am

Hey all,

I have a related question, which is that I have a voyager, and I'm a bassist. I want to use my bass as a MIDI controller, but everything I've heard about bass MIDI says that there is a terrible lag on the E and B strings. I assume this is, because of the immense MIDI data, and may have more to do with the computer than the pickup. Can anyone confirm or deny this, and if so, is there a brand that's tried test and true for use with Moog synths? Are there alternatives? Someone mentioned using a foot pedal midi controller. Is that instead of a pickup?

johnjay

Post by johnjay » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:20 pm

A sonuus b2m may or may not work for you.

Here's a look:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMzrcFRusgM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Y88uC8baiw

It's an easy and cheap way to get midi from an instrument. I have a G2M, it's not perfect but I like it a lot.

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:29 pm

sutherlandge wrote:Hey all,

I have a related question, which is that I have a voyager, and I'm a bassist. I want to use my bass as a MIDI controller, but everything I've heard about bass MIDI says that there is a terrible lag on the E and B strings. I assume this is, because of the immense MIDI data, and may have more to do with the computer than the pickup. Can anyone confirm or deny this, and if so, is there a brand that's tried test and true for use with Moog synths? Are there alternatives? Someone mentioned using a foot pedal midi controller. Is that instead of a pickup?
I don't have any direct experience but I understand that on a standard stringing (EADG), that lower frequencies are more difficult to 'track' for these devices. Has to do (I think) with the amplitude which is more easily discernible as strings are held closer to the bridge.

If you watch the various videos that are posted to YouTube and elsewhere, folks tend to play more 'lead' type tones and melodies or solos in any case. If you find something that works well, let us know.

I was getting ready to pick up one of the B2M units but heard horror shows. "looks good on TV" as they say and for $99, there isn't much in the way of risk.

johnjay

Post by johnjay » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:36 pm

I don't have any direct experience but I understand that on a standard stringing (EADG), that lower frequencies are more difficult to 'track' for these devices. Has to do (I think) with the amplitude which is more easily discernible as strings are held closer to the bridge.
The problem with the lower frequencies is the frequency of the fundamental. By the time you figure out what the frequency is the latency is pretty long. For example the low E of a bass guitar is 41.2 cycles/sec. So one cycle takes roughly 24 msecs. Sonuus claims the midi latency is 32 msecs for that note. That seems pretty good considering what it's trying to do but it's still a fair amount of latency so most likey you'll want to play up the neck where the latency is much less.
I was getting ready to pick up one of the B2M units but heard horror shows. "looks good on TV"
Someone should do a video showing why they don't like the Sonuus.

I think you have to accept that Sonuus connected to your guitar is a new instrument. This new instrument is not going to play like the guitar does without the Sonuus. It's going to be slower and you have to play more cleanly. Also the lower notes may or may not be useful for you. If you can live with these limitations then you may like Sonuus.

I have the G2M and I find it helpful to damp the guitar strings to minimize faulty triggering. I put a thick rubber band under the strings at the nut. There's still plenty of sustain for the Sonuus. With Sonuus I'm limited in what I can play but not as limited as I am without it. It can be annoying though and it's not for everyone.

John

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:57 pm

Interesting. So it's a matter of the wave and latency, not necessarily how clean the particular note is played? Based on what I heard/saw/read, I I thought that it had to do with the attack on notes (or absence of it) and thought maybe a compressor might help.

Thanks for explaining the science (physics?) behind it. I think I am going to take the plunge shortly. As you said, play a cello (or maybe a bagpipe (!)) and you wouldn't necessarily do so using an Eddie VH lick.

...but I agree, I'd like to see somebody play it and show it's faults; but in a constructive way. It's easy to make any product look bad if you are not being fair.

avj

Post by avj » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:59 am

As a G2M owner, I concur with everything johnjay has said. He's right on about the frequency being the determining factor of the latency, as frequency is a function of time and any pitch-to-MIDI unit is only going to be able to process a given pitch so fast. There's an inverse relationship between frequency and wavelength -- so as the fundamental pitch decreases, the wavelength increases. This means there will be fewer wave peaks passing a given point in time, thus slowing the ability to detect the note.

Here's a video of a simple latency test with the Sonuus G2M (not mine):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1kW617Kb_I

It's also worth noting that a suitable MIDI guitar solution is not as easy as slapping one of those Roland GK pickups on your guitar, as those are merely hexaphonic pickups, despite being regularly referred to as "MIDI pickups".

johnjay

Post by johnjay » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:07 am

EMwhite wrote:Interesting. So it's a matter of the wave and latency, not necessarily how clean the particular note is played? Based on what I heard/saw/read, I I thought that it had to do with the attack on notes (or absence of it) and thought maybe a compressor might help.
The frequency of the note determines the latency but you have to play clean or you'll trigger the wrong notes. If you play more than one note at a time you get bad sounds. Certain fretting techniques that sound fine with the guitar pickup can trigger wrong notes. If you fret hard, almost like a hammer on but not that loud you can trigger a wrong note. If you're guitar has any fret buzz you'll trigger wrong notes. But even with all that, there's still a lot of room for expression. Hammer ons and pulls-offs can work. Bending notes work too.