Moog to release modules this year

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
MC

Re: Moog to release modules this year

Post by MC » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:07 pm

MacAquinas wrote:Broadly unobtainable boutique sythesizers made to order for the mansions of the elites. This is a distraction and diversion for the nostalgic and the wealthy but a poor business decision and a slap in the face to all of the regular Joe's that keep Moog in business. Just drop the Moog name and become Mitt Romney Electronics. Wine and Cheese launch party RSVP.
Who lit the fuse on your tampon? :lol:
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:45 pm

"Richest 1% of the world's population will own more than the other 99% put together by next year, Oxfam warns."

I guess only 1% of the world's population will be able to afford those new modular systems also. They can have them all.

I'll surely get a MOS-LAB system instead for three times less.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

ualslosar

Post by ualslosar » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:24 pm

Would the 962 keyboard work with Model 15 ?
Would a Model 15 also come with an accessory port (for a ribbon controller) ?
Is there a mixer in a Model 15 ? (the description talks about a CP15, but I thought I CP15 were attenuators)

Any info is appreciated

Thank you
Larry

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:27 pm

The Moog CP15 is a four input mixer, as well as a four way multiple.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

EricK

Post by EricK » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:52 am

You can bet that these are New Old Stock clones of the 1974 era modulars, with the exception that the cabinetry is all walnut and the keyboard won't be a Pratt-Read.

So the answers to your questions can most likely be found in the service manual or modular owners guides.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:25 pm

This will put all those 'vintage' systems out to pasture...

Stephen

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:50 pm

I was lucky enough to have two days to play with the new System 55.
(The System 55 audio demos that start with DF are mine.)

It was like a 35-year college reunion as that was the modular synth I studied at Northern Illinois University back in 1980.

So I can try to answer any questions.
(It's been really hard to not say anything about them these past few months!)
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

MoogProg

Post by MoogProg » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:45 pm

_DemonDan_ wrote:It was like a 35-year college reunion as that was the modular synth I studied at Northern Illinois University back in 1980.
Get it. Nostalgia is all over this release. Reminds me of the Clapton amps, and re-issue guitars (see post above blah blah).
_DemonDan_ wrote:So I can try to answer any questions.
Beyond the nostalgia, can you tell us about the "magic"? What is it about these—for someone who didn't go to that college, never-had/never-will have access to a system of this size and construction—that sounds different or brings out a different experience in the player? Please feel free to wax poetically about this!

Wife and I just watched the Ciani video and had a discussion about the need for the right sound system, and even the right room—one large enough to hold the full wavelength of our low-end hearing, as we would properly pair a quality grand piano with its room. This is not something ideal for the typical "man cave". Thoughts, anyone?

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:21 pm

MoogProg wrote:Beyond the nostalgia, can you tell us about the "magic"?
The first thing I went for was the 914 Fixed Filter Bank. I've never used anything else like it.

It's got 14 knobs, 12 Bandpass, a Hi Pass and a Low Pass.

With all of the knobs down, anything that passes through it is silent until you start turning up knobs. It's kind of like a knob-based graphic EQ that goes from silence to unity (instead of -12dB to +12dB).

One of my favorite ambience tricks at NIU was to send White Noise into it and then manually bring various frequency bands up and down. The result is a lonely deep space sound that I've never been able to match using any other gear.

Honestly, if I could only have one module from any of the three Systems, it would be the 914.

It's also great for making any sequenced oscillators sound very different from other oscillators used to play against the sequence.

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:37 pm

Another thing that makes the three Systems "magic" is the size of the modules, the space between the knobs, and text that I can actually read without reading glasses.

It's such a physical thing... One of the nights, after midnight, Trent and I were simultaneously patching the System 55 to be a self-playing drum machine and bass line, with a playable lead. It was one of those unforgettable moments of my life. We both knew what we were doing and what we were going for. Each of the parts were evolving as our four arms were patching and tweaking like a well-oiled machine.

The day after I left Moog I found myself wanting nothing but to be in front of that beast again.

Another thing is the "fatness". I know we all talk about it when describing all Moog gear, but this was ridiculous. And having seven Oscillators to play with was kid-in-a-candy-shop fun. All of them went as low as occasional clicks to higher than I could hear. Modulating one against another created these gossamer webs of beauty. No matter where you moved the Frequencies and Depths, there was always something you could find by moving the knobs as slowly as you could.

And there's this feeling of "I'll never make this exact sound again" followed by the rush of just yanking all the patch cords out and starting over. There was always something new to try. And, as long as you didn't run out of patch cords, you could keep making the patch sound more interesting.

Vince Ascoli

Post by Vince Ascoli » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:18 pm

Loving reading about your experiences with the System 55, Dan - thanks! :D
I assume the 'Trent' you're referring to, is the former Senator from Mississippi? :wink:
Voyager Select Maple Jade, Voyager Aluminum, Xpander, OB-8, Prophet~6, Virus Ti Pølar, DX5

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:43 pm

Vince Ascoli wrote: I assume the 'Trent' you're referring to, is the former Senator from Mississippi? :wink:
Well, it wasn't Reznor.

RayA

Post by RayA » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:12 am

I am a relatively new advocate of Eurorack and timed this nicely with Moog entering the market shortly afterwards so I can now have some Proper Moog filters amongst my ever expanding Eurorack Behemoth.
I would like to see Eurorack versions of the Mini foogers as I love what they do but pedal format units do make a very chaotic setup, plus extra cabling/adaptors/patchbays/mixed format multiples.
Having a modular version of any or all would satisfy my addiction to modules and my near Teutonic sense of order. I like chaotic sounds not setups!

chaolem17

Post by chaolem17 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:20 am

That's cool man. If the shoe doesn't fit, no sense in trying to force it on your own foot.