MiniBrute Pitch Out to Sub Phatty Pitch In

Everything Sub.
mico

Re: MiniBrute Pitch Out to Sub Phatty Pitch In

Post by mico » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:27 pm

Benjamin AM wrote:I don't own either of these synths but this seems to be an easy fix. As far as the two synths not following one another, this is why there is a master tuning knob. If using the Minibrute as a controiler I would suggest using a MIDI connection for communication. Never have played with one, I quickly looked over the manual and noticed this:
"The keyboard’s GATE signal is also available on the Gate Out". This indicates to me that the sequences may not be transmitted via CV, because they do not originate from the press of a key. I would be very suprised if this option was left out of the MIDI transmition. Just remember that these two compact synths have internal options that may also need to be adjusted. For instance, make sure legato is be transmitted. Make sure MIDI clock is being received/ transmited while using MIDI. Also, try usung the Phatty as a controller. Hope this helps. Breathe.
See, the thing is that the MiniBrute is far from being full functional in the MIDI department. It does not send any arpeggiated sequence via MIDI whatsoever. The only slight hint of CV arp transmission would be the the clicking I hear that adheres to any Swing parameter adjustment I make in the Arp section.

I have both the Gate and Pitch Out plugged into the KB Gate and Pitch In of the Sub Phatty.

The situation isn't so much about tracking. The Sub Phatty does not change its note regardless of what note is played on the MiniBrute. I guess you could say it is a tracking issue, but it is not like any I have had ever. I have a really hard time believing the voltage difference would result in what I'm experiencing.

I really want this to work. I don't want to have to buy a bloody soft-synth for the sole purpose of pushing arpeggiations to my Sub Phatty.
Moog Sub 37 (#0133), Ibanez M80M, & Doomy Bow
MF-102 • MF-103 • MF-105m • KE Kommander • MHI B:a (Germ. w/EQ mod) • Strymon Timeline
Previous: Model D, Taurus, Taurus III, Little Phatty SE II (Solar Edition w/CV Out mod), Sub Phatty

dswo

Post by dswo » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:28 pm

mico wrote:I don't want to have to buy a bloody soft-synth for the sole purpose of pushing arpeggiations to my Sub Phatty.
I notice that you list Animoog and Filtatron in your signature. If you have an iPad, take a look at StepPolyArp and Arpeggionome Pro. The latter is on sale through tomorrow, but if I had to choose one it would be StepPolyArp. My Sub Phatty hasn't arrived yet, but when I had a Slim Phatty I used it to make this: https://soundcloud.com/dswo/pulling-away-v2.
David Wilson-Okamura

calyx93

Post by calyx93 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:15 am

Had a similar situation when using the FreqBox as a second oscillator for my Minibrute (have a LP too, but haven't cv'ed them together yet) and having a CP-251 helped immensely. I was able to scale the FB vco way up and down over several octaves. Not sure if this'll help - but:

http://forum.moogmusic.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=18062
“I have stretched ropes from steeple to steeple; garlands from window to window; golden chains from star to star, and I dance.” - Rimbaud

mico

Post by mico » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:18 am

dswo wrote:
mico wrote:I don't want to have to buy a bloody soft-synth for the sole purpose of pushing arpeggiations to my Sub Phatty.
I notice that you list Animoog and Filtatron in your signature. If you have an iPad, take a look at StepPolyArp and Arpeggionome Pro. The latter is on sale through tomorrow, but if I had to choose one it would be StepPolyArp. My Sub Phatty hasn't arrived yet, but when I had a Slim Phatty I used it to make this: https://soundcloud.com/dswo/pulling-away-v2.
I actually went the route of purchasing StepPolyArp. It seems like it will do the trick. I do have one question though.

Would using the Sub Phatty's keyboard to send MIDI Out to the StepPolyArp and then using StepPolyArp to send MIDI In result in a MIDI feedback loop? I read in the SPA app that you can use a keyboard MIDI controller to send the arpeggio notes to and then have SPA send it to the choice destination, but I'm not exactly familiar with MIDI.

As of right now, I can send arps from SPA no problem although I have to readjust the mod wheel when changing keys via the app. This is mildly counterintuitive considering I don't have stand for my iPad. While annoying, I can deal with that issue. Hence why I'm asking if using the Sub Phatty to send MIDI Out woud work because I would at least be right there to readjust the wheel when changing the arp I send.

In the span it took me to write this, I realized that I could just try it myself. Nonetheless, your experiences would be duly appreciated.
MF-102 • MF-103 • MF-105m • KE Kommander • MHI B:a (Germ. w/EQ mod) • Strymon Timeline
Previous: Model D, Taurus, Taurus III, Little Phatty SE II (Solar Edition w/CV Out mod), Sub Phatty

Vitja

Post by Vitja » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:51 am

Try using stereo cable, with channels 1 and 2 connected together and disconnect the ground.
This is only way that works for me with RingMod. Maybe it will work with sub!
Gear:Slim Phatty, Arturia Minibrute, Casio MT-600, MF-101,MF-102,MF104Z,MP-201,CP-251,Ibanez John Scofield, PRS custom 24, circuit bent Kawai R-100,Circuit Bent Roland TR-505, Boss Dr55, Akai MPK 25, Ensoniq DP/4, RME Fireface 800, tons of guitar effects.

dswo

Post by dswo » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:39 am

My Sub Phatty hasn't arrived yet, but here's what I would try for StepPolyArp (SPA):

1. In the app, set MIDI IN to the Sub Phatty and also MIDI OUT to the Sub Phatty.

2. On the Sub Phatty itself, turn MIDI Local Control off (p. 34 in the Sub Phatty manual). When you do this, the Phatty will send notes to SPA, but only play the notes that SPA sends back.

3. If you get stuck in a loop, check that MIDI Merge is off (pp. 33-34 in the Sub Phatty manual).

I'm sure others will have the same question, so I'm going to start a new thread.
David Wilson-Okamura

misterpete

Post by misterpete » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:47 pm

FYI the Slim Phatty arp works grrrrreat and sends MIDI out, too! ~
However, the MicroKorg I owned (grey one?) and resold did NOT send arp info via MIDI :lol:

ALSO — for those on iOS check out this amazing little app — and yes it's FREE:
http://syntheticbits.com/littlemidi.html
mico wrote:Blowing up my own thread here, but I also tried MIDI and sure enough, the MiniBrute does not transmit arpeggiation through MIDI connection. Man, is this getting frustrating.

I'm beginning to wonder if I'd better off picking up an Electribe or MicroKorg just for sending arpeggiation via MIDI. -_-
Please Call Me, PETE
https://petedako.bandcamp.com/music
"Mr. Pete" at ModWiggler @petedako on Twitter,
Bandcamp & all the other platforms :D

mico

Post by mico » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:15 pm

misterpete wrote:FYI the Slim Phatty arp works grrrrreat and sends MIDI out, too! ~
However, the MicroKorg I owned (grey one?) and resold did NOT send arp info via MIDI :lol:

ALSO — for those on iOS check out this amazing little app — and yes it's FREE:
http://syntheticbits.com/littlemidi.html
Thanks, Pete. I already LittleMIDI and yes, it is a great app.

Good call on the MicroKorg; I hadn't heard that before. In any event, I decided against purchasing another piece of hardware solely to send arpeggiations. I have been considering a Slim Phatty, but as of right now, I think I will refrain from doing so.

I'm going to keep working on the settings within the SPA app and hopefully sort out this issue I am having. If I manage to, it will suit me well enough until either one is integrated into the Sub Phatty or can afford to purchase a Slim Phatty. Their reported warm-up issues due the smaller enclosure, tuning instability, and so on are a bit of a detriment at the given moment, sad to say.

misterpete

Post by misterpete » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:25 am

FWIW, i think you COULD solve your problem with the CP-251's attenuators and the tuning knobs from the minibrute CV PITCH output ... I haven't yet tried sending the arp out over CV though I have used the CV IN from CP-251 and XL to control the pitch of the arpeggios on the minibrute.
Although I was skeptical at first, after endorsements from Kenneth and Marc and some of the rest of the forum members here, I just picked up a MiniBrute myself on cl and i totally love it ~ the filter is especially useful to add new colors to my synth sound palette — plus between it and an old ARP Axxe I am finally getting into the 1/8" jacks.
Personally, I don't think there's any "overlap" on any of these instruments- between the sounds and interfaces. The idea that you could have one "swiss army knife" analog mono synth is silly to me.

Every single one of them have their own individual character and charm...I imagine they will all sit beside and stand out with the SubPhatty as well ~ look forward to getting mine SOON! 8)

TO MY EARS, the best call on the MicroKorg is that (unlike the Minibrute!) it just doesn't sound very good. However, you could send out the arp from either the minbrute or the microKorg into a MOOG as audio in — the Slim sounds great as well, of course so any issues about 'warm up time' and oscillator drift are non-starters. I am looking forward to playing with this soon though with the SUB Phatty, Korg MS-10, Axxe all of them— and welcome those rich wavering analog tuning characters these instruments will provide....
mico wrote:Good call on the MicroKorg; I hadn't heard that before. In any event, I decided against purchasing another piece of hardware solely to send arpeggiations. I have been considering a Slim Phatty, but as of right now, I think I will refrain from doing so.

I'm going to keep working on the settings within the SPA app and hopefully sort out this issue I am having. If I manage to, it will suit me well enough until either one is integrated into the Sub Phatty or can afford to purchase a Slim Phatty. Their reported warm-up issues due the smaller enclosure, tuning instability, and so on are a bit of a detriment at the given moment, sad to say.
Please Call Me, PETE
https://petedako.bandcamp.com/music
"Mr. Pete" at ModWiggler @petedako on Twitter,
Bandcamp & all the other platforms :D