Newbie Here...Amp Question

Everything Phatty.
onecent

Newbie Here...Amp Question

Post by onecent » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:38 pm

I am purchasing a Sub Phatty and I currently have a Tech 21 Power Engine 60. It is mostly used for guitar pedals due to the fact it is a transparent amp. No pre-amp. Can I use this on the Sub Phatty. Note, just bedroom use. Here is some added info. Thanks in advance.

The Power Engine 60 is an all-purpose, multi-function, powered extension cabinet. Packing 60 watts of transparent power, it can be used with any direct recording device or pre-amp, analog or digital, tube or solid state, in stompbox or rackmount formats --including our very own line of SansAmps. When plugging your favorite device into a Power Engine, the tone is unaffected. So there's no need to labor over readjusting all your parameters that would otherwise be colored by a conventional amp.

These handsome cabinets perfectly complement our line of Trademark combo amps. The Power Engine 60 will accept XLR and 1/4” inputs and includes a balanced XLR output to ‘daisy-chain’ with other Power Engine 60s. Knowing that not all rooms are created acoustically perfect, you can compensate for less than ideal environments by adjusting the on-board, active three-band EQ.

Wherever your tones come from, make the Power Engine 60 your destination for portable, pure reproduction.

onecent

Re: Newbie Here...Amp Question

Post by onecent » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:41 pm

Really? Out of 28 views, nobody can answer this simple question?

Thanks.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:13 pm

The Celestion Seventy 80 worries me. It is a guitar speaker, and as such will not go as low as the Little Phatty nor as high as the Little Phatty. Definitely NOT suited for bass, but if you're just using the LP for lead sounds, it will work fine.
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:21 am

Hey Onecent. Welcome to the forum :)

For bedroom rehearsal, I use an AER Compact 60. It's quite enough powerful, if not too powerful, and it leaves the sound unaffected, even less than a PowerEngine. As a SansAmp user, I wanted to have something to plug my TriAC in. The AER won since it's more portable and more precise for acoustic use as well. Pricey... but I had a great opportunity on used one.

As said Voltor, the PowerEngine will eat some frequencies. However I think it can be ok for bedroom trips. Try one if you can.