Slim Phatty marries Korg MS-20 mini ?

Everything Phatty.
skuppy

Slim Phatty marries Korg MS-20 mini ?

Post by skuppy » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:22 am

Hi Guys

I have a moog slim phatty and love it
I am considering a korg ms-20 mini
Do you think these 2 be used together in respect to patching ?
I know the patch plugs might be a different size but could they be used together ?

thanks

Chris

EMwhite

Re: Slim Phatty marries Korg MS-20 mini ?

Post by EMwhite » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:26 am

Some of the modulation will be compatible (will need attenuation at worst), and certainly audio input/out is good to go. But pitch CV is a non-starter; for instance if you have CV out and hope to control the MS-20 with Arpeggiated sequence, the diff between Volt/Octave and Hz./Volt is an issue.

On the other hand, the 'mini' is Midi equipped so you can certainly control it this way. Sound-wise, certainly complementary; the Korg has a VERY different sound and filter section quite different. Have a look around at some of the good MS-20 videos (non-mini). Marc has a few that go in depth, worth a listen.

I pre-ordered an MS-20 mini and got a rock bottom price (one of those 15% coupons which knocked the price down the $519 or something obscene with free shipping) but forced myself to cancel it because my spending was getting out of control and to be honest, I spent too much time (and money) lusting after the next piece of gear last year and not enough time playing. Going at it different this year!
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

GovernorSilver

Post by GovernorSilver » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:42 am

If you already have a Eurorack modular, you could get the Harvestman English Tear module for CV interfacing with an MS-20.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:32 pm

EMwhite wrote:to be honest, I spent too much time (and money) lusting after the next piece of gear last year and not enough time playing. Going at it different this year!
So understandin you.

I sometimes feel guilty although my set-up is not so huge. The fact is like to focus on and over exploit a little set up. Now I cannot do this anymore. And in the mean time, as I don't buy so impulsively, I love every piece of gear I have and have hard time getting rid of it.

But hey, these are instruments, not talent nor pleasure. Speaking to myself, huh??? :)

skuppy

Post by skuppy » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:27 pm

Hi EMwhite,

yea hearing you man, thought I would have some incapatabilities
still the ms-20 mini sounds mad , pity about the mini keys
In OZ cant get any price below AU$699
I totally agree on buying this stuff gets out of hand and generally when it comes to selling you always lose out.
I used to be right into digital stuff but being a 60's baby and a big fan of Tangerine Dream I am totally dedicated to analogue stuff now
Wish I had bought some of the original gear available in 70/80's
Whats your opinion on the Moog Cp-251 or the midi murf ? Any expereinces ?

slamgauge

Post by slamgauge » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:04 am

As far as controlling the pitch of the Mini the TOTAL IN socket on the patch panel can be used as a V/Oct CV Input and by adjusting the MG/T.Ext knob, this is not as stable as a proper V/Oct CV in. Basically you would have to calibrate it everytime you want to control it with external pitch CV because the MG/T.Ext knob is acting like the slope trimpot, any slight touch of that knob after you get it set up right will throw off your pitch. Not to mention that if you lose that source of modulation. Midi input would be a much better option for pitch. Everything else should be in the same +/- 5V range that your Moog uses so patch away.

EricK

Post by EricK » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:34 am

The CP is a great little device that will help you attenuate, multiply, and mix voltages. It also has a dual waveform LFO, lag processor, noise source and S&H. It is a fantastic modulation/routing source.

I don't know what it would offer a Slim Phatty or if the voltages would be compatible with the MS20, but it really shines with you have a host of compatible sources and destinations to work with. It is usually pretty good at interfacing synths of different voltage ranges but I'm not sure about how it works with a Hz/V synth like the MS20.

My Midi Murf wasn't functioning properly so I returned it. I would have to hear one in person before I purchased another, but I would probably purchase a bass murf sight unseen.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

nectarios

Post by nectarios » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:57 pm

The MS-20 Mini is my next synth. Moog VCOs through that Korg VCF gives me sweaty palms already.
Eurorack, 5U, x0xb0x, Moog Slim Phatty, MF-102, MF-103, MF-108, CP-251, Beatstep Pro, Nord Lead 1, NI Maschine, MXR-104, ProCo RAT2, Big Muff π Bass, Logic Pro 9.
http://soundcloud.com/martianarts

misterpete

Post by misterpete » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:10 pm

maybe i better take another look at that Mini MS-20, 'cuz i was less than impressed at NAMM — but i picked up a lovely old MS-10 today for the same price ($7?) and it is WICKED crazy... pink noise, white noise audio IN ~ and lotsa mismatched CV numbers here to attentuate and mess around with. forget about the OB's and dubious 'polyphony'! three cheers for glorious monophonics! 8)
nectarios wrote:The MS-20 Mini is my next synth. Moog VCOs through that Korg VCF gives me sweaty palms already.
Please Call Me, PETE
https://petedako.bandcamp.com/music
"Mr. Pete" at ModWiggler @petedako on Twitter,
Bandcamp & all the other platforms :D