Moog SUB PHATTY

Everything Sub.
modul8tr

Re: Moog SUB PHATTY

Post by modul8tr » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:54 pm

A question for Mr. Doty,

After watching your series (excellent!), I still can't tell how similar the tone of the Sub Phatty is to the Little Phatty. In your time spent with the instrument, how close would you say the Sub comes to the Little Phatty?

I'm a long time lover of the Little Phatty sound. I planned on buying one and then heard about the Sub Phatty launch and began investigating it. I love the Sub, and there are many elements that are absolutely brilliant for its intended use in my studio. However, there's still an immediate warmth and roundness to the Little Phatty's sound, that I''m not always hearing in the YouTube demos for the Sub Phatty. That's not a knock on the Sub Phatty. It's simply a different instrument (an evolution?), and the demos of course focus on those differences. I know Amos said in the NAMM preview video, that if you have the mixer knobs at 12 o'clock, you can dial in those smooth classic tones. It was a beautiful rich sound, but it was still hard to tell if the warmth my ear loves, was still there in the same amounts.

So, for a guy that was sold and has money in hand for the Little Phatty, would the Sub Phatty be an evolution, capable of producing those same Little Phatty tones as well as a whole new world of sonic possibility? Or is it a totally different instrument?

I realize I may end up buying a Sub Phatty and maybe a Slim Phatty. But I'd rather just buy one and be done with it.

Can't wait to A/B these in a store if possible.

museslave

Post by museslave » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:22 pm

People have different perceptions of tone, and sometimes it's hard to reconcile them.

I've always felt that the Phatty is a very pointed sound... gritty, and hard.

The Sub Phatty, from my experience, was absolutely nothing like a Phatty in sound. My initial experience of it at NAMM was one where it was rich and warm and buttery. The experience I had with the one I included in the demonstration was different, but it was still more like I just described than the average Phatty, even with some of the more grating aspects engaged.
www.youtube.com/user/automaticgainsay
www.myspace.com/automaticgainsay2
www.myspace.com/godfreyscordialmusic

jags

Post by jags » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:05 am

museslave wrote: My initial experience of it at NAMM was one where it was rich and warm and buttery. The experience I had with the one I included in the demonstration was different.
Marc,

Could the difference you experianced between the unit at NAMM and the unit you videoed be caused by the probability that the filter pole was set differently when you shot the video? You mentioned that the video was shot with the filter in 18 dB or12dB per octave mode, despite the fact that you had set it to 24dB per octave. That different filter pole setting would cause a more stringent and less smooth sound wouldn't it?

I'm guessing that the Moog Sub can produce the smooth, fat, rich tones of the other Phattys. Or at least I'm hoping it will! Also when are you goung to post the Last Sub Phatty Video demoing more of the sounds?

Thanks again for all the great videos!

modul8tr

Post by modul8tr » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:09 am

Thanks Marc!

More food for thought. Hmmmm.

So let me say it this way...if I purchased a Slim Phatty and Sub Phatty, would I have a lot of overlap in tone? Are they that different?

Also, I understand that the Sub Phatty has Minitaur DNA. I love the Minitaur sound. On paper I get that the Sub Phatty should have serious bass capabilities. In your time with it, what was your perception?

EDIT: Ditto on what Jags just posted.

jags

Post by jags » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:59 am

Here is another video that shows off the great sound of the Sub Phatty. So FAT and JUICEY!!! It screams "I'm a MMMMMMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBJUmAL2R30

dswo

Post by dswo » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:34 pm

Hidden Parameters documentation now available from the Sub Phatty download section: http://www.moogmusic.com/products/phatt ... nloads-tab
David Wilson-Okamura

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:01 am

That is a lot of stuff to memorize!
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

jags

Post by jags » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:09 am

The Moog Sub Phatty Page is now showing "Now Shipping"!! Anyone have any details on this?

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:37 am

EricK wrote:That is a lot of stuff to memorize!
so is synthesis :wink:
My modular so far: Q104, Q106 x2, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, Mixer and Mankato playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M x2 ( STEREO!) Volca Beats and Bass, Arturia Beat step

modul8tr

Post by modul8tr » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:55 am

So are these out in the wild? This one has wood side panels.

http://stereoklang.se/blog/moog-sub-pha ... sequencing

jags

Post by jags » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:38 am

modul8tr wrote:So are these out in the wild? This one has wood side panels.

http://stereoklang.se/blog/moog-sub-pha ... sequencing

That was quite interesting and quite nice!! Wood side panels. Wonder if the factory put those on one of the demos that they are sending out. Or perhaps they swaped some off a Little Phatty just to make the video different. In any case it's something I'm considering when I get mine. A friend of mine has some nice Koa slabs he could work up for me. Now that would be sweet!!

dswo

Post by dswo » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:02 pm

I have cleared a space on my bench.
David Wilson-Okamura

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:15 pm

Jags, they don't look like wood sides to me. More like tan colored plastic. :roll:
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

IgorCristo

Post by IgorCristo » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:44 am

Just ordered one! It'll take sometime to get my hands on it, since I live in Brazil I'll have to wait for it to arrive...

Very happy right now!

I was wondering: are the oscillators really more like the Minitaur than the Phatty? I have a Little Phatty and I think the Sub will be a nice add-on to my gear.

Cheers!
Moog Minimoog Voyager Performer Edition and Little Phatty Stage II | Elektron Analog Four and Analog Rytm | Mutable Instruments Ambika | Korg Minilogue

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:29 pm

IgorCristo wrote:
I was wondering: are the oscillators really more like the Minitaur than the Phatty? I have a Little Phatty and I think the Sub will be a nice add-on to my gear.
They have the stability of the Minitaur, and I believe the warmup time as well, though I could be mistaken on that. Also, you also have a SUB oscillator to work with, for extra punch.
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.