Slew Rate Mod

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
nms

Re: Slew Rate Mod

Post by nms » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:42 pm

For those really interested in bringing out tones & high freqs from the voyager I highly recommend a UBK Clariphonic. For those on a budget they did just launch a plugin version but I don't know how it measures up.
I have a BBE sonic maximizer as well but it's obviously a different league. The Clariphonic is where it's at!
Voyager RME | Virus Ti2 Polar | Juno 60 | EL8X Distressor | UBK Clariphonic | Lynx Hilo | Motu 828mk2 | Focal Twin6be

masaski

Post by masaski » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:58 pm

Mine's at hhb in the uk atm getting some repairs fixed.

Wondering if they'll do the mod there?

Themaktima

Post by Themaktima » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:23 pm

I made a little video comparing a modded Voyager to an unmodded one by running the waveforms through an oscilloscope... I believe the mod makes quite a big difference.

http://youtu.be/R7_GSlFHCYE

filtered

Post by filtered » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:37 pm

I made a little video comparing a modded Voyager to an unmodded one by running the waveforms through an oscilloscope... I believe the mod makes quite a big difference.
nice example! tacky question, but how much did that set you back?

thanks

Themaktima

Post by Themaktima » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:24 am

My Voyager´s been updated by Rudi Linhard (http://www.lintronics.de) in Germany, and it was EUR 150. I think the price depends on the model you own, so I suggest to get in touch with him directly. I´ve heard that Moog themselves offer the mod now, but I don´t know what they´re asking.

tkobrick

Post by tkobrick » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:05 am

I can confirm that they do the slew rate mod at Moog Music, because I had it done to my new Voyager as they built it. They charge $150 for the mod to be done on a Voyager Select - good advice to call for specifics. They are really great to talk to.

masaski

Post by masaski » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:50 pm

Hey there,

Sooooo the great people at HHB in the UK have modded my voyager. It was there for some warranty repairs, and because there was a bit of messing around, they did the mod, FOC! :D

Anyhow, for anyone that's interested, below is a link to a small wav toggling through the 4 waves A/Bing, with the slew rate mod being the second.

https://soundcloud.com/special-executive/slew-rate-ab
Last edited by masaski on Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:09 pm

I don't like to have to create an account on a web site (even if it's free), and then log on in order to simply listen to an mp3... Why don't you use Soundcloud that lets anyone listen for free without having to register ?
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

tkobrick

Post by tkobrick » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:21 pm

I'd love to hear this comparison, but it looks like I need to login in via facebook to do it? Sorry, but I refuse to give any more random "free" sites my facebook info - any chance you could post on soundcloud? :)

masaski

Post by masaski » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:20 pm

thealien666 wrote:I don't like to have to create an account on a web site (even if it's free), and then log on in order to simply listen to an mp3... Why don't you use Soundcloud that lets anyone listen for free without having to register ?

Yeah sorry about that...i thought you could play it without registering. Just created a new soundcloud now.

https://soundcloud.com/special-executive/slew-rate-ab

tkobrick

Post by tkobrick » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:50 am

Hey masaski - thanks for posting this. What a difference! This was fun for me to hear - I just got my Voyager a few weeks ago, with the mod as part of the build, so it's interesting to hear the comparison since I don't have a "before" version. I have to say, I cannot imagine being happier with the tone I am getting out of that thing. It really sings.

Now that you have a Soundcloud account you can start posting your compositions and experiments. :)

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:51 pm

Thanks masaski.

BTW, for those who own a Voyager and don't yet have had this mod done, a similar result can be obtained by offsetting the filter cutoff by setting the "amount to filter" knob to maximum in the filter envelope with sustain at max. The filter cutoff knob on Voyager doesn't open the filter fully by default, resulting in somewhat dull sounding waveforms.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion