Model D mods, ever see these?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Indeed

Model D mods, ever see these?

Post by Indeed » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:07 pm

Hi,
I bought a Model D around 8 months ago from a pawn shop (no it wasn't cheap). Serial is #7604. I'm curious about 2 modifications it has. Its my first Model D, so I wasn't completely hip to exactly what came standard on it & whatnot. I haven't sent this in for servicing yet, so I haven't asked a tech yet. Wondering if anyone has seen these mods before & know what they're for? I can't seem to get consistent results from pushing the red buttons, due to other malfunctionings in the synth clouding a clear view of the situation. The jacks in the back? I haven't tested these at all.

Thanks,
Danny
P1010549.jpg
P1010549.jpg (80.41 KiB) Viewed 2168 times
P1010550.jpg
P1010550.jpg (71 KiB) Viewed 2168 times
MPC3000, MF-101, 102, 103, 104Z, 105M, 108m, 107, CP-251, MINI MODEL D, OB-8, ALESIS A6, ARP ODYSSEY MK1, RHODES MK1

dr_floyd

Re: Model D mods, ever see these?

Post by dr_floyd » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:27 pm

Hi Danny.
I've got two Minis, one heavily modded, but I haven't seen the red buttons before.
You say you get inconsistent results. Can you describe what happens, including red button presses and the other malfunctions?

The other jacks could be almost anything. Maybe even related to the red buttons. You could open it up and describe where wires are connected and that would solve the mystery pretty quickly.

Congratulations. These are fantastic machines.

megavoice

Post by megavoice » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:26 pm

I would bet my head, the red knobs are "ON"-knobs. Set a certain amount of "Decay" or "Glide", put both white toggle-switches in "off"-position and press and hold one or both red buttons and play on the keyboard simultanously. If I'm right, you'll hear then "Decay" and/or "Glide" 'till you let off the red buttons. Do this repeatedly.
"Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and fu** the prom queen." —Sean Connery to Nicholas Cage in "The Rock" (1996)
I've never seen any real prom queen here in my country, but if we had some they'd
**** with everyone.

Mitchell Chastain

Post by Mitchell Chastain » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:03 pm

The red buttons are almost certainly "momentary" switches for the decay and glide. I have an RA model and it came with these, although they're round buttons and a little smaller. I've read somewhere that Moog still made these available as an option for a while after they went to the pedal jacks.

Kevin Lightner

Post by Kevin Lightner » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:12 pm

The buttons that came with your Mini (Michael) are momentary Switchcraft types.
High quality buttons that are still made today. (available in black and red, fwiw)

The buttons shown in the photo above look very much like the cheap types that Radio Shack and others have offered for years.
They come in both momentary and push on/push off styles.
So it's hard to say quite what the original poster has or what they do.
If push on/push off, they might change CV and Gate from the keyboard to those added jacks in the back.
Hard to say until it visits a tech.
The jacks they replaced are not 1/4" though and may be difficult to find if he's returning it to stock.
Moog used smaller diameter jacks for their footpedals and footswitches.
On a stock Mini, it was actually possible to vary the glide rate using a Moog foot pedal.
Unfortunately it used a special pot in that pedal (5 meg audio taper) and a normal volume pedal today won't work.
Better to be king for a night than schmuck for a lifetime. - R. Pupkin