What are the differences between the Paul Vo Edition and E1?

The Moog Guitar is here. The revolution starts now!
Imoogination

What are the differences between the Paul Vo Edition and E1?

Post by Imoogination » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:04 pm

I have been thinking about ordering a Moog Guitar for awhile. Im a fan of build quality, dynamics and no design issues.
In some reviews, the Paul Vo seemed to have some "prototype issues" and im wondering what these could be?
Are these ironed out in the later Paul Vo editions, and how does the E1 perform compared to a Paul Vo?

Im wondering what the main qualitative differences are, between the Paul Vo and the E1. If there is anything to gain on bying a more expensive guitar.
Will the tone be better, is the build worth it etc. These are all questions I have. Anyone with experience, or somebody who could give me a heads up on both?
For example, I might as well order an E1, if the Paul Vo has slight issues or if there is nothing to gain in terms of the elusive term "sound quality".

The term is quite relative, therefore im looking for some reflections on the subject.

Cheers!

EricK

Re: What are the differences between the Paul Vo Edition and

Post by EricK » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:16 pm

THe only thing that I can say is that the colectors edition had quintuple A woodwork. Now exactly what that entails, Im not sure, but any kind of extra wood usually affects the tone, exactly to what degree I can't speak to.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

V_____

Post by V_____ » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:39 pm

From my understanding, the E1 uses woods more akin to a Fender Strat. It has an alder body and a maple neck with an ebony fretboard (ebony is not a typical strat fretboard, but it's somewhat like maple in that it's brighter and harder than rosewood).

The Paul Vo is constructed more like a Les Paul. It has a maple cap (highly figured) and a mahogany body (or ash, apparently, according to the specs).

Of course, there's also a fancier finish and different cosmetics on the Paul VO.

I personally prefer the simpler look of the E1 and I'm more of a Fender player anyway.

As far as i know the necks are pretty much the same design.

stereordinary

Post by stereordinary » Fri May 06, 2011 6:12 pm

From what I've seen the Vo edition has a one-piece rift sawn Maple neck, and the E1 has a three-piece laminated quarter sawn neck.