Video :: LP CV Outs to Moog Guitar and more...

The Moog Guitar is here. The revolution starts now!
ChrisStack

Video :: LP CV Outs to Moog Guitar and more...

Post by ChrisStack » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:39 am

New Video from experimentalsynth.com...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BHXHd7v040

Connecting LP CV Outs to the Slim Phatty, Voyager, Moog Guitar and Moogerfoogers!

Experiment and Explore...

Chris
http://www.experimentalsynth.com
Chris Stack
I do interesting things

cliffman

Re: Video :: LP CV Outs to Moog Guitar and more...

Post by cliffman » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:49 pm

Well, there is only the one CV in, and depending on what mode the guitar is in (toggle switch), you get three possibilities:

- It moves the center frequency of the low-pass filter, which Chris showed in his fine demo
- It moves the frequency for the auto-wah function. (I think the pedal is controlling the upper limit for the auto wah)
This is somewhat interesting, or not. The moog guitar has a somewhat unique auto-wah, you normally don't have footpedal
frequency control with an auto-wah. So, adding CV gives you a sort of double-auto wah, since the 'auto' part of the
circuit is also moving the frequency around.

- It moves the pickup location for the Vo Power. Doing this with CV is .... interesting. I like the result with a slow LFO at a low amplitude.

gabrielstigmatic

Post by gabrielstigmatic » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:15 am

You can put the guitar signal into the audio in and get some modulation... But if you get the MIDI function for your Moog guitar, omg the possibilities are endless!

cliffman

Post by cliffman » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:19 pm

Well, you can get the 13-pin output on the E1, but to clarify, it's NOT MIDI.
It's just the output from the piezos, and the proper connector, so you can plug
the guitar into a guitar->MIDI converter of some kind. guitar->MIDI converters are
made by a few companies, Roland makes the GR- series, Axon was another.

Also, must be very honest, you won't be able to control things just like a keyboard,
guitar/synth is a bit wonkier. You are still playing a guitar, not a guitar-shaped keyboard.
Great for single lines, not so good for great big chords.

And I must note, the Little Phatty does NOT track MIDI pitch bend accurately, (confirmed by
Amos, who keeps promising a fix, someday) - so if you use pitch bend for expression,
it WILL bend out-of tune - try doing unison bends with your straight guitar, and you'll see
what I mean.

Also, you don't need to Phatty to have fun - something like the CP-251 gives you CV.
And to further clarify, the guitar has no CV out, just audio out.

If you want quick, easy guitar-like MIDI control, I can't say enough good stuff
about the You Rock Guitar - it's cheep, and for me works as good at the very expensive Starr controller
I sold a few years ago....

For lines where i want expression, I use a regular guitar, but for entering chords and
quickly getting MIDI note info into the computer, the YRG is very nice.

ChrisStack

Post by ChrisStack » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:45 pm

PJ13,

A number of the Moogerfoogers have CV outs that can be connected to the CV in of the Moog Guitar. The MF-102 Ring Mod has an LFO out. The MF-101 Low PAss Filter and MF-107 FreqBox have ENV outs... great for running drums through them and having the volume peaks pop the filter on the guitar in time to the beat. Follows and rhythm and syncopation too. Just needs a strong signal.

The Multi-Pedal is also great with it or all in combination. Check this out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_vJvzt19e4

Chris
Chris Stack
I do interesting things