Moog stereo filter?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
rushton

Moog stereo filter?

Post by rushton » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:45 am

Does anyone else think a stereo, rack mountable, midi controllable version of the mf-101 would be cool?

CTRLSHFT

Re: Moog stereo filter?

Post by CTRLSHFT » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:43 pm

rushton wrote:Does anyone else think a stereo, rack mountable, midi controllable version of the mf-101 would be cool?
I think this IRL would be even cooler:

www.ctrlshft.com

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:48 pm

Having been to a lot of bedroom/basement studios it seems to me that a table-top
unit would be most appreciated. The kind of folks who would love having true analog
stereo filtering are also the ones who would want to turn these knobs in realtime.

( MF-121 ?)

In the ultimate version there would be a pair of knobs for every parameter (L/R) as well as a
matched pair of CV Ins/Outs. If you only used the Left/Mono jacks the CVs would be matched
for both sides. (Or there could be a global Dual Mono/Stereo switch that locked all CVs + knobs.)
The idea being that this unit could act as two separate MF-101s or as a true-stereo MF-121.

It would also be great if the MF-121 had a pair of Aux Env In jacks that bypassed the Audio Ins
from getting to the Envelope Followers. It would be amazing to hear what an external, stereo
audio source would do to the spacial imaging/panning of the filtered audio.

And not to start the controversy again, but this would be an excellent product to feature MIDI
control as well as all of the current analog control. Ideally it would have MIDI In and Out because
modern music producers will want to tweak the knobs while recording their movements to a DAW.

This product would be an easy sell to those not yet in the analog world as it would be an excellent
way to make a track sound more authentic.

One final feature that would take it over the top: USB connectivity so that a track in a DAW could
go out to the MF-121 and then back into their track with no hassle at all. The USB would not only
be used as the Send/Return for the track's audio, it would also be the MIDI connection to record the
knobs' movements.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

peterkadar

Post by peterkadar » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:33 pm

YESSS!!!

I would buy a hardware version of that picture in a second!

And demon_dan's ideas are awesome as well. Combine them and sign me up!!

Multimode stereo Moog filter??? Hells yeah!! 8)

EricK

Post by EricK » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:21 am

That looks like it is three rack spaces, and could easily fit into the cp251 rack shelf.

However I would hope if Moog actually made this they would include all of the required jacks on the front.

Maybe instead of a 2 way switch, you put a 4-throw switch in there of some type to allow for 1-4 filter poles.

And just because we are dreaming here, add an LP style overdrive button.

I imagine a unit like this with all the features would probably be 1200 bucks +.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

peterkadar

Post by peterkadar » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:01 pm

Yeah, what he said!!

Sign me up.

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:03 pm

You can build a similar device for 882 USD and in stereo for a few hundred more.
Attachments
dotrack.JPG
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:22 am

Just Me wrote:You can build a similar device for 882 USD and in stereo for a few hundred more.
And you save about a grand over what the Moog equivalent would cost. :lol:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:29 pm

Voltor07 wrote:
Just Me wrote:You can build a similar device for 882 USD and in stereo for a few hundred more.
And you save about a grand over what the Moog equivalent would cost. :lol:
Think so? I bet they could build it for less than a sherman filterbank.
www.ctrlshft.com

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:39 pm

Sherman's have a flexible ADSR EG (or envelope follower), two completely (cutoff, resonance, env. amount) independent filters, sync between the two, mixable state-variable modes, MIDI etc.

So a price-feature comparison?

I'd probably stick with Shermans over a "new" Moog filter, plus if I wanted more Moogy sounds I'd use the Voyager, Taurus (no ext. input) or MF-101.

EricK

Post by EricK » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:24 pm

Thats my only real complaint is that the Taurus has no audio input. To have a limited edition instrument and being able to process sounds with a limited edition filter would be to a producers advantage....especially with that uniquely overdriven filter.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:46 pm

latigid on wrote:Sherman's have a flexible ADSR EG (or envelope follower), two completely (cutoff, resonance, env. amount) independent filters, sync between the two, mixable state-variable modes, MIDI etc.

So a price-feature comparison?

I'd probably stick with Shermans over a "new" Moog filter, plus if I wanted more Moogy sounds I'd use the Voyager, Taurus (no ext. input) or MF-101.
Hence the qualifier "less". I think for around 550-600 they could come out with a more fleshed out version w/ CV i/o that'd be pretty killer. A stereo filter would be preferable too, depends on how they did it.
www.ctrlshft.com

michaelkevin

Post by michaelkevin » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:54 pm

MOOG, YES, PLEASE, A STEREO VERSION OF THE MF-101 OR OF THE MOOG LADDER (or adding a stereo link to the Ladder, ala the Emperical Labs Distressor) WOULD BE THE BEST STEREO FILTER EVER. YES PLEASE. REVIVE THIS THREAD FROM YEARS AGO. EVERYONE POST ON HERE AND AGREE WITH ME SO THAT MOOG MAKES IT.

I do have a stereo Sherman Rodec Filter Restyler. It's cool. It does a lot of it's own cool weird stuff. But having the drive and sound and envelope stuff from the Moogerfooger would definitely be superior. I reamp L/R channels separately through the thing all the time.