Done...

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers

Was your brand new Voyager absolutely perfect when you got it?

yes
64%
no
36%

Total votes: 25

rnbeatz

Post by rnbeatz » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:23 pm

I have a select series that has minor bubbling on the faceplate. It wasn't bad enough for me to justify being without it long enough to be fixed or replaced. I don't even notice it now unless I look for it. But, when I first took it out of the box, it was a blemish on an otherwise perfect instrument.

Jrayk Roze

Post by Jrayk Roze » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:28 am

Are Voyagers supposed to have that gunky adhesive on the sides off the rocker switches? On all my switches (except the Release and Glide) there's gummy stuff on the sides. I filed it off a few switched, though.
Voyager Old School #0005, Etherwave #18321, Stereo Memory Man w/ Hazarai, CP-251, and a Nord Lead 2X

alainhubert

Post by alainhubert » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:43 am

Jrayk Roze wrote:Are Voyagers supposed to have that gunky adhesive on the sides off the rocker switches? On all my switches (except the Release and Glide) there's gummy stuff on the sides. I filed it off a few switched, though.
No, I don't think so. The rocker switch sides on mine are exactly the same as the front of the switches. I don't have any idea where that gunky adhesive is coming from?

The only thing I had to remove from my Old School was the clear plastic protectors from the center of the knobs.

c7sus

Post by c7sus » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:49 am

I bought my EB through Steviejams on Ebay in summer 2005. It arrived double-boxed in flawless condition. I'm still using v2.5 but have the 3.xx/aftertouch upgrade here for....... almost 18 months now.......eek!!! Just haven't wanted to mess with a good thing I guess.

I would like to send it in for a general tuneup and the filter glide mod and maybe the blinking wheels but I'm just not into sending my baby across the country twice.

It has developed some weird little digital gremlins; sometimes when adjusting the octave registers of the oscillators the screen flashes the wrong parameter or even another parameter altogether. But after jiggling the knob a bit it returns to the proper reading once again.

Overall I couldn't be more pleased with the EB. In my mind it is the ultimate creation of Dr. Moog, combining the amazing creative power of his analog CV designs with 21st century digital memory and MIDI. Between the MoogerFoogers and the Voyager I think Moog has redefined the idea of a modular synth into something much more accessable than the originals back in the day but every bit as interactive and tweakable.

alainhubert

Post by alainhubert » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:51 am

Rudelius wrote: The pitch stays the same in that octave (the pitch bend wheel does work
on those notes, but has the same pitch as the previously pressed note
that does work) and the envelope won't trigger. But when you press
those certain "flawed" keys a bit harder, than it will trigger the envelopes
and the pitch will sound correctly. Some keys act worse than others.
Would that be a typical keyboard scanner problem you think? Or might it
be a misaligned keybed/keyboard (mechanical) problem?

I think that there might be an issue with your keyboard scanning circuit. I would contact Moog Music about it ASAP and see what they think about it.

EricK

Post by EricK » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:59 am

c7sus wrote:I bought my EB through Steviejams on Ebay in summer 2005. It arrived double-boxed in flawless condition. I'm still using v2.5 but have the 3.xx/aftertouch upgrade here for....... almost 18 months now.......eek!!! Just haven't wanted to mess with a good thing I guess.

I would like to send it in for a general tuneup and the filter glide mod and maybe the blinking wheels but I'm just not into sending my baby across the country twice.

It has developed some weird little digital gremlins; sometimes when adjusting the octave registers of the oscillators the screen flashes the wrong parameter or even another parameter altogether. But after jiggling the knob a bit it returns to the proper reading once again.

Overall I couldn't be more pleased with the EB. In my mind it is the ultimate creation of Dr. Moog, combining the amazing creative power of his analog CV designs with 21st century digital memory and MIDI. Between the MoogerFoogers and the Voyager I think Moog has redefined the idea of a modular synth into something much more accessable than the originals back in the day but every bit as interactive and tweakable.
Amen to that.....all while disguising the "Modules" as pedals marketed to guitar players.

If I turn the knob really fast all the way clockwise, the final value might be les than 255. But move it around and it will register the full value. I don't know if the sound is affected...one value can be almost indescernable.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Jrayk Roze

Post by Jrayk Roze » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:07 pm

alainhubert wrote:
Jrayk Roze wrote:Are Voyagers supposed to have that gunky adhesive on the sides off the rocker switches? On all my switches (except the Release and Glide) there's gummy stuff on the sides. I filed it off a few switched, though.
No, I don't think so. The rocker switch sides on mine are exactly the same as the front of the switches. I don't have any idea where that gunky adhesive is coming from?

The only thing I had to remove from my Old School was the clear plastic protectors from the center of the knobs.
I think the gunky adhesive is coming from that massive panel overlay sticker. The switches look like they got too close to the sticker sometime, and they got some glue on them. I'll just simply file it off the sides, I guess.
Voyager Old School #0005, Etherwave #18321, Stereo Memory Man w/ Hazarai, CP-251, and a Nord Lead 2X

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:17 pm

Jrayk Roze wrote:
I think the gunky adhesive is coming from that massive panel overlay sticker. The switches look like they got too close to the sticker sometime, and they got some glue on them. I'll just simply file it off the sides, I guess.
DO NOT file the sides of the switches! :shock: That will surely cause scratching! Alcohol pads should work fine, or else isopropyl 70% solution and Q-tips. The wooden ones, not the cheap plastic ones. :wink:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

dave500

try this

Post by dave500 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:33 pm

Maybe you should try something like this.

http://www.magicamerican.com/googone/ca ... aners.aspx
Model D, Little Phatty Tribute w/cv, The Rogue, MF-102, CP-251, Animoog and Filtatron

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:58 am

That could ruin the panel sticker, though. Goo Gone is what I use to remove old stickers from stuff. Good idea, though dave 500! If he's very careful, it could work, but not my first choice of cleaning switches on a new $2600 synth. :wink:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

Analog!

Post by Analog! » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:56 pm

Just received my Voyager OS today and it is flawless.

mayidunk

Post by mayidunk » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:06 am

Rudelius wrote:
mayidunk wrote:
Rudelius wrote:
mayidunk wrote:I bought a new Voyager Performer from Sweetwater. It needed to have the keyboard scanner replaced inside of three days. The pitch bend wheel also kind of catches at the end of its travel when bending the note down. It doesn't really catch, but you can feel it rub against something before it hits the stop. It's not a biggy, but I do notice it.

I have exactly the same problem with the pitch bend wheel on my Old
School, although I find that not too problematic. Much more worrying is
that some keys wont trigger the envelopes and also the pitch stays the
same on those keys. You just have to press a wee bit harder on those
keys to get it done, but that can be very annoying when you play a slow
solo or something. I think Moog is doing everything they can to do it
right, but quality control should improve a bit I guess. I'm sure it will be
solved, I still have a full year of warranty. BTW, I have a Little Phatty
Tribute as well, and it also was not perfectly flawless (it still isn't, but I'm
hoping with the new update it will). Nevertheless I'm still very happy with
both! :-)
When you say that the pitch stays the same on those keys, do you mean that you cannot bend the pitch on those keys using the pitch bend, or that the keys are all playing the same note in the same octave? Either way, you might want to call Moog tech support and discuss it with them. It sounds like your OS may need a little work.
The pitch stays the same in that octave (the pitch bend wheel does work

No matter what might be causing it, if I were you I'd contact Moog Music for an RMA, the sooner the better.

My $0.02, humbly submitted.

Rudelius

Post by Rudelius » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:48 am

mayidunk wrote:
Rudelius wrote:
mayidunk wrote:
Rudelius wrote:
mayidunk wrote:I bought a new Voyager Performer from Sweetwater. It needed to have the keyboard scanner replaced inside of three days. The pitch bend wheel also kind of catches at the end of its travel when bending the note down. It doesn't really catch, but you can feel it rub against something before it hits the stop. It's not a biggy, but I do notice it.

I have exactly the same problem with the pitch bend wheel on my Old
School, although I find that not too problematic. Much more worrying is
that some keys wont trigger the envelopes and also the pitch stays the
same on those keys. You just have to press a wee bit harder on those
keys to get it done, but that can be very annoying when you play a slow
solo or something. I think Moog is doing everything they can to do it
right, but quality control should improve a bit I guess. I'm sure it will be
solved, I still have a full year of warranty. BTW, I have a Little Phatty
Tribute as well, and it also was not perfectly flawless (it still isn't, but I'm
hoping with the new update it will). Nevertheless I'm still very happy with
both! :-)
When you say that the pitch stays the same on those keys, do you mean that you cannot bend the pitch on those keys using the pitch bend, or that the keys are all playing the same note in the same octave? Either way, you might want to call Moog tech support and discuss it with them. It sounds like your OS may need a little work.
The pitch stays the same in that octave (the pitch bend wheel does work

No matter what might be causing it, if I were you I'd contact Moog Music for an RMA, the sooner the better.

My $0.02, humbly submitted.
I just did that, so I know have to wait what they will say. I have one year
of warranty, so I guess the store where I bought it will have to take care
of it. I wouldn't be very happy when it has to return to Moog in the USA,
as I think it's not that well packed for intercontinental shipping. And
buying an ATA case just for returning it, is not an option.

Octopigeon

Got mine yesterday

Post by Octopigeon » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:52 pm

Mine seems completely fine.Suprising given the fact that they box these $3000 synths in the equivelant of loose leaf paper :lol:

Voltor07

Re: Got mine yesterday

Post by Voltor07 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:56 pm

Octopigeon wrote:Mine seems completely fine.Suprising given the fact that they box these $3000 synths in the equivelant of loose leaf paper :lol:
Those are just the display boxes. They SHOULD be shipped in a rigid cardboard carton. From the factory to the store, they are shipped in a single carton, five or six at a time. :wink: