What benefits are from buying Editor Software?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
mrhuge

What benefits are from buying Editor Software?

Post by mrhuge » Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:23 am

Hi guys!

Do I really have to buy Editor software for Voyger? Is Demo downloadable from site fully functional?

till

Post by till » Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:57 pm

You don't need the editor to use the Voyager.
It is only helping sorting patches quick and easily.
And there are some morphing like edit possibilities in the editor. One may need this, others don't.
I would rather suggest to buy some controller pedal to expand sonic possibilities by using dynamic variable mod bus two modulations.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

mrhuge

Post by mrhuge » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:59 pm

Thanks Till!

I agree that it just makes life with voyager a bit simplier but without it to my mind it's like summing 100 values using a calculator or do it using Microsoft excel :) It can be done but with what speed&

All features here:

Features of the Minimoog Voyager Editor/Librarian includes:
• Support for seven sound banks of 128 presets
• Editing all Voyager parameters from a single interface window
• Two Editing window surfaces to choose from – Expert and Classic
• Panel change sensing
• Random patch generation - morphing, mixing and mutating from one sound to another
• Preset Bank Management and Librarian functions, with support for the Voyager’s ‘Sound Category’
feature.
• User selectable 16-bit or 8-bit parameter editing resolution
• Auditioning Voyager sounds remotely from the Macintosh keyboard
• All six Voyager preset factory banks (SE, AE, RME, EB, TWolf and Zon Vern Pyles)

File Options:
• Unlimited Voyager bank data load and save
• Support for Voyager Operating System update installation

Edit Functions:
• Full editing functions available (Copy, Paste, Rename, Initialize and Write presets or banks)

MIDI Functions:
• MIDI Setup on channels 1-16
• Transmit/Receive Voyager Preset Banks
• Receive individual Voyager Presets

Bank Functions:
• Permits loading/saving complete Voyager banks
• Presets can easily moved between banks for quick organization
• A new Single Parameter Adjustment feature permits adjustment of a single parameter for one preset, a
group of presets, or entire an entire bank
• Presets can be copied from the Bank to any Librarian category (32 available) and vice versa. Libraries
can hold an unlimited numbers of Voyager presets.
• Enhanced User Bank and Librarian selection options allow presets to be easily moved/manipulated.

Genetics Function:
• Offers four ways of generating a new bank of presets from two "parent" presets selected from any bank:
o Mix - randomly mix parent parameters
o Morph - blend from one preset to the next
o Mutate - randomly mix from range between parent parameters
o Random - random preset generation
• Different preset parameters can be excluded, for more predictable results
• Auto Audition feature allows instant audition of selected "Offspring" presets
• Single Parameter Adjustment feature allows one preset parameter to be changed for an entire bank of
presets

NanoM Wizard:
• A morphing tool for selected parameter groups (LFO, Mod Busses, Oscillators, Mixer, Filters, Envelopes
• A set of "Morpher" controls permits morphing from one preset into another

Emil

Post by Emil » Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:02 am

I meant solely to keep updates current and use editors when possible. This is the first editor for hardware I've tried that works on an imac. The list above is a good reminder of the many choice features.

Kein mench mus mussen. (no man has to must). I used the editor once to store favorites among random combination, siblings, to sysexe library, prior to having heard the 976 already setup in the voyager.

There are as many voices (presets to belabor the term), as time to sort them all. A likely course for me is to store instances of modulation across the board. That is, I believe sources of mods often set to vibrato or empty, can be assigned to blocks of presets.

I'm hoping the librarian will also be help, for changing needs, to rearrange presets with less doubt and little fanfare then trying to do so without.

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:29 am

A big plus that nobody mentioned is the ability to see and modify all Voyager parameters with the Editor. Not just the panel knobs & switches, but the menu-based parameters, too (number of filter poles, pot mapping assignments, Touch Surface programming, etc.). This is where the Editor really shines, IMO, as you can see everything at a glance.

Also worth mentioning is the Editor's Program Genetics feature, which doesn't seem to get much attention. This cool little feature is used to generate new presets based on the choice of two 'parent' patches, and can lead to some exciting and unusual results. It's a great patch 'idea generator' and well worth spending some time exploring.

:D

mrhuge

Post by mrhuge » Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:26 pm

I buy it for sure! I can live without it but it makes life with Voyager simplier and more excitong :)