Minimoog OS CV tracking problem

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
gregor z

Minimoog OS CV tracking problem

Post by gregor z » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:33 am

Hi everyone!

My first post.....thanks for all the help in advance.....

I just received my new Minimoog OS which is working perfectly soundwise, but it is not tracking the pitch from external CV correctly.

It becomes detuned for a complete note in two octaves range and the notes are quite off (checked with a tuner) , so is actually unusable.

It is tracking pitch perfectly without any CV connected, but when I plug in a jack - in pitch cv input, - detuning starts to happen.

The minimoog keyboard is somehow still active in external mode and it is transposing the notes if I press any key.

I tried with all three midi to cv convertors I have (kenton pro 2000, mobius, doepfer mcv1), and the problem is always the same.

There is no description of external control with Midi to cv box in manual...?

And there is no description of Minimoog OS CV/Gate input standard.

Does anyone know the possible solution (meaning that I am doing something wrong) or I have a faulty unit?

Is there any internal calibration for this....or I should return the unit....?

Thanks in advance,

Gregor

EricK

Post by EricK » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:25 pm

Were talking about the MiniMoog Old School right?

Now it could very well be that whatever device you are using isn't set for 1 Volt per Octave?

WHat device are you using to generate CVs?
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

till

Post by till » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:35 pm

Most, if not all, midi to CV interfaces require to adjust them to track right. Please remember, that 1,000 V/oct will give other pitches then 1,001 V/oct. And neither the output of the interface, nor the input will act perfectly to 1,000 V/oct.
So check the interface manual.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

gregor z

Post by gregor z » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:56 pm

Thanks for the replies....I will try to troubleshot a little bit more....

Any other settings on the Minimoog that I should be aware of....?

Gregor
till wrote:Most, if not all, midi to CV interfaces require to adjust them to track right. Please remember, that 1,000 V/oct will give other pitches then 1,001 V/oct. And neither the output of the interface, nor the input will act perfectly to 1,000 V/oct.
So check the interface manual.
O.k., will do that..it is funny that I did not have any problems with SPV 355 and SH 101
EricK wrote:Were talking about the MiniMoog Old School right?

Now it could very well be that whatever device you are using isn't set for 1 Volt per Octave?

WHat device are you using to generate CVs?
Minimoog Old School

Kenton Pro 2000, Future retro Mobius, Doepfer MCV 1

Set to 1V/oct , Gate trigger +5 V

gregor z

Post by gregor z » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:36 pm

CV scale adjustment on Pro 2000 did the trick......but it is still strange that the other synths tracked much better......

Anyway the sound is GREAT!!!

Thanks for your replies,

Gregor

EricK

Post by EricK » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:14 am

GLad yhou got that taken care of. It sounded like you were going to abandon the OS there for a minute!

Eric

bunnyman

Post by bunnyman » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:02 am

I really wish that there were some way to disconnect the keyboard voltage while using external CV (this is the same problem on my Signature Voyager). It would be hella fun to be able to do quarter tone pitches (IE: KBD CV out to attenuator set to 50% back in). I can do this to control external oscillator modules, but not the internal, darn it... :(

-andrew bunny

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:10 pm

Couldn't you turn the MIDI local control off? For the regular Voyager, I mean.

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:18 am

You know I have the same issues with the Micro. If im using, say the Moog drum to control the VCO then it definately remembers the last key depressed when it triggers. I vaguely remember something about this in the micromoog manual.

Ill give it a look over and get back with you on this.

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:27 am

bunnyman wrote:I really wish that there were some way to disconnect the keyboard voltage while using external CV (this is the same problem on my Signature Voyager).

There is. The 'trick' is to invert the keyboard voltage and feed it back to the Voyager. There are two ways you could do this: using an inverting attenuator, or using the CP-251 Mixer "-" output. Of course, doing this only zeros out the keyboard voltage, and drones aren't really what you are trying to accomplish.

To create quarter-tones you would need to zero out the keyboard voltage and then add about 50% back in. A combination of attenuator and mixer is needed to do this, and that sounds like a job for the CP-251. The cable routing for this is pretty much what you'd expect here, and the Mixer OFFSET control can be used as a Master Tuning knob once you get the patch set up.

Hope this helps.

- Greg

bunnyman

Post by bunnyman » Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:09 am

Greg: Thanks! Now I just need to get a CP-251... One day... :wink:

-andrew bunny