Touch Pad no Longer Working in Local Off mode

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
Mr. Incredible

Touch Pad no Longer Working in Local Off mode

Post by Mr. Incredible » Thu May 10, 2007 2:26 am

The title pretty much says it all - after the software update the touch pad no longer works when the Voyager is set to local off. Everything else works just fine - the keyboard, the wheels and all the knobs are working fine.
I use a patchbay for my routings so at first I suspected that the touch pad data got caught in some kind of MIDI filter. But even if I run a simple MIDI cable from the Voyager's MIDI out to its IN, I get the same result.

Anyone else can reproduce this? Maybe I just missed a setting somewhere so I'd appreciate any help on this.

Oh and Rudy, I have a request for the next software update:
Please include independent MIDI local control for the keyboard and for the panel controls!
Global local control is probably fine in most cases for studio work, but in a live situation when you want to play the Voyager from an external keyboard but still want to tweak the sound it's no longer possible this way, I'm afraid :(

Dom

Amos

Post by Amos » Thu May 10, 2007 11:19 am

The touch pad does not send MIDI by default, I don't think... I thought you always had to go in and edit your patch to assign specific MIDI CC numbers to the different touch pad axes, if you wanted it to send MIDI. This setting is saved per patch, so after you make these changes you need to re-save the patch for the changes to persist. Is this different now than it used to be?

till

Re: Touch Pad no Longer Working in Local Off mode

Post by till » Thu May 10, 2007 11:43 am

Mr. Incredible wrote:...
Global local control is probably fine in most cases for studio work, but in a live situation when you want to play the Voyager from an external keyboard but still want to tweak the sound it's no longer possible this way, I'm afraid
Why use local off at all in this set up?
Just use local on and don't play the keyboard should do it well.
The Voyager does play incoming MIDI notes no matter if it is set to local off or on.
Maybe you would like to use the keyboard of the Voyager for something differend then its own sound generation and play the Voyager over Midi. But who else use the Voyager this way.
Or am I getting you wrong somewhere?
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

Mr. Incredible

Post by Mr. Incredible » Sat May 12, 2007 5:54 am

Hi Amos and till
Amos wrote:The touch pad does not send MIDI by default, I don't think... I thought you always had to go in and edit your patch to assign specific MIDI CC numbers to the different touch pad axes, if you wanted it to send MIDI. This setting is saved per patch, so after you make these changes you need to re-save the patch for the changes to persist. Is this different now than it used to be?
Well, yes it is different now in the way that the panel controls are also disconnected from the Voyager when set to local off. And since as of your statement the touch pad doesn'd send MIDI by default, the Voyager no longer responds to incoming touch pad MIDI data when connected to itself via the MIDI patch bay. And I can't use it in local on mode.

But let me explain a bit:

I use a live setup with four keyboards, one of which is the Voyager. I also have a couple of expander modules. All of these are connected to the MIDI patch bay and all of the keyboards are in local off mode. This way I can route all of the instruments independently - routing, merging, layering, splitting - you name it. And this may change for every song in the set, so it's not a static connection.
For example - in one song, the voyager's keyboard will be routed to an expander module and the voyager will be played from another keyboard. In the next song, the Voyager will be connected to itself plus a layer of strings from a different instrument and so on.
So this is why local control is very important for my setup.

I hope I did make some sense in this explanation :)

RL

Post by RL » Tue May 15, 2007 11:41 am

Please include independent MIDI local control for the keyboard and for the panel controls!
Hi Dom,
please send me an email to get your email address. I will send you a beta version of the individual settings for the local controls.
Have fun,
Rudi

Mr. Incredible

Post by Mr. Incredible » Wed May 16, 2007 2:29 am

Done. Thanks, Rudi!

taschenmusikant

Post by taschenmusikant » Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:02 am

RL wrote:
Hi Dom,
please send me an email to get your email address. I will send you a beta version of the individual settings for the local controls.
Have fun,
Rudi
Hi Rudi,
I have the same problem.
When using the Voyager in Local Off Mode, Touch Pad tweaking gets the Atari Sequenzer breakdown. I´d like to use the Keyboard local off and the Touch Pad local on so that the touch pad doesn´t send Midi data to the sequenzer and the keyboard is still useable as a Masterkeyboard.
Piano & Sound Engines

RL

Post by RL » Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:08 am

Hallo Taschenmusikant,
bitte schick mir eine Email.
Gruss,
Rudi