Procedure for Mod Wheel Modulation Bus on Voyager RME?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
breittboy

Procedure for Mod Wheel Modulation Bus on Voyager RME?

Post by breittboy » Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:25 am

I have the Voyager RME. When I tweak the knobs for Source, Shaping and Destination on the Pedal bus, I hear the sound differences distictly, but when I do the same on the Mod Wheel bus, I don't hear any difference at all. I can't seem to discern from the manual if there's an Edit parameter I'm supposed to enable or change, or if I'm doing something else wrong. I'm using the Rack Mount Edition with a sequencer; no keyboard is involved. Am I correct in assuming that I can change the sound just using the Mod Wheel Source, Destination and Shaping knobs with no keyboard/mod wheel attached via midi or otherwise?

soundsubs

Post by soundsubs » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:46 pm

man, you beat me to it. i was just going to post about this.
I think the answer is that its useless without a MWheel.

Personally, Im going to put a suggestion in for a software update to reconcile this. When Im playing around in DRONE mode, the way it is now, the MW Mod section of the RME is totally useless.

Can someone set me straight and prove me wrong?

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:50 pm

I don't own an RME, but I guess if you don't specify any modulation value (I forget the controller number, but probably CC#1), then the mod buss won't work. It's the same on the keyboard version; no modulation is heard if the mod wheel is all the way down. Try sending CC#1 value 128 to the RME, that will set the mod wheel to max, and then use the mod buss modulation amount to control your, uh, modulation, I guess!

till

Post by till » Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:03 pm

If the RME should miss a function to generate modwheel data, why not add it via a manual "MW data" menu in the master menu?

-> Rudi ...

And it should be turned off automatically when the RME receives mod wheel data at the midi in. But it should return to the auto generated mod wheel value data once it is turned on and the "MW data" is still turned ON in the menu.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

soundsubs

Post by soundsubs » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:47 am

I guess my/our point is that in stand alone (or drone) mode, that MW buss is totally useless.

RL

Post by RL » Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:45 pm

I guess my/our point is that in stand alone (or drone) mode, that MW buss is totally useless.
No, you can use any pot and route that by pot mapping to the mod wheel.
Cheers,
Rudi

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:19 pm

Yeah, howabout headphone volume?

soundsubs

Post by soundsubs » Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:49 pm

ah yes, thank you sir!
exactly what i needed to know.

for future reference, go into the EDIT page, scroll to POT MAPPING and turn
SRC = headphones
Dest = Mod Wheel

and this does it! now the headphone knob is the mwheel and mod buss one is usable!

thank you and thank moog

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:03 pm

Or, why not map Mod Buss Amount to Mod Wheel? :)

breittboy

Post by breittboy » Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:16 pm

soundsubs wrote:for future reference, go into the EDIT page, scroll to POT MAPPING and turn
SRC = headphones
Dest = Mod Wheel

and this does it! now the headphone knob is the mwheel and mod buss one is usable!
Thanks for putting it succinctly. I appreciate it. One other question: Does this POT MAPPING procedure have to be applied every time a new preset is selected, or is there a way to set the headphone volume to be the default mod wheel source?

RL

Post by RL » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:43 am

You have to store it for each preset. I know it's not comfortable, I think I can make a globel setting for that in the next update.
Cheers,
Rudi

breittboy

Post by breittboy » Tue May 01, 2007 12:28 am

RL wrote:You have to store it for each preset. I know it's not comfortable, I think I can make a globel setting for that in the next update.
Cheers,
Rudi
Thank you!