FX Pedals

Everything Phatty.
stakkt

FX Pedals

Post by stakkt » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:11 pm

Curious to know if anyone else uses guitar fx pedals (mooger or other) in conjunction with their analogue synths.
DAS.

stimbox

Post by stimbox » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:37 pm

yes. :)
[url=http://stimbox.harshnoise.com]stimbox[/url]
[url=http://www.harshnoise.com]Harsh Noise[/url]
[url=http://www.noisemp3.com]NoiseMp3.com[/url]
[url=http://www.harshnoise.com/board/index.php]Harshnoise BBS[/url]

OysterRock

Post by OysterRock » Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:09 pm

I do, but I don't recommend it.

c7sus

Post by c7sus » Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:17 am

You bet. The more the merrier.

Lately I've been running my Voyager through a KLON Centaur > GT Brick pre > heavily modded Keyboard Specialties Leslie 122. It's mono but damned if it doesn't sound like the biggest baddest thing ever. NOTHING sounds like a Leslie!

I've also run the Voyager through a Mayer Voodoo Vibe, Mutron Octive Divider, and MF's 102 and 104 SD. Although not all at the same time!

JSRockit

Post by JSRockit » Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:48 am

c7sus wrote:You bet. The more the merrier.

Lately I've been running my Voyager through a KLON Centaur > GT Brick pre > heavily modded Keyboard Specialties Leslie 122. It's mono but
Why the brick pre?

c7sus

Post by c7sus » Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:24 am

JSRockit wrote:
c7sus wrote:You bet. The more the merrier.

Lately I've been running my Voyager through a KLON Centaur > GT Brick pre > heavily modded Keyboard Specialties Leslie 122. It's mono but
Why the brick pre?
For a little more "UUUUUUUMPH". 8)

The Leslie I have is a cut-down 122, designed for use by guitarists, and the amp in it has been modded to allow for different switching capabilities between a guitar amp and the Leslie. I haven't got a schematic for the amp, but there is a seperate I/O and switching for another amp signal to be controlled by the footswitch. KS made about a dozen of these in the early 90's, with about 6 different amp configs. They want $150 to dig through their archives and compile a manual and schematics for me. One of these days I'll take care of that.

AFAIK the Leslie amp will take just about anything from a guitar-level up to line level. The guy I bought it from claimed he was running A SPEAKER OUT from his guitar amp into the Leslie, but I'm not a brave enough soul to patch that hot of a signal through it.

Paul at KS told me a similar Leslie from his shop today would fetch $4500. I got mine-- in an ATA flight case--- for $1000 off Ebay.

Score!

GregAE

Re: FX Pedals

Post by GregAE » Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:24 am

stakkt wrote:Curious to know if anyone else uses guitar fx pedals (mooger or other) in conjunction with their analogue synths.
Absolutely! Stompboxes provide many new ways to alter, effect and mangle the sound.

A touch of chorus, phasing or flanging can add interest and animation to a basic sound. Overdrive and distortion boxes can impart subtle or dramatic changes to sound (this is what the overload circuit in the LP does). Delays (analog or digital) are great for tempo sync effects. And devices like the Line 6 POD can simulate different amp/cabinet combinations that will further alter the sound.

You can easily spend many happy hours creating sounds with a synth and a few pedals, and the whole process expands exponentially as you explore different presets with the pedals in various configrations.

It all depends on what you want your sound to be.

Greg

Brian G

Post by Brian G » Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:18 pm

Effects can add a lot, you can spend hours exploring new possibilities :).

In my set-up I've been using the Lexicon MX200 to add reverb to several of the synths. Besides using it for reverb I'll occasional use it for delays and chorus. In addition to the MX200 I still use a Boss SE50 Multi Effects Processor, the effects in the Roland VS2480 and the MoogerFoogers.

The MuRF and Bass MuRF are a lot of fun on a synth :),but the others offer a lot of roads to explore too. What's really fun and has many possibilities is to combine several MoogerFoogers together, even with other effects box..

Have fun
Brian

Sigesmund Ninja

Post by Sigesmund Ninja » Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:33 pm

Can you use any "guitar" stompboxes with the phatty? No chanse of driving the input of them to hard? I wanted some delay to hook up with the phatty and I have a Boss DD6. will it work? hmm... how about a wah-wah-pedal ? :lol: or a whammy!!!

OysterRock

Post by OysterRock » Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:37 pm

Sigesmund Ninja wrote:No chanse of driving the input of them to hard?
I guess it depends on the pedal, you may drive it into saturation, but you probably wont hurt any.
Sigesmund Ninja wrote:I wanted some delay to hook up with the phatty and I have a Boss DD6. will it work? hmm... how about a wah-wah-pedal ? :lol: or a whammy!!!
Only one way to find out. :wink:
Be bold. Experiment!

Sigesmund Ninja

Post by Sigesmund Ninja » Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:41 pm

..you're right... I will give it a try when i recieve the synth.. now I've some big plans for the bastard.. running it through a octavia, foxrox flanger! tremolo..

stakkt

Post by stakkt » Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:25 am

I've been using some of my bandmates pedals - Line 6 delay and a Boss overdrive. I've just ordered the Trex Replica. I'm really into delays with the LP.
DAS.

Suburban Bather

Post by Suburban Bather » Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:55 pm

I just want to add one thing. If you already have a DAW program or a just a program to host VST's then don't even waste your time with buying any new DIGITAL stompboxes.

I'm a firm believer in keeping Digital "in the box" and all outboard gear exclusively ANALOG.

There is the exception of Digilogs, like the Dave Smith Evolver line of synths.

Running my bass thru a bleep load of FX pedals and making totally unusable sounds is what got me into electronic music.

So, Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!! Breath new life into your stompboxes. I'm shure many people here have used stompboxes to make CASIO keyboards into something that is actually usefull. :P

Sigesmund Ninja

Post by Sigesmund Ninja » Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:44 am

Funny, same thing with me, I became interested in electronic music and synths the moment I made my Boss DD6 self-oscillate by mistake... hooked up a flanger and whammy after it and started to fiddle all the knobs... got my first synth 2 months after that, a virus TI polar.