Question about little phatty's bootup time

Everything Phatty.
Chumdy

Question about little phatty's bootup time

Post by Chumdy » Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:42 pm

Hello, I recieved my Little Phatty (sn #96) yesterday. After unpacking it and plugging it in, all the lights on the front panel lit up--and just STAYED lit up for a good 2 minutes or so. This concerned me because I have seen the bootup sequence on YouTube and I knew what bootup should look like. Anyway, after 2 minutes the bootup sequence started, the display said "version 1.02" and the mini light show (love it!) happend. I played some sounds and all seemed normal. I rebooted and there was still a slight delay (5 seconds or so) before I could play. I looked at the manual and noted that it said there would be a short delay during bootup.
I thought maybe some internal components (oscillator heat stabilzers?) needed to be "heated up" when the Phatty was "cold" and proceeded to play for a couple of hours.
I LOVE this thing, sounds sooo good.
After I was finished, I left the Phatty on all night to "burn in" any possible LED flickers (even though I didn't see any) and to maybe fix(?) the bootup thing. Upon thinking about it some more I thought that maybe there was a capacitor or internal battery that needed to be charged.
The reason I am posting, though is that this afternoon after leaving the Phatty off for several hours the same thing happend again with bootup--there was a delay of about 2 minutes. My question is, does this happen to anyone else? Is it normal for there to be a delay in bootup when the Phatty is "cold"/off for awhile?
If it is not normal is there a way to fix it??
Moog is closed until Monday. I really hope I do not have to send it back to them!
Thanks

Nick Montoya

Post by Nick Montoya » Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:39 pm

HMmm.

Never heard of that happening before.. You will most likely have to send it back.. Sounds like a defect..

Do you live in a super high elevation (7500 ft or more)..? Just a thought, but maybe thats it... I don't know..

- Nick
http://www.thevoltperoctaves.com

http://www.myspace.com/thevoltperoctaves

http://www.moogmusic.com/artists/?cat_id=28

Chumdy

Post by Chumdy » Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:24 pm

Thanks Nick for the reply,
No, I don't live in a high elevation--I am in Pennsylvania (not in the mountains). This definitely seems to be related to the Phatty somehow being "warmed up" because once it has been on for awile it boots up immediately. I am thinking now that there is a high resistance open somewhere and that heat expands the open enough to "cure" the problem once the Phatty has warmed up.
Sigh, I guess I'll call Moog tomorrow and be ready to be without the Phatty for another couple of weeks... I sure do hate to ship it again, I might TRIPLE box it:)
At least I got to play with it a bit. I still love it to death.

rachel

Post by rachel » Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:33 am

My guess it was tuning itself or some other reset/calibration from being
boxed.

rachel

Chumdy

Post by Chumdy » Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:08 pm

Well, I spoke to Amos and as others have mentioned he was very helpful and great to deal with. The consensus of the engineers at Moog is that there is probably a faulty "reset" switch that is not allowing my Phatty to boot up properly (so you were on to something rachel). Amos said to send the Phatty back and that the engineers are eager to find out what the problem is so they can prevent future occurences. I think it is probably just an isolated bad part that happend to be installed into my Phatty--no big deal. I won't be without the Phatty for long and I am glad the probem will be fixed.

Chumdy

Post by Chumdy » Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:45 pm

I got my Phatty back today and all is well. Apparently, the Phatty had a bad reset crystal that needed to be replaced. So, it was just an isolated incident of a bad component. Everything works great now! Moog even replaced the headphone jack with a newer, in-spec version and they installed the latest OS.