LP and Pro Tools

Everything Phatty.
bigboi78

LP and Pro Tools

Post by bigboi78 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:49 pm

Just received mine! I am a brand new Moog user and will be using the LP solely for recording. I have it running directly through my DIGI 002 pro tools system. Wondering if that is sufficient or if i am missing something by not running it through some sort of amp and then into the 002? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
www.animalthug.com
www.myspace.com/planbmusic1
www.myspace.com/jensen40love

OysterRock

Post by OysterRock » Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:59 pm

Synths are best recorded directly.

soundengine

Re: LP and Pro Tools

Post by soundengine » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:21 pm

bigboi78 wrote:Just received mine! I am a brand new Moog user and will be using the LP solely for recording. I have it running directly through my DIGI 002 pro tools system. Wondering if that is sufficient or if i am missing something by not running it through some sort of amp and then into the 002? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
I agree, record it direct.

You got a good setup there, let me know how it works out(im using a 001 and an Mbox2, and am awaiting the arrival of my first Moog, the LP, as well.)

Cheers,
=-Ben

bigboi78

Post by bigboi78 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:38 pm

thanks for replying so quickly! can't wait to get recording
www.animalthug.com

Brian G

Post by Brian G » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:13 pm

I also record my synths direct ( Roland VS2480), but there would be nothing wrong with sending them to an amp and sticking a mic in front of it :). Depends on what sound you're after.

Enjoy
Brian

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:38 am

BrianG is correct - it depends on what kind of sound you're after. I'd suggest trying anythng and everything to get an idea of what the LP sounds like under a variety of conditions. While recording direct will capture the most accurate sound, you may prefer a more colored sound (which can often work better on a track).

To get an idea of what an amp might do to the sound, try a software amp simulator like IK's Amplitube, or use a hardware device like a POD or stompbox. Or use a real amp/mic combo (more work to set up, but remember that thousands of hit records were recorded this way).

- Greg

northern hope

Post by northern hope » Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:24 am

Regardless of the sound you're trying to achieve, it's always best to try and run your Moog through a mic-pre on it's way to your Digi 002. There are a lot of different options out there in an affordable range, but something with tubes will help sustain the warmth of your LP as it gets recorded on to a digital format.

OysterRock

Post by OysterRock » Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:42 am

I'll revise my statement. Synths are best recorded directly unless you're looking to color the sound. I run my Voyager through a Twin Reverb sometimes to dirty it up and add some nice spring reverb. Though I'm always afraid the Twin is going to explode...

Recording through an Avalon U5 DI-preamp does noticably fatten up a synth, too. But it is really not required IMHO (especially for a Moog).

bigboi78

Post by bigboi78 » Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:20 pm

nothern hope...any suggestions for an effective, affordable pre amp. thanks!
www.animalthug.com

bigboi78

Post by bigboi78 » Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:34 pm

i have an old Tube MP ($99) preamp that i used with condenser mic...would that be worth running the LP through?
www.animalthug.com

Brian G

Post by Brian G » Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:59 pm

Be careful of the levels going into a mic pre, the LP output is line level and the mic pre is looking or mic level.... you could get some really nice distortion :). The Mic pre may or may not have mic line switching, it may or may not have a input level pad on it. You could also use a tube based direct box. Any of the ways will work, part of the fun is trying different things to see what works best for you and for the project you're working on.

Enjoy
Brian