Mint MultiMoog w/extra for Sale or Trade/ Wanted: MiniMoog D

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
industrial_gypsy

Post by industrial_gypsy » Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:14 pm

I know this is even further off topic but I couldn't resist letting you lot see this ad for a Rogue which has just appeared over here in the UK:

http://www.gumtree.com/london/88/5888088.html

Bargain!

OysterRock

Post by OysterRock » Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:22 pm

"I bought it off a friend last year for £950..."

Ha! Doesn't sound like a very good friend to me!
Friends don't let friend spend £950 on Rogues.

museslave

Post by museslave » Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:53 pm

Okay, everyone... I bid on one of the Rogues available on eBay, and I bid quite a high price! More than I personally think it's worth! There! Are you happy?
Hee, I didn't get it, though. Someone thinks it's worth more than the price that I bid.

Will SOMEONE PLEASE SELL ME THEIR MG-1???
www.youtube.com/user/automaticgainsay
www.myspace.com/automaticgainsay2
www.myspace.com/godfreyscordialmusic

eric coleridge

Post by eric coleridge » Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:46 am

analogbass wrote: As far as the guy Eric: the obsession with features is akin to those long dissertations on recording techniques, that no one else cared about...
The only obsession on these forums that seems to recently stand out to me is your obsession with being a jerk to anyone who has different opinions than you. The funny thing is, all of your opinions seem to be near direct quotes from vintagesynth.com and the like... which indicates to me that you probably don't have any actual experience with the topics your talking about.. and you simply want to spout off uncharitably about your second hand knowledge of these instruments. If anyone wants to read what you have to say about these synths, we might as well go directly to your source and cut out the middle man.
analogbass wrote: before making any more emotional comments understand that repeated comments about needing glasses is unfriendly, especially since my assessment was accurate-I owned and know what a mint Multi looks like.
It appears to me that the only writer getting emotional is analogbass when anyone questions what you've learned from your internet research. No one's assesments are "accurate", unless your testing our reading retension of the descriptions you've memorized. These are all just opinions of different users and should all be taken with a grain of salt (my comments included).
analogbass wrote: As far as features, that is a concern/obsession only to a certain segment
Who made you the arbiter of what is important? Many people are looking for a combination of sound and features... and all I've tried to do is weigh both equally...
analogbass wrote: Disappointing that you keep overlooking that in lieu of a focus primarily on features or name cachet bias. Glad i could help clarify that there are other criteria than those you've arbitrarily informed us are important. :wink:
Spoken by someone who is not reading carefully. I don't remember anyone here writing about name cachet besides you...

But as long as your on the subject, I don't know if any synth is bought in the name of "name cachet" more than a Rogue or Prodigy. Again, I will have to repeat for you that I like both of these synths very much for what they are, but if truth be told, much of their desireability and value comes from the Moog logo printed on their chasis.

But, finally, analogbass, please try taking your insultory rhetoric down a level. This is a free and friendly forum (I hope) where people who love Moog synths can discuss, promote, and disagree on various issues around Moog synthesizers. There is no room for personal attacks or mean-spirited diatribes. Which is why, up until now, I have tried to jokingly dismiss your rude and unsolicited comments.

You love your Prodigy, fine. It's a great little synth, I don't disagree. But that's no reason to dispairage my MultiMoog. If you want to objectively compare and contrast their various features, I'm all for it. But to propose that your experiences are empirically more valid than mine is just logical folly. To back up these claims with personal attacks is absurd, and out of line. [/img][/i]

analogbass

Post by analogbass » Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:29 pm

Eric should start by taking his own advice, accept that he's extremely opinionated, biased, long-winded and occasionally rude before claiming same about others. :lol:

Still not getting it man-I'm not the arbiter of what's important,you are in fact implying that yourself by suggesting that features are the most important. What i corrected you on is this false assumption .

The best value for someone looking for a Mini sound would be either a new Voyager RME or this, as it is midied, has options, etc. Some purists might complain but as i have a Mini and one of these, I can say they're both good:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Midi-Mini-Moog-by-S ... dZViewItem

As far as the Prodigy, the difference my man is that i've owned and have compared them head to head. It would be smarter to actually absorb what others with more experience have to say than to decide that you know better. Now that's arrogance! :wink:

Took a good look at that Multi: it's in good shape nothing more, thus the frequent price drops. Not mint, not near-mint.

museslave

Post by museslave » Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:22 pm

analogbass wrote:As far as the Prodigy, the difference my man is that i've owned and have compared them head to head. It would be smarter to actually absorb what others with more experience have to say than to decide that you know better. Now that's arrogance! :wink:
I make it a point of absorbing the thoughts of those with more experience, where applicable.
As for whether you believe the Prodigy or Rogue to have a superior sound to the Micro or Multi, that is your right. It has nothing to do with wisdom. It has to do with your taste. This is why I argue from the standpoint of features. Features are objective, taste is subjective. I can't tell you whether or not you'll dig the Micromoog tone, but I can tell you it has more functionality than the Rogue.
You can't argue taste... you can only state your claim. You CAN argue features.
Every Moog I have heard (even the execrable Opus 3) has a characteristic of breadth and warmth to its sound. The only not-particularly-fat Moog I have heard is the Sonic Six, and even so, it has a great sound. The Rogue, et al, are not the bar upon which Moog fatness is judged. It's the Mini. While I can plainly notice the difference in tone between my Micro and my Mini, I would never ever go so far as to describe the Micro as being "thin," "not Moog sounding" etc, which are the things I argue with most vehemently when I am defending the viability of the Micro in comparison to the later, cheaper, barely-two oscillator synths that are held to be so valuable.

Don't give me the "I'm your elder" BS. I think I have owned, used, and recorded enough analog synthesizers, including Moogs, not to get the ol' grandfatherly routine. You're not that old, pal.
All of that being said, I've heard, but never owned or used a Prodigy or Rogue. I suppose when I do, you'll submit to my opinion then? Yeah, not likely.
analogbass wrote:Took a good look at that Multi: it's in good shape nothing more, thus the frequent price drops. Not mint, not near-mint.
Wait, is it SOUND or is it MINT CONDITION that defines the value of a synth?

It is sound, yes. And features, yes, and condition. All of those things are important in the assessment of value of a synth. It's not just one, or the other, or whichever suits your argument at the time.

As for your campaign to impugne all Multimoogs and Eric's in particular... I wish you the very best of luck with that. It with all of it's "name cache." :wink:
www.youtube.com/user/automaticgainsay
www.myspace.com/automaticgainsay2
www.myspace.com/godfreyscordialmusic

eric coleridge

Post by eric coleridge » Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:48 pm

analogbass wrote:Eric should start by taking his own advice, accept that he's extremely opinionated, biased, long-winded and occasionally rude before claiming same about others. :lol:
I am very opinionated, as are many writers on this forum. That's one thing that makes this forum fun and interesting, sharing and debateing different opinions of these instruments that we all play and love.

But, generally, everyone is respectful of others who may not share one's own exact opinions

So, in this spirit, I apologize for my overly harsh comments above. It was rude of me and probably unneccsary. I also apologize to anyone who may be reading for this public bickering that I've entered into with Analogbass.
analogbass wrote: Still not getting it man-I'm not the arbiter of what's important,you are in fact implying that yourself by suggesting that features are the most important. What i corrected you on is this false assumption.
I never claimed that features are more important then sound.

I would appreciate if you would refrain from telling me what I think, OK?
It's also unnecessary for you to condescendingly "correct" me on matters that are subjective and ultimately one's personnal opinions.
analogbass wrote: As far as the Prodigy, the difference my man is that i've owned and have compared them head to head. It would be smarter to actually absorb what others with more experience have to say than to decide that you know better. Now that's arrogance! :wink:
We all have different levels of experience with the instruments we all love, and these experiences inform each of our individual opinions.

But arrogance is when one person claims his opinions are somehow more empirically right or valid than someone else's, just because you say they are.

Call me crazy, but I find that it's much more valuable reading an opinion that is backed up with some argument or reason for that opinion. I guess this is a "long-winded" way to arrive at the point I might be trying to make. But I just write in a way that I hope will make some sence to those reading my opinions.
analogbass wrote: Took a good look at that Multi: it's in good shape nothing more, thus the frequent price drops. Not mint, not near-mint.
Duly noted. You've only repeated it about five times now. Why is it you're so intent on pestering me with your opinion? I still don't know.

It seemed to me the only people who should care if the Multi was or wasn't mint, near-mint, or whatever, would be the buyer (me) and the seller.

Thankfully, you can now end your morbid obsession with the condition of my former Multi, because, you'll be happy to know that I sold the Multi for the price I originally wanted. I figured if I started at $1600, I'd get at least $1200 or $1300 for it. I got $1300. Which is a couple hundred more than any other Multi I've ever seen sold on e-bay. I personnaly think it's worth even more, considering Sources and Prodigys sell for $1000 sometimes.

Apparently, my buyer didn't agree with your repeated assesment-- or the five people who e-mailed me claiming they were just about to but it when I ended the auction early.
Indeed, I feel like I could have gotten as much as $1800 if I wasn't in such a hurry to sell it.
Sadly, I'm not likely to find another Multi as nice as that one if I ever decide to buy one again. Which one day I hope to do.
But least now I'm close to buying a Mini.

Thank you for helping me to keep the Multi posting at the top of this forum, it may have helped.