Next OS Update?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
earsmack

Next OS Update?

Post by earsmack » Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:45 pm

I'm very happy with my new Voyager PE but have noticed a few things that I would love to see in the next OS update. Does anyone have any inside scoop on when we might 3.3 (or 3.5 or 4.0?) and what features might be in store?

Since you asked ;-) One would be to have the Voyager include an option to have the knobs work in the way that the Virus or Nord Lead 3 does...that is...when I turn a knob, instead of JUMPing the value to the knob location instead wait for me to pass the current value of the parameter before actually changing it in the program. This goes a long way to helping tweak knobs during live performance and provide for as a few glitches as possible. Yea, assigning to the mod wheel and other controllers can circumvent this need but sometimes you just need to twist a knob without the pre-planning.
:)

GregAE

Re: Next OS Update?

Post by GregAE » Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:48 pm

zbq wrote:I'm very happy with my new Voyager PE but have noticed a few things that I would love to see in the next OS update. Does anyone have any inside scoop on when we might 3.3 (or 3.5 or 4.0?) and what features might be in store?

Since you asked ;-) One would be to have the Voyager include an option to have the knobs work in the way that the Virus or Nord Lead 3 does...that is...when I turn a knob, instead of JUMPing the value to the knob location instead wait for me to pass the current value of the parameter before actually changing it in the program. This goes a long way to helping tweak knobs during live performance and provide for as a few glitches as possible. Yea, assigning to the mod wheel and other controllers can circumvent this need but sometimes you just need to twist a knob without the pre-planning.
:)
A number of folks have asked for this in the past. Moog implemented this feature in the new LP - it's called 'Pass-Thru' mode - one of the three ways the analog edit controls can be configured.

From the LP User's Manual:
"In SNAP mode, the parameter will ‘snap’ instantaneously to the current potentiometer setting. In PASS-THRU mode, the parameter value stays constant until the potentiometer passes through the current value. In TRACK mode, the parameter value moves in the same direction as the knob is rotated (left or right) until the value and knob position are identical."

Would be nice to have this option on the Voyager.

Greg

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:42 pm

I would like to have the next OS to be able to modulate the individual wave forms for each oscillator by the Mod wheel or pedal panels.
Mark Mahoney
http://www.reverbnation.com/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney

earsmack

Post by earsmack » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:42 pm

Right Greg, I noticed that as well - being implemented in the LP. Now obviously the LP is not the Voyager but I'm guessing it can be done. I'm also glad that this type of feature is on Moog's radar screen as being useful (and welcome!)

thebedroom

Post by thebedroom » Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:25 pm

Funny, I started the last thread on this and I just emailed Amos at Moog this weekend about this feature which will make it a much better liver performace instrument. He said there is still room in the OS memory to add features and he agrees that this would be a good addition. From past experience, Amos gets things like this pushed through for us Voyager users, so keep you fingers crossed. With them just releasing the LP I am sure it will be a few months or more but it is definitely a possibility. RL who writes the software is aware of it too from the last time I posted on the forum about this.

Mark

earsmack

Post by earsmack » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:01 pm

Good deal, Mark.

Well here is to Amos and RL...hope they are listening.

By "room" does he mean there is available memory in ROM that is currently unused or does he mean "room" in more esoteric sense like "there is room for improvement" ???

thebedroom

Post by thebedroom » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:41 pm

Room in the ROM, but nothing is ever perfect anyways so there is always room

That is the thing about Moog, they are a good company with good people that actually care about their customers. Amos uses these synths outside the 'shop' as an owner and performer from what I have gleaned on other forums. So he really cares about any improvements that can be done to thee machine. People can say what they want about Moog prices, but I feel as if the premium price I have paid for this synth has come back to me twice over because of the people at Moog (or associated with) like RL and Amos.

Mark

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:27 am

I totally agree. It's rare for a company to have such customer support.
Mark Mahoney
http://www.reverbnation.com/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney

suthnear

Post by suthnear » Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:06 am

Here's another vote for the ability to modulate the oscillator waveshapes individually...

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:46 am

zbq wrote:Right Greg, I noticed that as well - being implemented in the LP. Now obviously the LP is not the Voyager but I'm guessing it can be done. I'm also glad that this type of feature is on Moog's radar screen as being useful (and welcome!)
The electronics behind the Voyager interface are different from the LP, so I don't know how easily this might be implemented on the Voyager (if at all). Rudi Linhard programmed the Voyager's OS code and he scans these forums pretty regularly, so perhaps he can tell us.

Rudi?

Greg

RL

Post by RL » Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:07 pm

Hi Greg and Moog friends,
the 'Pass-Thru' mode is on my job list :)
The most important thing for me is the performance and as you know even with all these new functions the performance of software version 3.2 is better compared to version 1.0.
...what I want to say is...
Have fun (and a little patience),
Rudi

earsmack

Post by earsmack » Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:39 pm

RL wrote:Hi Greg and Moog friends,
the 'Pass-Thru' mode is on my job list :)
The most important thing for me is the performance and as you know even with all these new functions the performance of software version 3.2 is better compared to version 1.0.
...what I want to say is...
Have fun (and a little patience),
Rudi
This is such a great thing to hear...and I completely understand the need (and want) to optimize the crap out of the code. Excellent work!

Maybe another thread...but I would be (and I'm sure others as well) interested in hearing about your development environment - what do you write your code in? What's the type->compile->test cycle like? Tell us a bit about how the software works for this awesome hardware.

Thanks Rudi...

thebedroom

Post by thebedroom » Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:09 pm

Yeah, thanks Rudi. None of us expect it overnight. We are glad to have you around making this synth better and better all the time. I am very happy to hear that this is in the future though. Thanks again.

Mark