Is anyone using the new Intel iMacs for music making?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
IanEye

Is anyone using the new Intel iMacs for music making?

Post by IanEye » Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:52 am

Hello, I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the new Intel chip using iMacs in conjunction with a Voyager. I just bought the iMac and plan on using Logic for recording/sequencing and want to buy a Voyager as well. It seems like a good combo of analog/digital. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Ian

c. hoefler

Post by c. hoefler » Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:32 pm

It should work without a hitch. Although my PowerMac is ancient by today's standards (it's 3 years old) and doesn't have Intel chips, I use Logic Pro and it gets along with my Voyager swimmingly. Other DAWs should work just as well too.
http://www.chadhoeflermusic.com/

Lengai

Post by Lengai » Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:23 pm

I have a G4 from 2001. The new dual core Macs are very sweet. I've played around on them at the Apple Store. With Boot Camp being released yesterday, thre is no reason for anyone getting a a PC when buying a new computer because even the Mac Mini is a very serious computer now. They're definitely the way to go seeing how you can run OS X and Windows XP off the same computer and the "PC's are faster" argument is now a moot point.

museslave

Post by museslave » Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:07 pm

Apple did not get involved with Intel because PCs were faster. Top-end Mac processors have always been faster than PCs. I was horrified to read newspaper articles making vague statements that seemed to inaccurately suggest that Apple's processors have been historically too slow. Statements like "Apple worked out a deal with Intel so that their processors could be faster." Extremely misleading. The myth that Intel chips used to be faster than PowerPC chips was wholly born of the fact that they used a different clock rate measurement.
www.youtube.com/user/automaticgainsay
www.myspace.com/automaticgainsay2
www.myspace.com/godfreyscordialmusic

OysterRock

Post by OysterRock » Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:18 pm

Lengai wrote: They're definitely the way to go seeing how you can run OS X and Windows XP off the same computer and the "PC's are faster" argument is now a moot point.
I can't wait to get a new Mac that can run both OS X and Windows. Don't get me wrong, I LOATHE Windows, but must use it out of necessity as many on the engineering programs I need are not available on OS X. Virtual PC doesn't cut it, either.

drawtippy

Post by drawtippy » Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:36 pm

I'm thinking about the iMac as well. Although I know as soon as I buy it they will release the intel duo tower that will blow everything away. I do have a question though. I like using 2 monitors with Logic, do iMacs support this. I know it's got mini DV out but I'm talking about the monitor set up in system prefs.

Like I know my Powerbook supports the bigger work space set up but the iBook only mirrorsthe other monitor. If you know this answer I'd appreciate it.
Thanks.

sundaeclubber

Post by sundaeclubber » Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:12 am

museslave wrote:Apple did not get involved with Intel because PCs were faster. Top-end Mac processors have always been faster than PCs. I was horrified to read newspaper articles making vague statements that seemed to inaccurately suggest that Apple's processors have been historically too slow. Statements like "Apple worked out a deal with Intel so that their processors could be faster." Extremely misleading. The myth that Intel chips used to be faster than PowerPC chips was wholly born of the fact that they used a different clock rate measurement.
"Wise Words, Mate!"
Sundae Club* http://www.s-club.co.uk
Moog-Filled Album "TECHNOSTALGIA"
from
http://www.cdbaby.com/sundaeclub
and in your local iTunes store

http://www.myspace.com/sundaeclub