Sub 37 and Logic

Everything Sub.
eldiablosub

Sub 37 and Logic

Post by eldiablosub » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:35 pm

Hello everyone i am new to this forum and synthesis in general. i am trying to record my sub 37 into logic but i am encountering some problems i hope somebody can help with. When i play my sub through my speakers and audio interface it works fine. When i set it up for logic it just creates a buzzing noise and lights flicker and the midi button lights up red sometimes the KBoctave lights flash. In logic the lcd screen at the top which displays what note and chord is being plays flickers randomly a bunch of notes and chords even when I'm not playing. Does anybody know how to resolve this? iv tried the midi menus on the sub 37 and in logic but nothing seems to work. Ive googled the problem and can't find anything like this. Ive tried different USB leads connecting the sub to my computer as well to see if that was the problem and also a different audio interface. I hope the problem is something obvious and down to me being a noob but if anyone could help that would be great.

Sofasizer

Re: Sub 37 and Logic

Post by Sofasizer » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:04 pm

Hi,

i have a few ideas what could be wrong..

First off i dont know how you integrate sub 37 into your logic, but if you use it with an external midi ultillity instrument theres a chance that when you press a note on sub 37 beside sending midi and audio to logic, logic also sends back a midi signal triggering your sub 37 all over.. this can be pretty messed up and notes can get stuck when your stop the DAW etc. You could try sending the sound from the sub 37 track to a bus with no output and do your audio recording there so you dont need to have sub 37 track selected and Record enabled while your recording. You could also try checking out input filters in Project Settings -> Midi

Also if you get random blips and triggeres you might have MIDI in enabled in your piano roll so it records stuff on the fly before your actualy ready!
good luck

- Moof

wordsdrawnigh

Post by wordsdrawnigh » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:42 pm

Are you trying to use the Sub 37 as a MIDI controller to play virtual instruments in Logic, or are you trying to record audio from the Sub 37 itself? The Sub 37 does not transfer audio over USB.

eldiablosub

Post by eldiablosub » Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:32 pm

I integrate the sub using usb and also through an audio interface. Im new to synthesis and am trying to record several layers just mess around really while i get to grips with it. This problem is really anoying as it means i can't use the sub with logic. it sounds like it could be a midi loop but I'm only using midi through usb. sub works perfectly when not used with logic. I don't know what else to try.

MoogyMace

Post by MoogyMace » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:56 am

Hey mate.... Did you figure it out in the end? I'm having the same problem.

breun

Post by breun » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:37 pm

The Sub 37 firmware update comes with a PDF that explains how to setup a Sub 37 with Logic. Have you tried following those tips?

stewdio

Post by stewdio » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:26 pm

breun wrote:The Sub 37 firmware update comes with a PDF that explains how to setup a Sub 37 with Logic. Have you tried following those tips?

I can't find this PDF you mention (although I have my 37 working pretty well with Logic I'd be quite interested to see what they say about it officially)
Which firmware updated are you referring to? I have 1.1 but don't see anything DAW specific...
instagram.com/stew_crookes
stewcrookes.com

~ all meters ~ all red ~ all the time ~

breun

Post by breun » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:44 am

The latest firmware is version 1.2.0, which comes with the Sub 37 Editor 1.0.0 download.

But somehow I can't seem to find that PDF now... I'll let you know when I find it.

However, there is this important message in the Sub 37 Editor User Manual on page 10:
WARNING: Before using your Sub 37 with a DAW, go to the GLOBAL SETTINGS section of the SETUP menu. Under the LOCAL CONTROL section – turn Keys, Wheels and Panel OFF to prevent MIDI issues. Be sure to turn these back ON when not in use with a DAW. If you do not do this, Local Control will be turned off and your Sub 37 will not produce sound.

stewdio

Post by stewdio » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:20 am

breun wrote:The latest firmware is version 1.2.0, which comes with the Sub 37 Editor 1.0.0 download.

But somehow I can't seem to find that PDF now... I'll let you know when I find it.

However, there is this important message in the Sub 37 Editor User Manual on page 10:
WARNING: Before using your Sub 37 with a DAW, go to the GLOBAL SETTINGS section of the SETUP menu. Under the LOCAL CONTROL section – turn Keys, Wheels and Panel OFF to prevent MIDI issues. Be sure to turn these back ON when not in use with a DAW. If you do not do this, Local Control will be turned off and your Sub 37 will not produce sound.

cool - thanks
I've been turning off local but was curious if there's a more nuanced set of moves for DAW integration possibly within Logic itself (other than the global input filters in the song settings)
instagram.com/stew_crookes
stewcrookes.com

~ all meters ~ all red ~ all the time ~

muleskinner

Post by muleskinner » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:54 pm

I rarely turn local control off and it works fine for me!
Noise, Noodles and Doodles: http://bit.ly/mrjonesthebutcher

Straight-P

Post by Straight-P » Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:22 pm

Hello all,

I have this same problem. Only way i can get it to act right is to play it organically with audio in.
If i am using the Sub 37 editor it always gives me a weird feedback or extra distorted signal once i hit record. I then have to re-double click a preset in the editor while recording and then turn a knob to get it to play the sound.
I also have all the PDF's they offered on the Moog page and none of them contain anything on this setup process.
But, what i really need i guess, is a walkthrough on how somebody with Logic X makes their midi and BPM sync the Moog so i can be able to quantize when i wish etc..

I would probably pay somebody at this point to just give me a nice "workflow" walkthrough on how they run their Sub 37 through Logic seamlessly.

I am doing something wrong and it's quite frustrating.

Thanks in advance

muleskinner

Post by muleskinner » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:16 am

Are you guys using USB or MIDI DIN?

I have not had any problems with either though I use DIN mainly via a Motu MIDI Express XT - the only problem I ever get is that if Logic cycles before a note has been released that note gets 'stuck' on the Sub37 and the only way I can reset it is by pressing the octave+- keys together.

I haven't used the editor as a plug-in but I've used it standalone whilst using Logic and haven't run into any distortion issues.

Logic sends MIDI clock to the Sub 37 fine for me also (under MIDI sync settings).

Straight-P

Post by Straight-P » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:03 pm

I think i JUST found the answer last night.
I have been trying to figure this out for weeks. I came across this article on Logic X Sub 37
Now mine is working. I think i just had my head wrapped around everything wrong. I havent printed a track yet but this got me going last night. Able to play, then quantize the MIDI notes, syncing the Logic BPM and also using the S37 editor to change sounds. No more feedback. Biggest part was turning off the "local control" on the Moog first.

Here is the article!
Hopefully this will help somebody else in the future

---> http://9to5mac.com/2015/07/19/logic-how ... l-plug-in/ <-----

muleskinner

Post by muleskinner » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:36 am

Ah - that's possibly why I have no issues. I don't use that 'external instrument' plug-in but do it 'old school' with two separate tracks, one to send the MIDI out and another to record the incoming audio (when I'm ready to do so).

I didn't even realise that 'external instrument' thing existed!

dr_dohh

Post by dr_dohh » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:36 am

Straight-P wrote:I think i JUST found the answer last night.
I have been trying to figure this out for weeks. I came across this article on Logic X Sub 37
Now mine is working. I think i just had my head wrapped around everything wrong. I havent printed a track yet but this got me going last night. Able to play, then quantize the MIDI notes, syncing the Logic BPM and also using the S37 editor to change sounds. No more feedback. Biggest part was turning off the "local control" on the Moog first.

Here is the article!
Hopefully this will help somebody else in the future

---> http://9to5mac.com/2015/07/19/logic-how ... l-plug-in/ <-----
hi! just got my Sub 37 last week. I tried doing this, but for some reason the sub 37 isn't included in the external instrument outputs. (as opposed to my roland boutiques). I tried toggling local control on and off, and i can't seem to figure it out.

i've also got some other problems - i think logic is sending weird commands to my sub 37 - after i press stop, or add a track in logic, my sub 37 either mutes or gives out a very low (almost inaudible) sound. i have to switch presets in order it to get it working again. any ideas how to make this work?

Thanks!