SUB PHATTY AUDIO INPUT HISSING INTO LOGIC

Everything Sub.
Pony Boy

SUB PHATTY AUDIO INPUT HISSING INTO LOGIC

Post by Pony Boy » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:45 am

I connect my sub phatty to logic using a usb to rca cable. I put 6mm jack adapters on the rcas and when i select the input the moog becomes live but there is a hiss that is sooo painful!!! I have a new mac and they got rid of the 3.5mm jack input and turned to usb so that has made it a little tougher! (a bloody heartbreak!!) i know that this is not the best way to connect it because the sub phatty is mono and the current connection is stereo but im basically asking for help from people to find out the best way to connect it to the computer.
External Sound card? mono cable connection?
Please help me!!! This hiss is driving me bananas!!
Cheers

Bald Eagle

Re: SUB PHATTY AUDIO INPUT HISSING INTO LOGIC

Post by Bald Eagle » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:19 am

I would get a decent entry level external audio interface. No point having a nice sounding Sub Phatty if you're just going to feed the signal into a cheap converter cable. Check out the Focusrite Scarlet 2i2.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Scarlett2i2/

Portamental

Post by Portamental » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:15 am

Check this thread on noisy output, maybe this will help

Obermud

Post by Obermud » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:56 pm

Hi Pony Boy,

I think you need a good audio interface. I have a Apogee Ensemble and am recording my Sub Phatty into Logic X. When I first got my Sub Phatty and plugged it into my ensemble I noticed a hum that was driving me bananas too! Long story short, I ended up buying a Hum Eliminator by a company called EBTECH. Here is a link to their site… http://www.ebtechaudio.com/hedes.html

It's a box that I plug the out put of the Sub Phatty to, then the out of the Hum Eliminator to my ensemble. Done! No more hum!! It's that easy!!! I'm not saying that is the problem you are experiencing cause it sounds like you need a good audio interface, but I figure I'd share this info in case anyone was expereancing the same problem I had. Basically I had a ground loop hum, but the Hum Eliminator took care of that problem and now My Sub Phatty sound oh so sweet!!!

ttimotthhtty

Post by ttimotthhtty » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:11 pm

I've had USB grounding issues before. Are you using a laptop? If so does the noise change when you run it off the battery? Any difference when you use a grounded charging unit?

robml

Post by robml » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:49 am

the sub phatty needs to run into an "instrument in" jack of a soundcard - not line in. they have different voltages of signal level.

the reason you are getting hiss is because the sub phatty signal has to be amplified so much by the rca to usb adapter that its also amplifying the ground noise of the rca to usb cable.

if you have a mac you could try running a 1/4 inch lead to the 3.5mm microphone-in jack on the mac via an adapter.

but what you should really do is buy a decent sound card as already suggested.

cheers