MIDI port conflict between Ableton Live and Editor?

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
barryfell

MIDI port conflict between Ableton Live and Editor?

Post by barryfell » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:06 pm

I'm having great trouble getting my Minitaur (or more precisely Editor) to play nice with Ableton Live.

There seems to be some sort of MIDI port conflict between the two. If I load up Editor without Live running I can select Minitaur from the input and output under the MIDI setup from the "Under the Hood" page and the firmware version changes from ??? to 2.0.0 and everything works in terms of presets changing Editor etc.

However, when I then load Live I can't use the Minitaur as the ports are disabled (as Live indications in orange as below)

If I don't have the Editor open then open Live sees the Minitaur and I can play notes via a midi keyboard and record automation from the hardware no problem. If I then try to open the Editor the firmware version shows as ??? (even after changing the input/output to something else then back again) and nothing works.

This all means I can't have both Live and the Editor open at the same time, which is obviously a critical problem as I need to be able to browse and save presets.

Any ideas what could be up?

Needless to say, I've erased and updated the v2.0.0 firmware several times, and tried many power cycles of all elements of my system.

I'm not 100% sure what the Track/Sync/Remote settings should be on Live's midi preferences page but i've tried all combinations for the Minitaur and had no luck.
Last edited by barryfell on Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

barryfell

Re: MIDI port conflict between Ableton Live and Editor?

Post by barryfell » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:04 am

From reading other posts I can see I'm not the only one with this trouble, and nobody has been able to offer a fix so do I have to accept that Ableton Live and the Minitaur are not compatible if you want to use the Editor at the same time?

I only bought this after seeing Amos' videos of using Minitaur with Ableton so feeling a bit cheated.

I'll be very disappointed if I have to sell this Minitaur due to the problems it has.

barryfell

Post by barryfell » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:00 pm

OK I've finally fixed the problem. However, the Editor is acting a little strange but still works as needed. :D

All along I've been following the instructions here for using the Editor simultaneously with a USB midi controller.

Regarding this part:
Minitaur Editor -

"Under the Hood", MIDI SETUP:
1.) Set INPUTS to Moog Minitaur
2.) Set OUTPUTS to LoopBE (or whatever virtual MIDI driver you are using)
I've discovered setting the INPUTS to LoopBE allows me to use the Minitaur with MIDI out (so I can write automation in my DAW), Ableton Live and the Editor simultaneously with the ability to change presets which is what I wanted so all good!

It stops Ableton showing the Minitaur input port as orange (disabled) and reads MIDI from the hardware no problem.

Issues to note when doing this are that the Editor stops reflecting the hardware changes on the Editor GUI and gives a random number under the firmware version section, but I can live with that. I did notice that if I changed the inputs in the Editor the firmware number keeps changing displaying random numbers and eventually crashes the hardware which requires a power cycle to recover.

I hope this helps other Ableton users out.

nupski

Post by nupski » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:15 pm

thanks Barry, that is very useful!